Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #11
Ainmemphis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: WWYD - Leaving Career to be SAHM

This is my story:
When I got pregnant DH and I decided that I would quit my job and stay home BUT I wanted to use my medical insurance through work for the delivery. I started saving up all of my paychecks but never told anyone at work I was thinking of not coming back after maternity leave. I didn't want anything to happen to my job if I changed my mind or screw up my insurance.
I met with human resources to go over information for maternity leave, I asked innocently about what happens if I am on leave and I decide I don't want to return to work. She informed me that it was my right to make that decision and it would not be held against me (I was worried about being black listed and un-hireable in the future at that place of employment). she said that their policy is I submit in writing my resignation and my employment would be terminated immediately, no 2 week notice needed.
In my position I had to make sure someone else could uphold my duties while I was away and I left very detailed instructions and Standard Operating procedures for all of my experiments. All of the articles I was working on for publishing were wrapped up and given to the person collaborating with me and I went on maternity leave.
towards the end of my leave I started emailing my boss and telling him that I was just not ready to come back to work and felt my place was at home. I informed him I planned on submitting my resignation and he tried to work out a part time schedule with me but it wasn't worth the driving and finding childcare for me.

my boss was upset, yes but he himself believed that family came first and had his own wife stay home when their kids were young. He holds grudges and none of my hard work was noted when my articles were published (minus my name) BUT I am enjoying my role as a SAHM so much I don't even worry about professional stuff anymore. When my time comes to return to work I know I will find a position somewhere and it will all work out.

good luck!

Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 06:56 AM   #12
Ber10512
Registered Users
seller

Thank you all so much for your input! I think I am going to wait until I go on leave to resign.

Since I will be gone for 3 months anyway, I don't think it would cause much hardship if I didn't come back. Whoever takes over my position will likely occupy my office regardless, and be picking up where I left off on projects. After all, if I were to quit straight out they'd only get 2 weeks to replace me - now they have 6 months lead time to find a temp, and 2 months after that to find somebody permanent. I also think it will take that weight off my mind, since I'll probably be feeling pretty anxious about labor & delivery by that point!

Side note, having a mean unsociable boss really sucks.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would check with HR before you leave (like someone mentioned). In my state, an employer can ask you to pay back your benefits from your FMLA period if you don't return to work after your FMLA leave. I wouldn't want to be caught paying back that much money unawares. I did return to work after my FMLA to avoid paying back the insurance benefits and to test out the WOHM waters. I didn't like it and so I decided to leave after a few months back but by that point I didn't owe anything.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
Ber10512
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, luckily (unfortunately?) they are providing me with literally NOTHING while on leave. My insurance is through my husband. There's nothing they could make me pay back.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Haha, that is how my present part time position is. I am praying everyday that my DH and I can swing me not going back at all after this little one is born. I will quit with delight. I've been part time for 3 years but haven't gotten a raise (despite during more work than a full time employee) and keep getting jerked around by benefits. Looking forward to saying "see ya!"