Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
bthane23
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
"You know she is going to need....

to be around kids her own age one day....."

I got this comment from a friend yesterday. Because clearly, I do NOT have my daughter's best interest at heart by keeping her locked in the house and giving her ZERO opportunities to socialize.

About 3 hours after this comment was made. I took my kids to their end of year CCE party (catechism) where they sat with their classmates during the Children's Mass. They also dined cafeteria style after Mass for a pizza party. Both girls sat with their class and when I looked over at my 7 year old, she was smiling and talking with a parent. Not a bit shy or scared. Talking to her daughter and to another adult across the table. As if all of these people were her OWN AGE.

THAT! THAT is what I love about homeschooling. My child is ABLE to carry on a conversation with ANYONE regardless of age.

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
octoberblush
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: "You know she is going to need....

I am not a homeschooler (yet) but I saw a woman the other day with a bumper sticker that said: "Caution: Unsocialized Homeschoolers inside" I just had to laugh. I wanted to go high five her so badly.
ISO- the remote. Always the dang remote.
octoberblush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberblush View Post
I am not a homeschooler (yet) but I saw a woman the other day with a bumper sticker that said: "Caution: Unsocialized Homeschoolers inside" I just had to laugh. I wanted to go high five her so badly.
lol I cant decided b/t a 'WARNING: Unsocialized homeschool kids on board' or qn 'I survived public school...that's why I homeschool'

op-my mil is a retired teacher and when she 1st found out we were homeschooling her 1st response was 'well what about socialization?!' I couldnt help but giggle a little. I tried really hard not to but I didnt suceed lol

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
shortdrawbryant
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD isnt even 2 yet and since everyone knows i want to homeschool i already get this comment alot. I'm like uh well lets see im a SAHM so i guess that means I DONT have time to take her to outside classes, play groups etc? LOL

I told hubby IF we do homeschool I will make it a point to get her in outside activities..even if that meant driving her to a place like memphis (1.5 hrs away) or jackson (45 min away) a couple times a week
Old 05-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have been planning to homeschool for a long time, like 3 or more years. My oldest will start K this fall. We haven't been quiet about it. I have never gotten this comment. I know it's a common thing homeschool families get. I just haven't yet. I feel a bit left out.

In our case, we have 5 and will probably have more kids. Sometimes I think, if people just looked around, they would realize we have built in socialization. (Plus, we get out too. )
Old 05-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
GardenMamma
Registered Users

My Mood:

ugh the socialization argument drives me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DD is only 4, but she is so bored with all of our preschool curriculum that I'm going to let her start kindergarden curiculum next fall, and DH's family really gives him a hard time with the socialization argument =(
Ashley Wife to a US Marine& Mamma to Braelynn (5), Brody (2), Adalynn (1) , and expecting #4 November 1st!!
GardenMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
Tiny Trousers
Registered Users
Formerly: Knits4Noah
seller
seller

My Mood:

My mother and I had this argument today, haha!
I have a question, is it healthy or necessary for children to socialize for 7-8 hours per day and be away from their family the entire time? Why is that a positive?

Tiny Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Now I am the first to admit my kids do not socialize often with other children. I don't have many friends with kids and I don't socialize a whole lot (I have social anxiety). They take Taekwondo at a family oriented dojo where there are people of all ages but it is a smaller dojo so it is a really wide range of ages from 5-60 all participating together in class not classes divided by age. I do not participate in homeschooling groups, I don't like them. I also don't drive so that holds us back a bit. I do take them to the park though, it is right out our front door for goodness sake. They also hang out with our tattoo artist's kids (yes I know that sounds a bit odd but we are really close with his family). Our kids are however very very comfortable socializing with people of all ages. We take them to ren fairs and Kearnan has started attending anime conventions with dh and I several times a year. Kearnan likes to cosplay and he gets right into the thick of things with the teens and adults who also cosplay. He is not the least bit shy. He can walk through a giant convention chatting with vendors, artists and other con goers without a problem, I meanwhile am overwhelmed. Guess all that public school socialization didn't help me much. He and I both have SPD but thanks to therapy he copes with his better than I do. At his first convention he took part in a photo shoot for the characters of the video game he was cosplaying from. I was sitting on the sidelines with a friend and we were chatting. He brought up the homeschooling thing and asked me "but by high school you will want to send him to school, you know, for socialization." I just looked at him. My son was in the middle of a bunch of people he had just met, all of them older than him by at least 6 years or more, and he was not the least bit bothered about it. He made several really good friends and he has "fans" now. People friended me on facebook because they were friends with him at con. I looked at dh the last day and said "you know I think our autistic 9 year old is more social than I am." He laughed at me and said "You just noticed."
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:57 PM   #9
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ya the social argument is fun... lol...Really people just don't understand that you are broadening their social skills by not limiting them to a single age group...So many home school moms will tell you that their children spend time outside the home, and have very little issue communicating with people of all ages...If anything I believe home schooling removes those shackles that public school can place on us socially. I went to a small public school and still wasn't welcomed by anyone that wasn't my age...In fact I remember it being one of the first questions asked when meeting someone new...And don't get me started about speaking with adults and how that can be stunted by teachers and authorities through school...Did you ever like talking to your teachers if you were public schooled?...The only social anxiety I've ever seen in Home schooled students (we had a couple home schooled kids start public school in HS) is that they don't understand that a clique, by definition, means you're not welcome. So they talk to everyone...HMMM...I think I'll spare my children this lesson because once school is over this particular social quirk is massively destructive to their social lives...just my 2 cents...
Mommy to DS#1 R/8 DD#1 A/6 DD#2 R/4 and DS#2 D/2
Jaxence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #10
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Trousers View Post
My mother and I had this argument today, haha!
I have a question, is it healthy or necessary for children to socialize for 7-8 hours per day and be away from their family the entire time? Why is that a positive?
See that's the part I dont understand the most. They DONT socialize the entire day at school. In fact I want to know when do they actually get to talk to their peers...It's not in the classroom, in the hall, waiting in line, or in the lunch room so that leaves 15-30mins at recess(maybe add an hour IF they ride and are allowed to talk on the bus) of 'free' socializing where they get to learn all about peer pressure and bullying....uh, no thanks....

and to top it all off there is no other time in life where someone is forced to only communicate with 30+ppl who are the exact same age...

sorry for the rant It's just that the entire socializing thing drives me nuts

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 05-05-2011 at 09:20 PM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote