Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2007, 12:25 PM   #21
Merolu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My baby is too natural :o(

I don't have a girl, but my oldest was a que-ball til 2 years. No one knew how to address him... they would trip over the him/her designations, lol. Then with my second... man, I could have that boy in blue and red primary with trucks on his pants and tools on his shirt, his name is Mack and people would tell me what a beautiful little girl I had. I think it was the hair. They are both blue eyed and pink/white complected, but one has straight red hair, the other has red-gold curls.
Whatever you choose to do or not do to you daughter, don't worry about other peoples opinions. I don't always follow the "boy" colors for my kids.

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2007, 12:27 PM   #22
Knits on Earth
Registered Users
Formerly: eden/averymumm
seller

My Mood:

I don't want to encourage you to try to appease people's misconceptions about what girls are vs. what boys are. but making pillowcase dresses is very easy, you can even buy the fabric here

or tie dye the shirts "girly" colours.

my girls get mistaken for boys half the time. but look quite "girly" the other half of the time :shrug
Knits on Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:34 PM   #23
Cheyanne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch_babe View Post
Can you buy plain dresses for her that would fit over the wool? I've never heard of anyone mistaking a child in a dress for a boy....
My dd was mistaken for a boy in a pink dress with a bow on her head and earrings! some people just dont think before they speak and others dont care!
Cheyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:45 PM   #24
Persikka
Registered Users
Formerly: kjoslyn
seller

my DD#1 was 6 weeks preemie - so everything she had to wear was pink (preemie sizes it's all pink or boy - or white with pink or blue)... and she had on a "Thank Heaven for Little Girls" outfit and was called a boy. People generally think before they speak (FYI all my kids have been bald as bald can be - DD#1 until almost 3, DD#2 until 2 and DS just turned 1).

Kudos for you keeping things simple and plain.. there is no reason to "gussy up" every day - even if cost, etc wasnt the issue. Most days we're lucky to get out of PJs unless we need to go out

Doing the t-shirts is an awesome idea!! I haven't done them myself but a lot of mamas post their creations in the craft section here - they might have some tips!!

Persikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #25
todzwife
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Dresses. Esp. in the summer. hugs!
todzwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:05 PM   #26
spacecat1974
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch_babe View Post
Can you buy plain dresses for her that would fit over the wool? I've never heard of anyone mistaking a child in a dress for a boy....
I have. Happened to my sister and I saw it happen. She was wearing a pink ruffly dress, had a ribbon in her hair, lacey bobby socks and patent leather mary janes.

My DS dresses like a total boy and HE gets mistaken for a girl a lot of the time.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #27
Skye5000us
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh Please don't stress yourself out over that! I get it all the time. The call dd a boy and they call ds2 a girl. ds2 (the one in my avator) was just called a girl by my ds1 boy scout leader who has hair well down past his shoulders. I turned around and asked him "hmmm..is it not OK to grow a boys hair long...lol" He said "aw, you got me were it hurts...lol" My dd does not have pierced ears and usually wears a T-shirt with a diap and no shoes. So people sometimes say how cute "HE" is. I just laugh and correct them...except for elderly people I just let them think what they do I figure they might not get the fact my son has hair past his shoulders and what is it really hurting anyway for someone I will prob never see again to think ds is a girl.
I have even made the occasional mistake of calling a child the wrong gender I try to be gender nutral when talking but sometimes if I'm not I get it wrong, I would hope I never would offend anyone that badly that they would be hurt about it!

Skye5000us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #28
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyMum View Post
This just a little vent:

I have a litle girl and I am getting a little bummed. I like things plain and simple with her
~no earrings
~no hair bows ( she doesn't have much hair)
~No shoes

I mean for the most part she just wears her wool pants and a white t shirt ( I bought a whole bunch from old navy)

I gte so much hassle from other people, they call her a little boy, make negative comments baout my baby wearing and cloth diapers ( I use prefolds and pins or snappis) I just get it all the way around.

Sometimes I want her to have on something cutsy but most clothing does not fit over her wool. I'm just looking for a little support. I'm feeling really low right about now, not to metion I'm homeschooling my three year old who swears he know none of his letters right now ( he knows them all) I just feel all alone
These people would have LOVED me! My daughter NEVER wore a head bow or a head band (I HATE those things). She almost always wore blue, airplanes, trains, etc...her brother picked out most of her clothes. She NEVER wore pink or purple or anything remotely "girly" until she was 6 (school brought out the sparkles in her). She also does not have pierced ears.

The ONLY thing "girly" about her was that her hair grew SO long that now, at 6.5 years old, her hair is past her butt. HOWEVER, she NEVER lets me style it. It is always stick straight, right down her back.

Ignore people...you are getting social stereotypes, and your daughter doesn't need to grow up with them!
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote