Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #11
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Re: Hospital aftet home?

I had a homebirth (traumatic) and then had 3 hospital births after. It was due to medical needs (though I now understand fully the dangers/risks of homebirths and would never have another one... came to this conclusion after #2). That is another conversation though.

Anyway, I was freaked out by hospitals... believed all the books about doctors just waiting to cut you open, hospital staff being horrible and rude and cold and on and on, unrelenting protocols. But I really had to deliver there for the safety of me and my babies.

At around 32-34 (can't remember!) weeks pregnant I found my doctor. It took a good while to find someone I trusted, someone laid back, naturally minded yet ready to step in when he felt necessary, and so on. Such peace I felt when I knew he'd deliver my babies! I ended up having c-sections (mutual decision after understanding the risks of breech and the higher risk of me having another shoulder dystocia, which my first was a severe one). I will tell you though, that instead of the terrible place I had read about in books, I found the hospital to be a friendly place. The nurses were helpful and caring, some were more reserved yet kind and others were bubbly and cheerful. My doctor was patient and listened and did his best to keep me and my babies safe. And they all cared.

I honestly feel like my hospital births were way more peaceful and ideal than my homebirth. The hospital stays way better than being at home. I loved my quiet time with the new baby because I knew it would never be like that when I got home.

If I were you, I'd focus on the perks of hospital births and get busy finding a provider that you love (they really are out there). Good luck!

Advertisement

raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #12
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would say try to labor at home for as long as possible, and then deliver at the hospital. Since you've already had a med free birth, I'm assuming you already know that feeling when it's getting close!
Hopefully you can just get to the hospital, push the baby out and be done.

Midwives here are vey $$$ too. Our hospital stay is free, but prenatal has copays. DH would never pay $4500 (the cheapest) to have a hb.
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #13
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would probably try to find an OB I trusted. With my DS I had hyperemesis, and just a rough pregnancy and switched Drs at 20 weeks. My 2nd OB was great. Now I'm very fortunate that theres 2 midwives at my clinic(and just 1 OB), they offer waterbirths(which I did with my DD) and the midwives even oversee the OB because he does waterbirths too!
Old 10-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #14
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s
Is it a birth center associated with a hospital? If it is insurance might cover it. You would have to find a way to be closer near the end of your pregnancy which might be pricey though. If you have no choice for the hospital I would really say be very careful picking your ob and your doula (maybe have the doula help you choose). I understand your hospital might be horrible, but hopefully not every OB that delivers there is. Plus you have the added benefit of being your forth child. If your first 3 were uneventful there is a good chance your 4th will come out before they have any reason to intervene. Good Luck!

I work full time and will be working till I have baby. The birth centers are not associated with hospitals and are free standing. There is no way I could move closer at the end.

Unfortunately I know a lot about the hospitals here. There are two one of which I used to work full time at. There are 5 obs and you get who is on call even if you only saw one of them the whole time. They also do not work in the same office so the option to see each one is not there. I would never give birth there.

I am seeing an ob Thursday for the other hospital. I'm not wild about that one either. My ob probably will not deliver me there either so I guess who I see doesn't really matter anyway. I live in a smaller town 120,000 people 3 hrs away in each direction from a major city. It sucks as far as birthing. CS rates are super high here.

Blah
Stacie, Wife to Robert, Mama to Jacob Dominic Luke and baby boy #4 coming May 2014
stacieandtheboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying4more View Post
I would say try to labor at home for as long as possible, and then deliver at the hospital. Since you've already had a med free birth, I'm assuming you already know that feeling when it's getting close!
Hopefully you can just get to the hospital, push the baby out and be done.
Then I'm going to have to agree with this post. It sounds like you don't have great options but labor at home some and hope for another "uneventful" birth. Do your best (well husband and doula do their best) to keep the unneeded procedures away.

HUGS!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote