Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
lindsayjean
Registered Users

Newbie questions!

So my almost 12 month old (her bday is tomorrow!) has been peeing and pooping in a potty chair for a few weeks now. I wasn't REALLY planning on ECing but I just would set her on a potty chair while she was diaper free airing out and she just started going and now I catch all her poops and lots of pees and she will go instantly when I set her on there (usually).

but not when we go someplace out of the house, which is a lot of the time, she CRIES when she has to go to the bathroom but will NOT go on an adult toilet. I'm sure because at home she sits on her own little potty chair. So... what should I do? Last night she was MISERABLE when we went out to eat because I know she had to go pee and I tried holding her over the adult toilet... NO WAY and she peed in her potty and soon as we got home and had a dry diaper.

SOOO... what can I do? My mom (who surprisingly thinks this is cool even though she thinks CDing is stupid ) just bought a potty cover for an adult toilet and a portable potty chair form babysRus that I haven't seen yet- would that work? Or how should I go about getting her to go when holding her over an adult toilet.

THANKS! I'm getting really into this! I think it's so cool that she lets me know when she has to go!

Advertisement

ISO: newborn/small woolies- shorties and soakers
lindsayjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
akrancher
Registered Users
seller

Re: Newbie questions!

we are in the same boat. DS is 15 months and we have been at it since he was 13 months. We originally bought a seat reducer that goes right over our seat. It sounds like that is what you are getting. Ours is a Baby Bjorn and it is huge. It would be fine for holding DS, but there is no way he could sit there by himself. He would still fall through the whole. He is about 21lbs. It doesn't seen to portable either since because of the size. I don't know what to do when we are out.
I am thinking about just putting our extra BBLP in the car and heading out to the car when DS needs to go. However, it is pretty cold here for that.

Maybe if you got your LO used to going on the big potty at home than she wouldn't be so gun shy when out and about? I do know they make seat reducers that are super portable and fold up nicely. I am going to check into them for us.

i'll be watching for other's comments.
akrancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
kochanyk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Folding potty chair or sitting backward. Both my kids have always used a big potty- my guess is if you find the right position or distraction and practice at home it just may work (ie my first would only sit backward and my 2nd- 15 mo- will only go with his butt down low to the bowl and if he gets to wipe and flush lol- but he's also more PLing then ECing as of this week).
Old 02-28-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
borja010
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're in the same boat, can't wait to see more responses. Like prev.poster said, I guess if I had started her on an adult potty she would't be so gun shy, but as it is she will try to hold it as long as poss. in the hopes that we take her to designated potty area at home
Old 02-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
allielb
Registered Users

My Mood:

OP: our DD have the same birthday. My DD doesn't potty on any big toilet, we have tried, but it is just too distracting. There is so much to look at!
We have a potty in the car and she goes consistently in that when we are out of the house.