Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

Question (UPDATED from HSLDA) Extended stay in another state?

My husband is military and because of his schedule the kids and I may be moving home to NY temporarily, from mid-June until early- or mid-October. In NC (where we maintain our residence) the compulsory school age is 7. In NY it is 6. Since DS will be 6 at the time we're in NY - his birthday is next week! - are we under any sort of requirement to file him as a homeschooler while we're in NY? We won't maintain a residence there; we'll be staying with family, and all of our utilities and our mortgage at the house here in NC will still be current and active. It's not so much a temporary move as a really long "vacation," I guess.

UPDATE: The woman from HSLDA called me back. If we're going to be in NY for more than a month of the school year we have to register with NY as homeschoolers. Bummer!

Advertisement

Last edited by amphibology29; 05-07-2010 at 03:05 PM.
amphibology29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Extended stay in another state?

I wouldn't worry about it. Like you said, it's really more of an extended visit and you will be back in your resident state not long after the school year starts.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Your residency is still North Carolina, so go with that. I really can't see anyone saying anything about it, anyway. We've done this a few times. Actually, we're doing it this week -- going to stay with family for about 5 months due to a deployment.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
ncflaggs
Registered Users

My Mood:

As pp's stated, shouldn't be a problem. You're maintaining residency here in NC, that's where you will be registered as a homeschooler with the Dept of Non-public education. This is also the state you will file your state income tax with, yes? Nah, I wouldn't worry.
ncflaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:27 AM   #5
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Actually, NY is one of the states that if you are there more than I think it's 2 weeks, you are required to register your student. So you would have to jump through their homeschooling hoops.

Check out this post on another board about being a resident and things. http://www.homeschoolspot.com/showthread.php?t=21452
Old 05-07-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

I decided to call HSLDA just in case. They transferred me to the NY coordinator and I'm on hold right now. I'll update with what they let me know.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
Hitchkids
Registered Users

We moved to NY state in November and I waited until January to tell the school district. In NY state the compulsory age is 6 and you have to submit your letter of intent by June 30 I do believe. But you would only be here long enough to submit one quarterly report, maybe. You can schedule your school year so you don't submit even that. I know I personally wouldn't submit paperwork unless you know someone near you will report you or make a stink. If you get questioned, personally I would just claim that you are on an extended vacation.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #8
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What did you find out?
Old 05-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawnlovesjasper View Post
What did you find out?
They don't hold calls over 2 minutes so it went to voicemail and I'm expecting a call back. They said not to call them again, that they DO return all calls, so I guess I'll just wait and see. I've got time though, if it turns out we do have to register. We don't leave until the last week or two of June, so I've got plenty of time to get organized before then.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #10
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

NY is one of the PIA states.. like here in PA, but I know on homeschoolspot, there are several there that homeschool in NY and don't have problems. Whatever you do, don't let their laws scare you if you do have to register.

Oh and it's kind of nice that they don't hold calls over 2 minutes! I have been on hold for hours at a time several times in my life.. it sucks...lol.