Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2016, 03:19 PM   #11
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: "Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
This was my SIL's complaint with it -- the leaving out of phonics rules.
Yes, that's true. It helps to have a support phonics program/book.

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #12
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

I guess I should update, we made it somewhere just past the halfway point and put it away. He just wasn't enjoying it, and he's only 4 so I don't want to push. We're doing BOB books instead and he loves those. We're zooming through them. I guess we found something that works for us. I may try the 100 easy... Later or just with one of my other kids when they're older. Oh and I too have the same complaint about the phonics rules and the fact there's no real clear explanation of how to sound out words like now and cow.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:05 PM   #13
Emberly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What about when it has only taught long e, but then wants the kid to sound out "kitten." Have I been pronouncing kitten wrong all my life? Haha
Emberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:45 PM   #14
cgrosec
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To the ladies who are using this book to teach their child to read, are you also doing supplemental phonics instruction? If so, what curriculum do you use?
cgrosec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #15
Amy_27
Registered Users

My Mood:

We used this book and I thought of it as a jumpstart into reading that did not seem complicated. Then right after we started and are still working on Level 1 in All About Spelling because that program seems so complete in regards to phonics.
Amy_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:27 PM   #16
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tried it but didn't really care for it

Someone gave me another copy of it recently so I'm planning on giving it another try with my 4 yo. I know I won't use everything if I do... The intro turned me off but other than that it just depends.

My two oldest LO's learned to read fine without it. They learned mostly by just having lots of books around, me reading a lot to them, my husband reading out loud etc. I usually tell them to take words apart and put them back together once they figure out how sounds blend together etc. and one day it just finally clicks. Neither of my 2 older ones were reading well at 4 (except for a few sight words here and there) but when they turned 5 it just clicked. They read a ton already with no pressure, mostly stuff they are interested in. It's great.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:30 PM   #17
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *TinyJoys* View Post
I've been using this with my 4 year old ds and we're halfway through (lesson 50). All of a sudden he doesn't want to do it anymore after doing really well up until the last few lessons. It's difficult to get him to focus now and he just says he can't do it before even looking at the words. It's ended in tears a few times. It just isn't working anymore. I've been feeling so discouraged.

What else did you use after lesson 35 to encourage the desire to read? If this keeps up he'll hate reading, even though he is naturally good at it.

Didn't kids learn how to read in grade 1 years ago? Why is there so much pressure to read earlier now?
I'd just take a break with it for awhile. When stuff doesn't work or they get upset we try to move onto something else. Hugs!
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:10 PM   #18
ketchupqueen
Registered Users
seller

I loved it. Used it with 3 kids so far at 5 1/2, 6 and 7 (i wait until they ask to learn to read.) All came out fluent readers and have continued reading well with no further instruction.