View Poll Results: Do you regret giving your child a popular name?
Yes 10 22.22%
No 22 48.89%
Sometimes but not often 13 28.89%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Popular names...any regrets?

Has anyone ever given their child a name that is ranked in the top 10 and regretted it? I am pregnant with my first girl and DH and I have only really agreed on one name. Our criteria are: must be italian in origin.

So, the name we both love is Sophia/Sofia but it is so popular right now and we don't like the idea of her being one of eight Sophia's in any group.

Do you regret giving your kid a popular name? If not, why not?

Can you think of other names we might be missing?

We vetoed Isabella (even though we like it) because I HATE Twilight and would never want anyone thinking I named my kid after the dopey heroine.

Advertisement

Last edited by JasmineMama; 10-27-2013 at 01:16 AM.
JasmineMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Popular names...any regrets?

I am one that hated my own name being so popular so I never named my kids anything popular. What about Florence as in Florence, Italy?
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I named my dd Olivia 16 years ago. It was not popular at all in my area. By a few years later it was super popular. I wish we had chosen another name.

We decided to stay out of the top with any subsequent children.

I grew up with a very popular name and I hated it. So I didn't want my kids to be just another "Katie" in class.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
Ber10512
Registered Users
seller

My name got very popular a few years after I was born, although I was named after my great grandmother. I never liked that it was so popular that I has to be distinguished by my last name or initial.

Have you tried Nymbler.com? You enter banes you like and it comes up with similar suggestions... I'm addicted to it.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
superbeans
Registered Users
seller

I didn't name my son, but I voted "no" anyway. (He's adopted and came with a name constantly in the top 10, and I believe the number 1 boys name of all time). I love his name. I could have changed it at the adoption if I wanted, but I love it and wouldn't do that. Even having a super common name he is still the only one in his class with the name. Sure we meet other kids from time to time with his name, but its really no biggie. I love his name and I don't regret that its his name for one second.

I think Sophia/Sofia is beautiful. We've met a few and its a lovely name. But popular names today are a bit different than popular names when we were kids... when we were kids if a name was popular there were 3 in every class (we had 3 Katie's, 3 Jennifer's, and 2 Jessica's in my grade during elementary school). Now when a name is popular it seems more like there are 3 in the school with the name, rather than 3 in the class. I think there is more diversity among names in general so its not as big of a deal.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Yes. My oldest is Caitlin. While there are very few kids that spell it that way, there are eleventy billion Katelyn, Kaitlin, Kaitlynn, etc etc. I didn't realize it was such a popular name when she was born. If I had, I would have cone with something else. I would have chosen Cadence instead.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

We named DD Abigail not knowing it was #4 in popularity at the time. I had never meet an Abigail that was not an older woman, so we figured we were safe but boy were we wrong. DD just went to a slumber party and 3 out of 5 girls were named Abigail I grew up with a insanely popular name and I HATED it. I wish DD did not have such a popular name.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
danimdel
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have an Alexander and no regrets. We picked it when we were dating and it fits him perfectly. I think it helps that I don't feel like its trendy, but consistently popular through time. That's not to say it's not annoying when I hear mom's calling Alex's pretty often, but it doesn't bother me enough to regret it. I also agree with pp that there is more naming diversity now and a name in the top 10 isn't used as much as 30 years ago.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We named DD1 Aubrey about 2 years before it really shot up in popularity. It was popular but not nearly as popular as it got. We had that name picked out in 2006 when we were teenagers. So I wouldn't change it and don't regret it but occasionally it is annoying how popular it is.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber10512 View Post
My name got very popular a few years after I was born, although I was named after my great grandmother. I never liked that it was so popular that I has to be distinguished by my last name or initial.

Have you tried Nymbler.com? You enter banes you like and it comes up with similar suggestions... I'm addicted to it.
oooh...thanks! I'm off to try it now.