Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2012, 05:53 AM   #11
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:
Re: Atheist parents?

Dh and I are atheists. Religion has come up a lot lately since moving to Okinawa, our neighbors are all church going Christians. As we speak our downstairs neighbors are holding a bible study. Faith has been allowed to go to church with them a couple times and I kid you not that's all it takes...she came home saying she had Jesus in her heart and singing praise music. So it raised questions about religion and Christianity with my older boys. I really try not to "indoctrinate" with my beliefs but to explain that this is what Christianity means and this is what Christians believe. I tell them things about the bible and ask them if that makes sense to them...is it something they can believe in? I want them to make logical, informed decisions...so I try very hard to be unbiased. I also want them to be realistic and live the life they have now, the one we know exists... I always tell them I love them no matter what they believe, if they want to believe in God and that Jesus died to save us from our sins then they can. We will spend time learning about different religions as well.

ETA: DH and I were high school sweethearts and went to church together. We even went to bible study as a couple, lol!

Last edited by JackieLyn; 06-12-2012 at 05:54 AM.
JackieLyn is offline   Reply With Quote