Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #11
mookie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dairy free?

The absolute best reference book and cook book I have found is "Go Dairy Free." There is fabulous information in there about calcium (and how you DON'T need dairy to get it), substitutes, and my family has given a thumbs up to every recipe. The author also has a web site http://www.godairyfree.org that I see jveprek & BabyLuvinMama reference as well.

I have had no luck with store purchased dairy knock offs (with one exception... Daiya cheese is excellent... we can finally eat pizza again). I am also sensitive to sugar cane and most store bought substitutes use evaporated can juice which I can't have so this cook book has been a life saver for my family.

ETA: I totally feel your pain... I LOVE all things dairy.

Advertisement

Last edited by mookie; 04-29-2011 at 10:36 PM.
mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:43 PM   #12
momof_3

Formerly: momof_2girls
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie View Post
The absolute best reference book and cook book I have found is "Go Dairy Free." There is fabulous information in there about calcium (and how you DON'T need dairy to get it), substitutes, and my family has given a thumbs up to every recipe. The author also has a web site http://www.godairyfree.org that I see jveprek & BabyLuvinMama reference as well.

I have had no luck with store purchased dairy knock offs (with one exception... Daiya cheese is excellent... we can finally eat pizza again). I am also sensitive to sugar cane and most store bought substitutes use evaporated can juice which I can't have so this cook book has been a life saver for my family.

ETA: I totally feel your pain... I LOVE all things dairy.
Mmmm....Daiya cheese is delicious!
Old 04-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #13
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ok, now I have to go find some Daiya cheese!

Now that we've been at this for almost two weeks I can already tell the stress of it is lessening. I think I was going through dairy withdrawal and was super overwhelmed. I'd had all my meals planned for the next two weeks and 80% of them had dairy! Now after two weeks of coming up with last-minute meals I'm finally back to meal planning and have a grocery list. I have most dinners planned, but could still use a few lunch ideas. Any suggestions!

And thanks everyone for the encouragement!
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:02 PM   #14
MNclothdiaperin'Momma
Registered Users

My Mood:

So glad I found this. I just started a thread today for dairy free for my DD...Needing to find things for my picky 2 yr old to replace her favorite foods Not going to be easy. Just found out we need to cut dairy for her eczema.
MNclothdiaperin'Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #15
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNclothdiaperin'Momma View Post
So glad I found this. I just started a thread today for dairy free for my DD...Needing to find things for my picky 2 yr old to replace her favorite foods Not going to be easy. Just found out we need to cut dairy for her eczema.
Definity not easy! Today we made cheeseless pizza from a premade crust. We put pinapple and sausage on it. Not too bad, and a kid who likes pizza might go for it Good luck mama!
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #16
mookie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here is my dairy-free meal plan for this week for suppers.
-BLT's (the kids eat these disassembled and put French dressing on the lettuce)
-Baja chicken tacos (with Daiya cheddar cheese)
-Pancakes (made with soy milk), fresh fruit, sausage
-Brats, spinach salad with strawberries
-Pizza with Daiya mozarella cheese
-Pineapple teriyaki bowl (Asian food has virtually no dairy so we eat Asian often!)
-Chicken fries with green beans
-Soba noodle bowls with chicken, sesame seeds, ginger, rainbow chard

Lunches: leftovers, sandwiches, hot dogs (Hebrew National), Quesadillas, fresh fruit/veggies
Breakfast: cereal with soy or almond milk, bagels with un-cream cheese (recipe from Go Dairy Free), scrambled eggs, toast

Beverages: water, soy or almond milk. My kids and husband love Very Vanilla Silk but I prefer unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

Last edited by mookie; 05-03-2011 at 03:09 PM.
mookie is offline   Reply With Quote