Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
NorahsMom
Registered Users
seller

"Teach Me French" series

Has anyone used this (or the Spanish or other versions)? I forked out $200 for Muzzy and I'm not impressed. I'm wondering what people think of this one. Any other suggestions for preschool foreign language materials?

Advertisement

Old 07-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: "Teach Me French" series

Old 07-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
Sakari
Registered Users

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:20 AM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Did you see this: http://www.littlepim.com/store/frenc...uage-for-kids/

I looked on amazon and Teach me ___ series didn't get very good reviews. I am wanting my son to learn Chinese and even though my sisters are fluent in it I am having a hard time trying to figure out what would be good for him. There seems to be a wealth of products out there. I don't know about you but I would love to find something that not only is a video but also a book, maybe flash cards and the like. French at least uses some of the same characters as english. Mandarin doesn't so I need something that will help him learn the symbols of the language. My sister told me that chinese doesn't even have an alphabet.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
ktarsha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, we forked out for Muzzy, and I wasn't that thrilled with it either. It's cute enough, but I don't think my son learned a single word from it, and it seemed that some of the sound was less than crisp.

I haven't tried "Teach Me French," but we have liked Little Pim and (to a lesser extent) Moustache. I've got "Play and Learn" French and "Un, Deux, Trois: First French Rhymes" in the car; while I don't think my son has actually learned a lot from them (mainly because we just listen in the car, and haven't done any formal instruction with them), I think they're a good way to introduce the child to the words and cadence of the language.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
NorahsMom
Registered Users
seller

Little Pim looks pretty good. I wonder how I can convince dh to spend another $85 on this stuff...

Muzzy is a complete joke. I trusted it because it's from BBC, but it's so outdated, story is weird, sound is bad. $200??? Seriously???
Old 07-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
ktarsha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorahsMom View Post
Little Pim looks pretty good. I wonder how I can convince dh to spend another $85 on this stuff...

Muzzy is a complete joke. I trusted it because it's from BBC, but it's so outdated, story is weird, sound is bad. $200??? Seriously???
Little Pim is easy to understand, they repeat the word or phrase, and it's just kids doing everyday things, no odd storyline.

I might understand sound issues on a VHS tape, but on DVD? Not acceptable, especially for that amount of money. The quality seemed to vary among the languages - German and Spanish seemed okay, although still not great; but the French was just about impossible to understand in places, and I have a good command of basic French! I'm going to put our Muzzy set on eBay and try to recoup some of the money, but I'm not too hopeful.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Is the little pim series good if you don't speak the language yourself?