Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #21
watermelon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: "What are you going to do about socialization?" Seriously?

I, too, do not understand the "life-long" friends are from school statement. While I still stay in regular touch with a couple of friends from high school and college...I talk to my sisters nearly every day! They are my life-long friends that matter most...and quite honestly I wouldn't have minded HSing...I think I would have been a perfect candidate.

Advertisement

Old 06-23-2010, 04:44 PM   #22
violetsky1205
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuckmom View Post
I want to counter act with " I didn't realize socializing my kids was more important than learning".

Why are people so intent on the socializing than learning? We are not in the dark ages here. People need to stop and remember how many ways there are for my kids to socialize with other kids. I am not going to keep them housebound for heaven sakes.
Lynn that is a good one!
violetsky1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:28 AM   #23
AmeliasMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My kiddos are only 3 and 14mnths, and my MIL asks me that every time I talk to her. Of course my FIL tells her to get off it, he was HS'ed. Frankly, DH and I are so involved with countless outside hobbies, our kiddos are already so socialized, with ALL age groups, we don't worry about it. We have DH's VA and Soldier Support groups, our Organic Farming groups, we are both active in FFA and 4H as sponsors and support, we belong to numerous Horse and other animal resuce groups/anti-slaughter groups, and those are just the ones that pop into my head. So, not that we feel the need to defend our choice, if we do, we are well armed. Now, we are/will be using Unschooling as our method, and while my Parents LOVE that option, no one else seems to "get" it, LOL.
AmeliasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #24
granolamommie
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondance View Post
One of these days I'm just going to answer "Facebook" and leave it at that .

AMAZING!!!
granolamommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #25
katmatd
Registered Users
seller

I get asked the same question by my dad. This is the man who had learning problems and was so left behind by his school system he dropped out in middle school. Grrrr. Anyways. I was an introvert and the only "socialization" I got in ps was feeling pressured to fit in. I tried to befriend anyone that would talk to me, and was made fun of and bullied by the very people that I felt pressured to spend time with!! It was AWFUL. This lasted until after my first year of middle school. That's when my "best friend" finally told me how much she hated me and wouldn't return my frantic phone calls to make up. Why did I put up with this abuse? Because I was socialized, right? I made new friends the following year, but I followed much the same trend up until about Junior year of high school. That's when I came to the realization that I didn't even like most of the people I hung around with. I slowly cut off contact with all of the people that I didn't have anything in common with or who made me feel bad about myself. I was left with 2 friends and a few acquaintances. I laugh every time someone asks me how my kids will be socialized. "Much better than I was, I am quite sure".