View Poll Results: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people don't?
Yes, primarily because of herd immunity. 118 27.83%
Yes, but not primarily because of herd immunity. 24 5.66%
No, but I wish they would. 40 9.43%
No, vaccines are a personal choice. 134 31.60%
I do not vaccinate my children. 85 20.05%
I like polls and want to see the results without answering. 23 5.42%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Re: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people dont?

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabeans View Post
http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/page...yimmunity.aspx

Herd immunity is not a myth. Educate yourself on the history of infectious diseases and why you know no one with Polio.

I have very strong feelings about this, but in a nutshell- If your child cannot handle the very small dose of a vaccination (aside of those who are allergic to a ingredient in the vaccine, this is a different story) how would they be with the full blown disease?

So yes, it does upset me. Not for me or my kids who are all up to date, but for those who are unvaccinated or immune compromised. Many people have died from these diseases, history could easily repeat itself.

Not responding to just this post, but this mentality altogether that I'm seeing in this thread. Wish I had time to completely catch up........

But as much as anyone believes in the benefits of science as how it's taught now, vaccines, herd immunity, whatever, I think it's important to remember that we are NOT going to build some disease free utopian community on this earth. Wouldn't it be nice? But it's not going to happen. Death and disease will never be irradicated from the world we live in. Anyone who is paralyzed by fear of unvaccinated population is spending too much time thinking about the dangers there. There are dangers in everything we do, it's part of life.

Personally I think it's far more important to keep our ability to make our own choices than to throw that out in the hopes that herb immunity is real, that vaccines are safe and do the job they claim, and that it will actually have some significant effect on the death rate in the long run. I agree with other posters who have said that a country who forced vaccines on it's population would be a pretty terrifying one. Death and disease are natural facts of life and I'd rather live in a world where we're allowed to take our chances with nature than one where the science community and govt forces it's theories into our bodies. Essentially I do believe forced vaccines would just be one grand experiment on the population. And essentially I think anyone who argues the "anyone who is healthy enough for vaccines should be vaccinated" is saying there should be no exemption other than medical. In discussiong and theory it's fine, but to suggest it be practiced is very, very dangerous IMO.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote