Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2006, 08:41 AM   #31
hby
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: HELP! My newborn has me stressed and stumped!

One other thing I thought of in the night. While I was nursing my two year old is. I thought you mentioned your baby was about 4 weeks old? That is the time when their intestines really start to move around and start working. (Of course they are working before that but they really wake up now) So, a lot of times especially when it is sleep time they really notice their tummies. Also, the reflux thing really can't be diagnois except through biospy which they really don't do. Doctors just guess it may be that and put them on the medicine and if it "seems" to work then they say yep it was reflux. I hope the some of these suggestions from all the Mamas will help you and your little one.
Hattie

Advertisement

hby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:04 AM   #32
wyovol
Registered Users

I also suggest swaddling. It was the only way we could get our son to sleep when he was tiny. We also used the Miracle Blanket and it worked like a charm. Our little guy just needed to be tightly swaddled so that he would calm down.

to you.
wyovol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:55 AM   #33
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, thank you all so much for the world of suggestions.

I had another friend mention the possibility of an ear infection, so I am going to be taking her temperature today to see if it is at all elevated.

I'd never heard of a Miracle blanket, but I am definately going to be looking out for one now!

I have a Maya Wrap, but again, it puts her in a semi-laying down position and she cries and cries. I have a second hand Baby Bjorn front carrier here that Im going to try today if I can figure the darn thing out. Maybe it will be a success!

Im definately considering calling her Pediatrician tomorrow if tonight is another fussy/sleepless night. Last night was better than the ones before, but still not really normal. I also worry that her sleeping so little is part of the problem. Overexhaustion just compounds what is already going on, Im sure.

My husband has been trying his darndest to help, but he gets so nervous and stressed that almost as soon as he takes her she cries. I think she is feeling all his tension and gets upset, because as soon as I take her back she quiets down nicely.

I have WELEDA tummy oil that I might try on her belly.

Also, a friend suggested laying her on her LEFT side to sleep because the opening to the stomech is on the left? Id never heard this. Anyone know about this particular recommendation?
Old 08-15-2006, 11:08 AM   #34
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

MY 5 week old refuses to sleep in his pack-n-play... he hates it when he can't SEE people. I alwas nurse with us lying down, so I know for my kiddo, it's not reflux. WE actually let Sam sleep in a bouncer chair. He practically lives in that thing! It might be easier than using a carseat (mine is UBER heavy... the bouncer is less than 10 pounds). Plus the bouncer we have vibrates... which is Sam's favorite thing! Just another suggestion from another pooped out mama!
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:32 AM   #35
MamaJo
Go sell crazy some place else, we're all stocked up here.
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Just a little note about the carseats.....those little bucket seats are not good to let babies sleep in..for extended periods of time anyway. The position it puts them in can affect their breathing.

I'd definately look into the possibility of reflux. But, it could also just be a behavioral thing rather than medical. You should check out the book The Happiest Baby on the Block - its really good and I think it would be best to get started with it early.

My ds was very colicly....but he wasn't gassy and he didn't have relfux. It was more of a meltdown time thing, like he was just overwhelmded by the environment. For the first month, we could hardly leave our house! We took him to the ILs and it resulted in a complete meltdown for no reason. He didn't like it when I talked when he nursed - that was from day one in the hospitail though All I could do was whisper. A lot of times though, the "colic" kicks in around 6 weeks....his colic did, but he was "sensitive" from the get go...

So, if the docs don't find anything, I think that book would be really good to check out

Taking a break to focus on God & family

MamaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:17 PM   #36
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I will definately be looking for that book, thanks!

And Emma does have a few behavioral "oddities". For instance she cannot stand being in the carseat or in the car. She will scream until she passes out. NO JOKE. And that was from the trip home from the Birth Center and every time sense then. She also hates being bathed. Even a spongebath is enough to get her shrieking like a siren. Poor baby.

My sister and I were both very high maintenance babies. I wonder if it could just be genetic? (lol)
Old 08-17-2006, 04:54 PM   #37
jaci_hutton
Registered Users
seller

this sounds like julie. i am reading dr.sears the fussy baby book and omg!! what a difference!!!!! i definetely suggest it!! big mama!!!
Old 08-17-2006, 05:01 PM   #38
marelle4381
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Try a sling maybe, so your arms arent so tired. Like a moby wrap or something. My little guy loves it. HTH
Old 08-17-2006, 06:08 PM   #39
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseemom
I will definately be looking for that book, thanks!

And Emma does have a few behavioral "oddities". For instance she cannot stand being in the carseat or in the car. She will scream until she passes out. NO JOKE. And that was from the trip home from the Birth Center and every time sense then. She also hates being bathed. Even a spongebath is enough to get her shrieking like a siren. Poor baby.
(lol)
That was my DD! HATED the car seat and car, and baths too. I am telling you weissbluth's "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" also check out the dairy allergy, my DD had one but I only needed to be off of dairy for a couple of months. She could not eat it until she was 16mo, but she loves it now (21 mo).

Also, she was never a candidate for co-sleeping. She never slept well with us, and only started sleeping through the night when we moved her to her own room at 5 months. She is so social, that she would refused to be rocked to sleep starting around 10 weeks. She would stay completely awake staring at me and my husband as long as we were in the room or rocking her. Too much, every other kid I know slept better with mom and dad..........

Just follow your instincts, learn to listen to your inner voice, it is the best parenting book around.
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:27 PM   #40
rds989
Registered Users
seller

First of all, you sound like a perfectly lovely Mommy to me! A difficult baby combined with the adjustments and recovery of early post-partum days is a very, very tough situation for even the most resilient of Moms. So this is for you:

Second, Emma sounds like she might be both a sensitive/high needs kiddo, and also have some gastric distress. We had this w/dd, who had severe reflux. She was very fussy, didn't sleep for long, had to be fed while being walked around(!), was super tense & tight, screamed a LOT... She didn't vomit, so I thought it couldn't be reflux, but I was WAY wrong.

I'd definitely invest in a good carrier. Pouches/slings didn't work for Susannah, b/c she could stand to have any pressure on her tummy, so we used a Baby Bjorn which helped her to be as vertical as possible. Another good choice would be a wrap, mei tai, or Ergo. I'd definitely take her to the doc to investigate whether she's in pain. Sometimes it doesn't "just pass" - we got Susannah medication at 13 weeks, and she ended up needing meds until 10 mos.

And if, like we had, your dd is a high needs baby on top of it all, some of this might be over-stimulation and stuff like that. Try to see what her triggers are and avoid them. And if something works to calm her down, go for it - a bath in a dark room, infant massage, a white noise machine - I once knew a baby who LOVED watching Jeopardy! And GET YOURSELF A BREAK. If she's crying and won't stop, have Dad put on the carrier and walk her for a while. It's a lot to deal with, and you need to get some time away if you possibly can, so you can recharge your batteries and be fully available to her emotionally.

My old DS feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...?topic=11507.0
rds989 is offline   Reply With Quote