View Poll Results: Do you regret giving your child a popular name?
Yes 10 22.22%
No 22 48.89%
Sometimes but not often 13 28.89%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #61
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Re: Popular names...any regrets?

Only one of my 3 kids has a name in the top 10, but it's not a problem at all. Honestly I'm surprised it's as high as it is (#7 when he was born in 2004, Daniel) because I only know one other kid named that. I think there's a difference between popular & trendy names. I personally wanted to avoid trendy.

Advertisement

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #62
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

A cool thing I noticed when looking at names was the amount of babies that get the top names has greatly dropped. My DH was one of over 20,000 Joshua's born in 1988 (most common name). Nowadays the top name is in the low thousands. Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 10-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #63
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

I really like to reference www.behindthename.com. You can enter a name, click on "Popularity" and see the popularity trends over time, either in graph format or in numbers format. It is really helpful to see if a name has begun trending upwards in popularity, which to me is a good indictor to avoid it. I have an uncommon name and decidedly prefer less common names.

For example, at behindthename.com, I can see that Sofia was ranked #112 in 2002, but #18 in 2012, and has been steadily climbing each of those 10 years. So it stands to reason for me that Sofia will become more popular in the next few years. Sophia ranked #1 in both 2011 and 2012. It has been in the top 10 since 2006. For me personally, that is too popular.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #64
SweetMamaKaty
Registered Users
seller
seller

We actually picked popular names by accident. They weren't popular around here, and we had never known people by either name! We even had to spell ds's name and re-say it multiple times for people it was so new to them. But top 10's they are. As pp's have said, the names fit them perfectly and I don't regret the choices, but I admit it will probably bug me if there are multiples in their classes at school in the future...

As for baby #3 on the way, girl's name is pretty much decided because we need to do a family name for dh's side - it is VERY overused in our area though, so I'm still trying to figure if it would work for a middle so she'd have a different first (if a girl of course)... Boy's name I have a clean slate. and a blank mind.

ETA: I just looked at the list for top 100 - I guess dd is not top 10 any more, but it was the year she was born...

Last edited by SweetMamaKaty; 10-20-2013 at 03:52 PM.
SweetMamaKaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #65
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

We also did not mean to pick popular names. We do not regret the 3 popular names we picked. They were actually more popular after we picked them.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #66
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Sophia Kaitlin is my angel baby so I'm partial to it We have Liliana, Catalina, Alexandra, with middle names Isabel, Marisa, and Natalie.

Liliana and Alexandra ended up being WAY more popular than I thought, but I still love the names and don't regret it.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #67
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My name is Sarah; and I was a child of the 80's when every third girl was named Sarah. I do think I was ever in a class in school or college that there wasn't another 2 or 3 Sarah's. By the time I was in junior high/high school I had nicknames people used no one ever really called me sarah. Didn't really bother me; but tends to happen when you have a popular name- don't know if that is good or bad.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #68
my5sons
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by risata View Post
Is THAT why Tristan is so popular all of a sudden? I've long loved the James Herriot books and always liked the name Tristan because of them. But then I started noticing a bunch of little Tristans popping up everywhere and I couldn't figure out why! lol It always makes me think of Tristan Farnon when I hear it, though. He's my favorite character in those books.

We have a Tristan and a James...but we drew the line at naming one of our boys Siegfried! LOL