Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
bandaidnurse
Registered Users
seller

Anyone ever diagnosed with hyperthyroidism while pregnant?

I just got diagnosed. Had an appt. with endocrinology and they are waiting on one last lab to determine if it is Grave's disease or not. From what I have read the chance of miscarriage and birth defects is increased and it is difficult to treat safely during pregnancy. Just feeling pretty stressed about it all wondering if anyone else has been through this before.

Advertisement

bandaidnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Anyone ever diagnosed with hyperthyroidism while pregnant?

mama. No experience here, but a girlfriend of mine was being treated for hyper or hypothyroidism when she got pregnant with her last child. Everything for her turned out well, but they did have her gradually wean off some hormones/meds. I doubt that helps you any, but hope the endocrinologist has some helpful words soon.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

How far along are you? I have had hyperthyroid the last two pregnancies but it regulated itself without meds by the end of the second trimester. I was negative on graves and hashimotos. They just watched me carefully with monthly blood draws and both times by around 26 weeks it was normal again. With my 5th the endocrinologist said the don't normally treat it anyway unless the symptoms are pretty severe because we don't want to block the baby's thyroid hormones along with mine. I declined to see an endocrinologist this time and just let my family doctor keep an eye on it and sure enough it went back to normal same as last time. She explained that the pregnancy hormone HCG can mimic thyroid and kick the thyroid out of wack. As the HCG drops toward the middle of pregnancy, things regulate.
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #4
Mamaleah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have any experience but wanted to offer up that an acquaintance has Graves (was diagnosed in or shortly after high school) and successfully had 2 children
Old 10-13-2013, 04:56 AM   #5
eracheld
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver)O(Moon
How far along are you? I have had hyperthyroid the last two pregnancies but it regulated itself without meds by the end of the second trimester. I was negative on graves and hashimotos. They just watched me carefully with monthly blood draws and both times by around 26 weeks it was normal again. With my 5th the endocrinologist said the don't normally treat it anyway unless the symptoms are pretty severe because we don't want to block the baby's thyroid hormones along with mine. I declined to see an endocrinologist this time and just let my family doctor keep an eye on it and sure enough it went back to normal same as last time. She explained that the pregnancy hormone HCG can mimic thyroid and kick the thyroid out of wack. As the HCG drops toward the middle of pregnancy, things regulate.
This! I had it a few weeks ago, but now at 20 weeks my levels are normal. I did not receive any treatment, just monitoring.

Scentsy team!
eracheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
bandaidnurse
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the reassurance. I had read about high HCG levels sometimes causing it. I am hoping that is what the results indicate next week. When I went to my appointment they felt pretty sure it was Grave's due to my T3 and T4 both being elevated. I have had some pretty significant weight loss, palpitations, rapid heart rate, tremors and muscle weakness. They put me on Beta blockers to try to slow down my hear rate. I had to talk them out of admitting me to the hospital. But the only treatment hospitalization would have provided was for my symptoms. I can cope with my symptoms though, just so worried about the baby. I am 10 weeks along now. It sounds like treating Grave's runs the risk of damaging baby's thyroid, so I am really hoping it turns out to just be pregnancy induced.
bandaidnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

I had symptoms too though, even though it was pregnancy induced. Horrible heart palpitations enough so that I blacked out in my garage for a few seconds. I did not start gaining until the end of my second tri. My anxiety level was really high as well. It send me to the ER and that is where I had the first blood draw. Still ended up regulating. There is hope!

Keep us posted!
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote