Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-18-2016, 06:16 PM   #11
Mama2fluffybutt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby lead weaning/ baby lead feeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by melichurchill View Post
I am attempting BLW with my 7 month old. He wants food so bad. But when I give him avacado or banana or sweet potato he smashes and smears it and get none in his mouth. If I am holding him and I attempt to eat or drink something he cries if I dont let him have it.. But it usually something not baby friendly.. chips, popcorn, ice cream I have sppon fed him some smashed food just to keep him from getting frustrated and finger painting his food... He gags a lot too.. Hopefully this will get easier. He has no teeth.

Sounds like you're doing everything right!
Exploring textures and making a mess is probably the most important part. Gagging is completely normal as they get used to moving and push around the food in their mouth, and more food will wind up smushed to mush than actually gets eaten, but you'll see all the goodies that actually went down after the diaper change. Teeth are not required as long as food is soft enough to gum. Just make sure you're giving large enough pieces for lo to pickup and hold. He will be able to take his own bites. I'll usually give ds half a banana or a quarter of the avocado or a whole cooked carrot. Now that he realizes food has taste he will want to try everything you have, just keep offering him what he can have. We alway keep celery sticks in the house b/c they are a natural pain reliever for teething pain, so when I'm eating something ds can't have I give him a celery stick to gnaw on. It occupies him long enough for me to finish eating and he doesn't know the difference. If you give him celery just be careful when he does get a tooth b/c he could break off tiny pieces at that point. My ds is 9m now and has two teeth. He pretty much eats everything I put in front of him, he still makes a huge mushy mess, but a lot more goes down.

Advertisement

Mama2fluffybutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:56 AM   #12
Msprag01
Registered Users

I am SUPER interested in BLW. My baby is 6.5 months old. When I put food (avocado, sweet potato, banana) in front of her, she just smashes it around her tray. I've ended up spoon feeding her more. Am i ruining my chances of successful BLW? How else can I start?
Msprag01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:37 PM   #13
Mama2fluffybutt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msprag01 View Post
I am SUPER interested in BLW. My baby is 6.5 months old. When I put food (avocado, sweet potato, banana) in front of her, she just smashes it around her tray. I've ended up spoon feeding her more. Am i ruining my chances of successful BLW? How else can I start?
You're not ruining your chances, but you don't need to spoon feed her either. In the beginning it's more exploratory. She's learning about textures and she may get in a taste or two at first. It's not about consuming the food just yet. Let her get a feel for things and make a mess. She probably won't really begin eating it for another month or two. The more you offer, though, the quicker she'll get a hang of it. If she seems frustrated b/c she wants to put it in her mouth, but doesn't quite have the coordination yet, just help steady her hand by holding her elbow.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:56 PM   #14
lilwoods2be
Registered Users
seller

I am attempting BLW with my 7 month old. He loves to smash food everywhere. We've tried banana, sweet potato and broccoli. He probably got the most broccoli down because he could hold the stem and chew on the head. Are there any foods besides honey I should avoid? And when can I give him mixes rather than just single fruits and veggies? Thanks!!
lilwoods2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:11 PM   #15
Armymom31
Registered Users

My Mood:

Honestly, we were giving my son steak at that age. Anything that he can pick up should be fine. Carrots, apples, green beans, cooked broccoli. The way it works, is that a primate's grip coincides with the position of the larynx in the throat (which is also coincides with language). The higher the larynx, the less possibility to choke (which is why nonhumans rarely choke, their larynx is high in their throat.) Anyway, whatever the child can pick up will be too big to choke on and if he does choke then he will quickly cough it up. This isn't to say that you should watch him when he eats, you always should, and don't feed him whole food, let him pick it up himself. (I'm an anthropologist if that helps my credibility at all )
Armymom31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:06 PM   #16
Mama2fluffybutt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwoods2be View Post
I am attempting BLW with my 7 month old. He loves to smash food everywhere. We've tried banana, sweet potato and broccoli. He probably got the most broccoli down because he could hold the stem and chew on the head. Are there any foods besides honey I should avoid? And when can I give him mixes rather than just single fruits and veggies? Thanks!!
I pretty much started giving my son whatever I cooked for dinner within his first week of blw. The recommendation used to be no honey and no peanut butter before one, but now if peanut allergies don't run in your family, it's now recommend to wait until 6 months for peanut butter. You also just want to avoid chocking hazards like grapes, you need to peal off the skin if you want to offer them to lo.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:06 PM   #17
Mama2fluffybutt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armymom31 View Post
Honestly, we were giving my son steak at that age. Anything that he can pick up should be fine. Carrots, apples, green beans, cooked broccoli. The way it works, is that a primate's grip coincides with the position of the larynx in the throat (which is also coincides with language). The higher the larynx, the less possibility to choke (which is why nonhumans rarely choke, their larynx is high in their throat.) Anyway, whatever the child can pick up will be too big to choke on and if he does choke then he will quickly cough it up. This isn't to say that you should watch him when he eats, you always should, and don't feed him whole food, let him pick it up himself. (I'm an anthropologist if that helps my credibility at all )
Very interesting reading about the science behind why blw works. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2016, 11:27 AM   #18
lemieuxcrew
Registered Users
seller

my dd is 3 months and we plan to start BLW whenever she cues she is ready (after 6 months but not exactly at 6 just when she seems interested) ive been reading tons about it trying to get more educated on the matter! we are excited to allow her to be in charge per say. do you still follow the 1 new food every 4 days at minimum rule?
lemieuxcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:07 PM   #19
dancingriss
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armymom31 View Post
(I'm an anthropologist if that helps my credibility at all )
Do you have any literature you can recommend for BLW? I loved reading The Informed Parent that was released in April and Expecting Better was great too. Do you have any books or sites you like?
dancingriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:21 PM   #20
lisjump
Registered Users
seller

It's possible to do a mix of BLW and traditional style. My kids have generally fed themselves the same dinner the family eats, but I can't handle three messy meals a day, so I do other stuff throughout the day.
lisjump is offline   Reply With Quote