Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
luvr4ula
Registered Users

My Mood:
Wow wow wow...someone please inform me!

I've been on diaperswappers for awhile but never ventured into this area of the site...until tonite...and I'm so confused!!

What is it that you believe here? That babies can be potty trained?? How does this happen exactly??

I'm honestly curious, not trying to be nasty or anything, but I've NEVER heard this before!! Please give me ur info

Advertisement

*Wife to Leonel- since 12.23.05*
luvr4ula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
Thenu
Registered Users
seller

Re: Wow wow wow...someone please inform me!

EC is not potty training. It is communication . It is very gentle and not forcing anything on babies. EC can be done from the day they were born . Yes, it might help for early potty learning (like around 18 months to 2 years) . Basically I didnt want my DS to sit in his excretion , I used to change his diapers(disposable) after every pee. I came to know about EC only when DS was 11 months and now he is so aware of his bodily functions. It is really amazing when DS lets me know when he wants to go . I am planning to start ECing with my next baby from day one .
Old 03-02-2008, 08:23 PM   #3
lunabelle
Registered Users

My Mood:

NAK
EC is even better for the environment than cding alone. If you know when your LO is peeing or pooping, why not hold them over the toilet and save a dry dipe?? You can build an even stronger bond with your baby and pick up on subtle cues you may not have been aware of before. Your baby will stay aware of eliminating instead of having to reteach them later about holding it and pushing, letting go etc. and yes, I believe babies can "hold it" and will once they trust that you will take them somewhere where the can eliminate.. but by far my favourite part is not having to deal with poop all over my babies bottom half and instead a little 1 square wipe!!
We EC part time here so still have a lot of wet diapers here most days.
lunabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:47 PM   #4
luvr4ula
Registered Users

My Mood:

interesting....im still very confused about the techniques...etc.

*Wife to Leonel- since 12.23.05*
luvr4ula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:36 AM   #5
gracenglory75
Registered Users
seller

I just started this over the weekend because I was so aware of when my girl was pooping, I thought, "why not just hold her over the toilet when she's doing it since I know about it instead of soiling a diaper?" I was shocked when she went! Plus a friend sent me a book that had me hooked by Chapter 2!
Right now, I'm still learning peeing cues, but I do take her when she first wakes up and right after she nurses, cuz those are pretty set peeing times for her.
Check out this book. It's an easy read and quite understandable as to HOW:
The Diaper Free Baby by christine Gross-Loh. You can find it on Amazon.
Chuck's Bride. BF'ing, delayed vacc'ing, no circ'ing, CD'ing, gardening, natural living Mama to Miracle and Mason (2/7/11) with two angel babies, Daniel (8/05) and Nathaniel (7/13/09 ruptured ectopic pregnancy)
gracenglory75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:24 PM   #6
gracefaith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Basically, we believe that babies are born with the knowledge of when they need to go and the desire not to soil themselves. Just like we learn to read our babies cues about when they are hungry, we can learn our babies cues about when they need to go and take them to the potty. Many, many cultures traditionally use this method rather than diapers. Some ECers go so far as to say that we in this culture "diaper train" our babies by teaching them to ignore their elimination needs and just go whenever in a diaper. Then we have to reteach them elimination awareness at potty training age.

The method is not complicated. You pay attention to your baby and when it seems he needs to go, you take him to a potty and make a cueing sound (usually "psssssss"). You baby then begins to associate this sound with the need to go and also understands that his elimination needs will be met in a certain way. He soon begins to cue you more deliberately when he needs to go so that you will take him to potty. He'll also wait or hold it until you make the cueing sound.

I just got back from an one and half hour walk with my DS (3.5 mo old) in a stroller today. I pottied him before we left (he peed) and immediately when we got back (he pooped and peed). In the interim, he slept, woke, played with a toy, and his diaper stayed dry. ECing is amazing.

Last edited by gracefaith; 03-03-2008 at 03:27 PM.
gracefaith is offline   Reply With Quote