Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
cassie.sattler
Registered Users
seller

almost one year and struggling

our bfing relationship has always been pretty solid except for the beginning. lo is starting to get more demanding by always tugging on my shirt. he will whine if he is anywhere near my breast. im with him all day every day and up until recently i use to be a 24/7 buffet. he is 11 months and learning to walk. some times i have a really hard time being touched so much, and i especially dont like the distracted pop on and off nursing sessions. he is always "asking" to nurse but even if i offer he will only take a few lazy latched sips and move on. my nipples are starting to feel the strain too. they dont hurt but they are super sensitive. 50 % OF the time i just distract him, or cuddle or feed him a solid.

it is so lovely that he finds his boobies to be such a comfort. i want to nurse for quiet a while yet, but sometimes all the tugging and distraction really bugs me, thats also why i night weaned. he nurses to get actual nourishment about 4 times a day. we will nurse up to 10 times though if i allow it. i dont know how much im actually producing but it seems like its a major comfort for him more then any thing. what can i do to listen to him but also save my sanity?

Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: almost one year and struggling

My son is 12 1/2 months and doing the same thing. He is on the boob constantly. Plucking on and off, never happy if I put it away. One of my nipples is actually sensitive/sore now from his teeth. He keeps weakly latching. He does not eat much for solids as he rather nurse.It is crazy.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
My son is 12 1/2 months and doing the same thing. He is on the boob constantly. Plucking on and off, never happy if I put it away. One of my nipples is actually sensitive/sore now from his teeth. He keeps weakly latching. He does not eat much for solids as he rather nurse.It is crazy.
My 15 month old is the same way. She prefers milk over solids. I asked our ped about it yesterday and she said it's normal for toddlers to do that. I was worried but I can't force her to eat!
Old 04-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
cassie.sattler
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencrunchymama View Post
My 15 month old is the same way. She prefers milk over solids. I asked our ped about it yesterday and she said it's normal for toddlers to do that. I was worried but I can't force her to eat!
my lo loves solids and eats a good bit. even if he just had a full solid meal he will still want boobs. i just feel so over touched and im already stressed. iv been trying to let solids win over bfing because he can eat and play at the same time, he wont sit in his high chair for more then 5 minutes unless he is eating junky crackers or animal cookies
Old 04-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencrunchymama View Post
My pedi wants him eating 3 times per day with boobs as snacks. He wants to nurse all day long and I am lucky to get 3/4th of a jar in him a day of baby food. His iron is normal, so I am not worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassie.sattler View Post
my lo loves solids and eats a good bit. even if he just had a full solid meal he will still want boobs. i just feel so over touched and im already stressed. iv been trying to let solids win over bfing because he can eat and play at the same time, he wont sit in his high chair for more then 5 minutes unless he is eating junky crackers or animal cookies
I get over touched too. Especially with older baby gymnastics on my body. We also cosleep and nurse all night.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
saturn
Registered Users

My situation was different from yours (I WOH), but when DD was about 12 months, pumping was really stressing me out. I decided to continue to breastfeed, but eliminate the aspects of it that I disliked (waking up in the middle of the night to nurse, pumping at work). I introduced cow's milk (which is not strictly necessary if you are continuing to breastfeed, but I felt was right for us anyways), and now I only nurse about 4 times a day when I'm at home. I felt sort of guilty about making those changes at the time, but now I'm so glad that I did because breastfeeding is better than ever!
What I'm trying to say is that I think once the baby is a year old it's okay for you to make some changes in your nursing relationship to make it more enjoyable for you. It's okay to say no if baby wants to nurse when you don't. It's okay to give them something else to eat or drink. It's okay to introduce cow's milk (or goat milk, or rice milk, or whatever suits you). The baby will adjust. It's better to make some changes so that you can ENJOY your breastfeeding relationship rather than continue to breastfeed on demand and hate it. Think about what your ideal breastfeeding relationship would be like, and figure out what you need to do to get there.
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
cassie.sattler
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn View Post
My situation was different from yours (I WOH), but when DD was about 12 months, pumping was really stressing me out. I decided to continue to breastfeed, but eliminate the aspects of it that I disliked (waking up in the middle of the night to nurse, pumping at work). I introduced cow's milk (which is not strictly necessary if you are continuing to breastfeed, but I felt was right for us anyways), and now I only nurse about 4 times a day when I'm at home. I felt sort of guilty about making those changes at the time, but now I'm so glad that I did because breastfeeding is better than ever!
What I'm trying to say is that I think once the baby is a year old it's okay for you to make some changes in your nursing relationship to make it more enjoyable for you. It's okay to say no if baby wants to nurse when you don't. It's okay to give them something else to eat or drink. It's okay to introduce cow's milk (or goat milk, or rice milk, or whatever suits you). The baby will adjust. It's better to make some changes so that you can ENJOY your breastfeeding relationship rather than continue to breastfeed on demand and hate it. Think about what your ideal breastfeeding relationship would be like, and figure out what you need to do to get there.
i dreaded night feedings so we pretty much made those obsolete. iv been introducing soy milk with cereal once a night but his poop gets kinda smelly. breastfeeding while im on my period is totally not working any more. sometimes i pump just so i dont feel so crowded. i really dont like formula for my situation but when it gets really rough i sometimes have fantasies about my dh making a bottle. this is such a hard transition when you know they dont "need" it any more and all the guilt and tears that rise.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would wean. I'm all for extended breast feeding, but only when everybody is on board. You can't be expected to sacrifice your mental health.

I'm going to say the unpopular thing.

Your son is old enough to wean.

At twelve months, he is old enough to be on milk (or milk alternative, whatever floats your boat.)

He's old enough to glean the nutrition he needs from food.

Take yourself off the hook.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:
My third went through a similar "phase" at thta same age. At the end of the day I would cringe if anyone tried to touch me!
It gets better. There are also things you can begin doing to distract and teach your little one "when Momma says no, she means no!" None of them are easy, but not much in parenting is!
Wish you luck Mama!
Old 04-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

8x a day is normal.. So my guess is you aren't getting good feeds because he is distracted. Quiet place. Try side lying. 4x a day is NOT enough for his main nutientbsource