Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-22-2006, 04:34 PM   #1
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ok, I have two questions

1. I bought a remnant at Joanns today that was 75% off the remnant price. It's very fuzzy/furry and very soft. I was wondering at first if it was some kind of fleece but I don't think it is.

2. What is interlock fabric used for?

3. What are the best diaper making materials for pockets and all in ones?

Thanks!

Advertisement

mandikaake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
MommaMia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ok, I have two questions

I just made my first pocket and it turned out great. It was easy too.

I used pul outer and microfleece inner and I used micro terry for the insert
The only other things you need are velcro and elastic. The PUL has to be ordered but the other things you can get a fabric store.

I haven't made an AIO yet. Good luck and have fun.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:09 PM   #3
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Right now since it's my first, I wanted to see if I could really do it. My sister-in-law and my husbands dad's wife suggested a few things. To use flannel as the outer and inner layer till we get diaper making down; and to put a shower curtain between the outer and inner layer of the diaper as a waterproof.

How does that sound?

If I get it down I would buy pul, micro suede, etc... but for now just in case I can't do it, I dno't want to spend all that money.
mandikaake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:08 PM   #4
3girlymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well..problem is with a shower curtain liner is that once you get holes in it from the needles at your seams...and if the holes don't seal up from the dryer heat, you will get leaks. I do think some people here have mentioned using them. I dunno, though.

My suggestion...just make a regular pocket fitted with no waterproof layer. If the dipe works and fits well...then just go ahead and buy some PUL and start making your pockets.

You could just get some Gerber rubber pants, or whatever they call them now, and just cut that open and use that as a PUL hidden layer. That might be better than the shower curtain liner. I wonder though how that material would seal up at the seams?
3girlymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:54 PM   #5
ramiahj
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandikaake View Post
To use flannel as the outer and inner layer till we get diaper making down; and to put a shower curtain between the outer and inner layer of the diaper as a waterproof.

How does that sound?
I've used a shower curtain liner before It works ok. But you have hide it and that extra layer always seems to bulk it up and it also tends to wick more. Also, it's not as breathable as the PUL. But it does get the job done most of the time.

I also found a pillowcase cover on clearance that was made of PUL and I used that in a pocket. Generally I've found that the best bet is to use PUL though. I tried to get around it for a while, but 12098312 diapers later I'm a firm believer in the PUL
ramiahj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:29 PM   #6
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

shower courtains(and tablecloths)dont hold up to the hot washes/dries...they crack and fall apart id just make some fitteds and then do PUL later
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:36 PM   #7
mom2kdmb
Registered Users
seller

I found out a lot about diaper making and bought supplies/patterns from this site

http://diapershop.com/

I can't wait to start making diapers!
mom2kdmb is offline   Reply With Quote