Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
Sillebille's Avatar
Sillebille
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nürnberg-Cincinnati-Nürnberg
Posts: 3,915
"Your Baby Can Read"....what do you think?

I am not sure if this toppic is on the right spot here, if not, feel free to move.

You all know the "your baby can read" system?
What do you think????

I am very very interested and I am very curious to try it.
Reason: we go back to Germany in 2 years, the baby will be almost 1,5 years old by then. Of course we would love to keep the English Language in our daily life. But I think it will get lost over the years and this baby won't have an English Kindergarten or School. So even if our older children keep the English (which is their main language now) the baby won't have the opportunity to really learn English...

Does someone here try this system? What do you think? Do you like it?
Is there anything I should know about it?

If someone would sell it, please make an offer!

Thank you!!!

Advertisement

__________________
Sillebille & ('97) + ('97) + ('00) and our little daughter A (Oct 09)
Sillebille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Sillebille's Avatar
Sillebille
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nürnberg-Cincinnati-Nürnberg
Posts: 3,915
Re: "Your Baby Can Read"....what do you think?

http://www.yourbabycanread.com/
__________________
Sillebille & ('97) + ('97) + ('00) and our little daughter A (Oct 09)
Sillebille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
fawnlovesjasper's Avatar
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeastern PA
Posts: 3,677
My Mood:
Re: "Your Baby Can Read"....what do you think?

There have been several threads recently on this.

Personally I am very very against it.. what is wrong with a child being allowed to be a child for as long as possible???? Why must we push our kids to be better than their neighbors???? Why must we push our children to do things well beyond their years??

I am a firm believer that at such young ages learning comes naturally and it is best left that way. If you push any form of formal education too early it will backfire ad the child will begin to resent learning.

Another thing.. if a child learns to read at 1 (which sorry, but they aren't learning to read that young, they are being forced to memorize things... reading entails comprehending what is read as well as knowing how to decode the words), or 5 or even 12.. by the time they are 16 no one will ever be able to tell what age a child learned to read at.

If you want your child to learn to love reading, don't force them to do something completely unnatural, pick up some fun kids books and read to him.. and let him see you reading for fun on a regular basis.
__________________
Sommer wife to one really amazing man, Adam ,homeschooling momma to Garrett (12/98), Rylee (12/04), Reagan (12/05) and Cameron (5/09)
fawnlovesjasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
AshtonsMommy's Avatar
AshtonsMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lake Geneva,WI
Posts: 1,611
My Mood:
Re: "Your Baby Can Read"....what do you think?

I have been using this with my 2 year old son since May 14th. He can read 4 words- "hi", "cats", "dog" and "eyes". I am seeing good results for the short period of time that we have been doing it.

It is not a gimmick and your baby will learn to read, if you use the system like you are told.

I think that it does make a difference if you start teaching your child things at a younger age, because as they get older other things are easier to learn as well.

I am still allowing my 2 year old to be a "child". Just because I am sitting with him for like 10 mins at a time several times a day showing him flashcards and doing the program really doesn't take away from him "being a child".
__________________
Ashley, Mommy to Ashton & Avery
AshtonsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:29 PM   #5
AshtonsMommy's Avatar
AshtonsMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lake Geneva,WI
Posts: 1,611
My Mood:
Re: "Your Baby Can Read"....what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawnlovesjasper View Post
If you want your child to learn to love reading, don't force them to do something completely unnatural, pick up some fun kids books and read to him.. and let him see you reading for fun on a regular basis.
This is totally in , so I am just wondering, why is it un-natural to teach children words and reading at such a young age?

Don't you think that it is un-natural that we wait until children are 5 or 6 y/o before teaching them to read, well after the natural (and best) opportunity to learn language has begun to close?

Just like its easier for babies to learn all other aspects of language (listening and understanding, speaking, learning a foreign tongue or signing), its easier to learn to read at a high level early in life, rather than later.
__________________
Ashley, Mommy to Ashton & Avery
AshtonsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:29 AM   #6
Sillebille's Avatar
Sillebille
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nürnberg-Cincinnati-Nürnberg
Posts: 3,915
Re: "Your Baby Can Read"....what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawnlovesjasper View Post
There have been several threads recently on this.

Personally I am very very against it.. what is wrong with a child being allowed to be a child for as long as possible???? Why must we push our kids to be better than their neighbors???? Why must we push our children to do things well beyond their years??

I am a firm believer that at such young ages learning comes naturally and it is best left that way. If you push any form of formal education too early it will backfire ad the child will begin to resent learning.

Another thing.. if a child learns to read at 1 (which sorry, but they aren't learning to read that young, they are being forced to memorize things... reading entails comprehending what is read as well as knowing how to decode the words), or 5 or even 12.. by the time they are 16 no one will ever be able to tell what age a child learned to read at.

If you want your child to learn to love reading, don't force them to do something completely unnatural, pick up some fun kids books and read to him.. and let him see you reading for fun on a regular basis.
That is exactly what I always thought!!
BUT in Kindergarten and 1.grade my son learned to read...and how?? Memorize! Nothing different! They have "sight words" and my son had huge trouble to memorize these words. He learned the ABC Song and then he started spelling "double-u+aitsch+o" (who)...he never saw that this word is said totally different and it was a loooong way for him until he finally started to acutally read....so memorizing is what kids do in school.
(My son moved from Germany to USA before Kindergarten started, he knew very little english)

So I don't see that serious, I don't expect my child to read Shakespeare with 3 years....but I think it can give a good start.

Thanks for your thoughts! I don't want the baby to go "to school" with 3 months. I see this just as another way of "playing and teaching".

And I don't really care how good my neighbors kids are or if my kid is "better"...you can't compare kids. I hate these "my kid goes to the potty and yours doesn't?? What a shame!!" Always believe half of what Moms want to make you believe *haha*

__________________
Sillebille & ('97) + ('97) + ('00) and our little daughter A (Oct 09)

Last edited by Sillebille; 06-05-2009 at 05:32 AM.
Sillebille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:38 AM   #7
Sillebille's Avatar
Sillebille
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nürnberg-Cincinnati-Nürnberg
Posts: 3,915
Re: "Your Baby Can Read"....what do you think?

my "goal" is, to keep the English language in our family, also for this new member, as much as possible. We have the great chance to have now two strong languages. I want to give the little one the same opportunity.
I mean you are usually playing with your baby all the time...the baby makes no different in playing with a rattle or with flash cards...after a few minutes both are boring because of the "attention span" and then you should have something new. I think you can't teach a baby/toddler against his will, because that's all he does the whole day: learning while playing/eating/sleeping/walking/watching/pooping....
__________________
Sillebille & ('97) + ('97) + ('00) and our little daughter A (Oct 09)
Sillebille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:08 AM   #8
LilyGrace
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,851
Re: "Your Baby Can Read"....what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonsMommy View Post
This is totally in , so I am just wondering, why is it un-natural to teach children words and reading at such a young age?

Don't you think that it is un-natural that we wait until children are 5 or 6 y/o before teaching them to read, well after the natural (and best) opportunity to learn language has begun to close?

Just like its easier for babies to learn all other aspects of language (listening and understanding, speaking, learning a foreign tongue or signing), its easier to learn to read at a high level early in life, rather than later.
I'll bite.

1. You aren't teaching reading. This program isn't teaching reading. You are teaching whole shape recognition. Reading is a decoding skill that most 1yos don't have.

2. You are using a program that has repeatedly and consistently failed children over and over. I mean FAILED them. Without the decoding skills or the developed maturity to use them, the child becomes stagnant in learning ability. There was a reason why D!ck and Jane/Cat In The Hat books were developed - the children needed something to read that went with their ability since their reading programs left them unable to use living books.

3. Reading and language acquisition are two different skills built on each other. Since this program doesn't teach reading anyway, I guess that's not really a good point. This program teaches word-picture association, language acquisition uses the basics of *tada* decoding skills. Which are not being developed with this program. Which means the mental maturity isn't there to handle it.



I hate this program with a passion. It does children such a disservice and puts the emphasis on "my baby is smarter than YOUR baby." Again. Families shouldn't be cramming their infants full of useless information when what they really should be doing is playing and learning at their own rate. It's theft to steal such a moment from a child.

And I am saying this as the parent of an early reader who developed at his own pace. It was a joy to watch him discover reading and work his way through until he was where he wanted to be. How could I steal such a moment from him? How could I force my own agenda on him, not caring about his readiness? I couldn't, so he learned in an environment of support, not one of flashcards.
__________________
Left DS because of lack of virus control.

Last edited by LilyGrace; 06-05-2009 at 07:10 AM.
LilyGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
3 ladybugs's Avatar
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12,776
My Mood:
Re: "Your Baby Can Read"....what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillebille View Post
my "goal" is, to keep the English language in our family, also for this new member, as much as possible. We have the great chance to have now two strong languages. I want to give the little one the same opportunity.
I mean you are usually playing with your baby all the time...the baby makes no different in playing with a rattle or with flash cards...after a few minutes both are boring because of the "attention span" and then you should have something new. I think you can't teach a baby/toddler against his will, because that's all he does the whole day: learning while playing/eating/sleeping/walking/watching/pooping....
I have been silently following this thread and I think you are right. I think this may just work like another tool in the toolbox for teaching children.

I am curious about the program because I live in a library... okay not actually but there are 5 bookcases in my living room right now FILLED to the brim with books. My child is going to live in a library so anything I can do so he can enjoy these books earlier (other then for the sound they make when the fall of the shelves ) I am all for.

My DH was punished in school for not liking nor needing phonics. He was able to read and write on his own without it and would get marked down on papers for spelling correctly and not phonetically. He didn't use a program like this growing up but I wonder if he did if he would be a year or 2 ahead in his reading then he is now. Just a thought. DH BTW is a VERY avid reader that honestly would read morning till night if things like driving to and from work and household tasks didn't get in the way.

Are you planning on homeschooling in Germany? If so I don't see what difference it would make if you did the program. Your other children would really be the only ones your child would be "competing" against.
__________________
Jennifer (39) - Wife since 12/2003 with 5 children - 3 waiting for me in heaven , and 2 delighting me everyday ! Lymphoma survivor and mother to baby born post pelvic radiation!
3 ladybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:36 AM   #10
frenchie's Avatar
frenchie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Surf City USA
Posts: 4,604
My Mood:
Re: "Your Baby Can Read"....what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonsMommy View Post
This is totally in , so I am just wondering, why is it un-natural to teach children words and reading at such a young age?

Don't you think that it is un-natural that we wait until children are 5 or 6 y/o before teaching them to read, well after the natural (and best) opportunity to learn language has begun to close?

Just like its easier for babies to learn all other aspects of language (listening and understanding, speaking, learning a foreign tongue or signing), its easier to learn to read at a high level early in life, rather than later.
This is totally inaccurate. Your child can learn to "read" at 3, while my child can learn to read when she's 9, and it will make no difference. Your child will be no better at reading than my 9 year old. Your child will be no more advanced in learning either.
Reading and writing are "spectrum" subjects that can be mastered over a wide range of years. There really isn't an age at which reading is more easily mastered than any other age. Something like math is more age-sepcific. What isn't learned at during a given woindow of opportunity, is far more difficult for a child to learn months or years down the road.
As a pp stated, reading is baout comprehension. My son isn't learning to read through memory. He is learning to read by sounding out the words, and gaining an understanding of what those words mean. When he reads a sentence, he understands the sentence.
__________________
Angie homeschooling mom to Kai and Gidget Homeschooling; it's like always being on a field trip but you don't have to walk in a single file line.
frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright © 2005 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC. All Rights Reserved.