Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #41
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

Re: Selling Breast Milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2tommy View Post
Yes - that's from a milk bank. They don't charge a penny for the milk itself - you pay for the pasturization process that is required for milk that passes through the milk bank. People donate milk to the milk bank, and then it's pasturized and fees are collected when it's given out to preemies who are high risk, cancer patients, etc.
This isn't completely accurate. NICU babies who need breastmilk and can't get it from their own moms can get breastmilk from the milk bank for free. I'm not sure whether the hospital and/or health insurance pays anything in that situation, but when my twins were born very prematurely and my supply wasn't adequate, they both got pastuerized breastmilk and I wasn't charged a cent for it. FWIW, we don't qualify for Medicaid or any low-income programs, so if any family was going to be charged for breastmilk, we definitely would have been.

Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #42
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterof10
I can understand why people would discourage you from selling your milk, but I don't think that those same people will step up and pay for your family's living expenses so you can keep donating.

It's like saying that a landlord shouldn't charge rent because people need housing. Or that the local farmers with farmstands should just give away their produce because people need food. Yes, sometimes, many times, it is possible to give things away, but sometimes you need money to support your family, and at that point in time you sell your wares instead.

That being said, I have no helpful advice as to how to find buyers for your milk. Best wishes to you and your family.
This exactly -very well said.
OP is not trying to take advantage of anyone she is merely trying I bring in money for her family.
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #43
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Selling Breast Milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASMama711 View Post
This isn't completely accurate. NICU babies who need breastmilk and can't get it from their own moms can get breastmilk from the milk bank for free. I'm not sure whether the hospital and/or health insurance pays anything in that situation, but when my twins were born very prematurely and my supply wasn't adequate, they both got pastuerized breastmilk and I wasn't charged a cent for it. FWIW, we don't qualify for Medicaid or any low-income programs, so if any family was going to be charged for breastmilk, we definitely would have been.
Oh, it was paid for! Nothing leaves a milk bank without a charge, and they only charge enough per ounce to keep the facility running. I'll bet if you asked for a detailed receipt from your hospital, you'd see the charge - it was likely paid for by your insurance.

ETA - I really don't understand why we have this mentality in our country that just because you (general you) don't pay, you assume it's "free". Not directed to you - I see this ALL.THE.TIME! In your case, the hospital paid the milk bank for the milk, and in all likelihood, your insurance paid the hospital for the milk they bought from the milk bank. It was far from free!!

Last edited by mama2tommy; 04-29-2013 at 03:02 PM.
mama2tommy is offline   Reply With Quote