Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
1happymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
"My Father's World" or "Little Hearts..."

A while back I posted for curriculum suggestions for Kindergarten and got great suggestions from everyone. I narrowed it down to either "My Father's World" or "Little Hearts for His Glory". Does anyone have experience with one or both of these? What did you like/dislike about them? Thanks!

Advertisement

1happymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
Emily
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: "My Father's World" or "Little Hearts..."

WE use My Father's World and LOVE it! It is very streamlined, and I can really taylor it to what my 6yo needs. She does not need all the letter practice, not that there is a ton of in anyway, but the whole curriculum is so easy to follow.

I got to hear the couple that writes the curriculum and meet their 17yo DD last year at a HS conference. They are just fabulous folks. That was when I decided to go with MFW and I have never regretted it.
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:32 AM   #3
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I spent the weekend at a homeschooling conference and i am DEFINITELY going with My Father World for Kindergarten. The program is awesome. I went to 2 presentations from the funder of My Fathers World and it was amazing. His Theory about young learning is like none I have ever heard. I actaully now strongly recommend his deluxe kit as well. That is what I am saving for.

Good luck!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
kissy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just bought My father's world for my 4th grader and I am so excited. We bought Exploring Countries and cultures. I am very impressed.
kissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:02 PM   #5
mamaof3
Registered Users

My Mood:

I also use My fathers world. We really liked it. My dd had already started to read so a lot of it we didn't do, but the basics were great!
Old 07-25-2007, 09:21 PM   #6
1happymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for sharing, mamas. I'm pretty excited about trying My Father's World now thanks to all of your positive reviews.
1happymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:29 PM   #7
faithmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe I"m just rebellious and maybe it's because I haven't seen it in person but I've not been too keen on My Father's world. I guess it seems a bit overwhelming to think of using it for 3 kids at a time and I"m not a fan of unit studies which I have heard it is.....obviously I'm not the one to give input on that curriculum.

But I have used Little Hands to Heaven and LOVE it and will be using Little Hearts to his glory this next year. I'm very busy keeping up with all these little kids so I look for things that are easy, simple and direct. I have very little time to prep and study and this series came on the recommendation of my SIL who has 8 kids.

faithmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:12 AM   #8
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have never used or heard of little hands to heaven.

I know that when My Fathers world was written, it was written keeping in mind that you most likely dont just have one child you are educating. The founders of MFW are a married couple, Mom was a Private Christain school teacher and dad was a sahd homeschooling up to 6 kids, while doing everything we all do everyday. He had a very interesting philosophy.

Having said that. I know that EVERY single curriculum out there wants you to believe that theirs is the best and the only way to know if it is best for YOUR family is to try it or really look into it. We are in the process of trying to decide on curr. for our kids, and this has not been easy. I am more unschooling and hubby is more traditional homeschooling. So we can not be more different. For us. MFW was a happy medium.
Now that can change once we put it into play. But hey it is all a learning process. I dont think there is a "boxed Curriculum" out htere that will work for every family, or even every child within that single family.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:41 AM   #9
faithmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You are so right about every curriculum wanting to "sell" you on their products. Even though the choices are overwhelming I still think it's great that we have SO much to choose from. I was homeschooled all of my years and my mom wishes that she would have had half of what we have now.

I was thinking about these curriculums last night and honestly I have never, ever heard anything bad or negative about MFW so that says something. I do know some people who use it and I think I'll check into it more. I'm happy with my plan for this year since we are just at the Kindergarten level but I'll keep my mind open for next year.

faithmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:39 AM   #10
flutterbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: stephanie23
seller

I see this is a VERY old thread but noticed some of you were trying it for last year. I am considering for my 6y/o dd and wondered how everyone liked it.