Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #1
lil-lamb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Success stories?

Hi ladies! I've heard about EC a few times, but am not sure about it. I have been skeptical, but have also been hopeful and intrigued. So I was hoping some of you might be kind enough to share your success stories with me. Like, do you have an older child that has been fully "potty trained" (not sure if you use this term with EC?) at an early age? Do you have a little one that has been out of diapers for a long time?

Also, when did you start EC? And are you a SAHM or a working mom?

Thanks so much!

Advertisement

lil-lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:07 PM   #2
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Re: Success stories?

Hi mama, not much of a long story here but definitely a success!

We started EC'ing as soon as Whilder was old enough to sit up however I'd call how we did it "part time." We'd take brakes when she went through phases of not wanting to, or when we went on vacation, and we never EC'd at night. I loved my diapers too much to take it very seriously By one year old she was pretty much always using the potty for poop and using it 50% of the time for pee. By 16 months I considered her PL'd, only having the occational pee miss. And now at 21 months she is doing great, we had one accident in the last 2 weeks, oh and she sleeps diaperless, she uses the potty right before bed and first thing in the morning, and sometimes even wakes in the night to go!

HTH!
& Baby Xo Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:50 AM   #3
nalazimbala
Registered Users
seller

well we aren't fully there yet, but here's us so far... we started part-time with Evan when she was 2 or 3 weeks old. I mainly went for the pees that I knew were coming (after naps/eating/etc..) I didn't really worry about it when we were out of the house. (I do work from home so we are home alot). For the past month or so I've been trying to focus on it more and do more full-time and we've been doing just about all poops in the potty and abt 50% pees up until this week when we've done really great and only had 1-3 misses each day! Evan will be 8 months old next week.

Anyway, that's our story - it's been going really good and we've started using potties while we are out and about too.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:44 AM   #4
youmb00
Registered Users
seller

I think they call them "graduates"

my dd is 8MO, we started when she was 2 mo. She just suddenly "got it" around 3 month mark. We have been having lots of fun with it ever since. I am very relaxed about it all, if I catch lots, great! but if I can't catch any one day, no big deal. dd is almost always in diapers.

"potty training" is not really a goal with ec, it's more about communicating with your LO about her needs, and keeping that instinct to not soil oneself intact. I just hate hate changing diapers so this really works for me.

just give it a try!!
youmb00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

The first time I put DS on the potty was at 4 months and it was a total fluke, he started grunting like he had to poop and I had my choice of the floor, sink, or toilet. I had been a total EC skeptic until then. But, he peed and pooped in the potty, and an hour later repeated the process. About once a week or so we would toilet him if he was grunting to poop, but it was very sporatic until about 7 or 8 months when we realized that he really could tell us when he had to go, and that is when he really started to "get it" - or maybe he had it all along and WE were the ones who were starting to get it. He started grunting like he had to poop and then when we toileted him, he would pee and giggle about it. We never did the "psst" or cue thing except when he was on the toilet and fiddling around with things, then we would tell him to hurry up and pee and would say "psst". By 8 months it was clear that he could hold it - we were driving and he started fussing, and it was a good 20-25 minutes before I was able to get to a rest stop, where I removed his dry diaper and he peed like a racehorse. At 14 months we switched to cloth, and at that point he always told us either when he had to go or had just gone. Now at 16 months I consider him PLed, he has an accident or two every couple of days, and usually wakes up dry, though the last 2 nights have been wet ones. I am not a SAHM, we both work full-time and he is in the office with us, so we are very busy people and we usually work 14-16 hour days away from home.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:11 PM   #6
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my first baby I started at 9 months old not even knowing it was ECing, he was walking and talking so he was able to tell me when he had to go and walk to the potty himself...he was in underpants full time at 14 months....As for my daughter I started at 4 days and she was in training pants on outings at 5 months old and in panties at home from 5months old...but as I got lazy and pregnant I started taking her less than I usually was so I put her back in fitteds although she is now walking and talking now so we are going to work on her independantly going so I can have her in panties full time by the time her brother gets here when Skye is 13 1/2 months and I will start day one ECing our newest baby...
Old 03-03-2008, 11:37 PM   #7
tsfairy
Registered Users
seller

We started ECing DS1 at about 10 weeks old, and I went back to work full time from 12 weeks until about 6mo. He was in diapers at daycare, but his daytime diapering never seemed to interfere with ECing. In fact his DCP kept wondering if there was something wrong because he "never pooped." We didn't tell her about EC, so she didn't realize when we said he was going at night and in the morning that we meant in the potty. He also woke up from naps dry and then flooded his dipe... drove her crazy.

He was dry all night (9+ hours) starting at 13ish weeks, and we ditched night dipes soon after that. He was mostly nekkie at home, and we moved to absorbent undies (aka Gerber training pants) at 7mo for going out. Used wool over the top for a month or so, then just undies. We still had our fair share of "misses" for quite a while, but he was getting close to being a "grad" by 16 months. Then we had a long, serious illness, including a hospital stay with IV fluids, and spent the next couple of months in pullups.

I considered him "potty trained" by well before a year. We were down to basically a couple of accidents per month by 20ish mo.

My experience with DS2 has been a little different. We're dealing with some major food allergies, and now that I've finally eliminated a bunch of foods from my diet we're seeing some amazing stuff. He woke up dry this morning after sleeping 11ish hours, and then peed on the potty! We had a grand total of 3 pee misses and 0 poop misses today... so we may be on our way to another success story. Oh and he started signing "potty" last week ("milk" too!!)
Old 03-04-2008, 02:36 PM   #8
lil-lamb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you guys have some pretty impressive stories you've shared with me. thank you! I'm getting more motivated to research and possibly try ECing out too. Unfortunately, I work full time in the military, so I'm concerned it might not be as successful as I'd like... but it probably can't hurt to do it while I'm home, eh?
lil-lamb is offline   Reply With Quote