Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #11
mgjg1206
Registered Users
seller

Flats challenge?

Advertisement

mgjg1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:24 PM   #12
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

Yeah I think this is the 4th year. It's an event that Kim at dirtydiaperlaundry.com started on her blog to help raise awareness of an exonomical option for cloth and to help people see cloth as an option even if they don't own a washer and the reason I like it is because it helps me have some empathy for families that have to use flats full time and handwash. A very humbling experience. You can register to officially participate on her site so your survey info will go into her stats at the end. But basically it's a week of using flats and covers exclusively and only boosters if needed. And then hand washing them. This year I'm gonna vlog my experience but I figured a dry run of machine washing but still using flats would help me adjust better lol.
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:32 PM   #13
mgjg1206
Registered Users
seller

Wow! It does sound like a humbling experience but I honestly wish I could say that I could join in the effort...but with 3 kids and baby I can barely find time to shower let alone hand wash...lol
mgjg1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:42 PM   #14
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgjg1206
Wow! It does sound like a humbling experience but I honestly wish I could say that I could join in the effort...but with 3 kids and baby I can barely find time to shower let alone hand wash...lol
Lol right!? Lol I'm seeing if I can get hubby on board. We only have the one toddler and one on the way. And the washing takes about 30 minutes so I figure we can take turns while the other puts ds down for the night. Lol hopefully. It was easier with a 5 month old and not preggo so we shall see. But there are families that do this full time with 5+ kids. Just amazing.
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:34 PM   #15
aprilflower
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ahh!! Flats are scary!!

I get a great tight fit when I airplane fold. It is a fairly time consuming fold but it's great for a boy and I get the best results pinning with this fold.Interlock wool is a nice option if you like to snappi. THere are less chances of you injuring your wool but I love sbish wool so I am now pinning a lot more as well. The cotton flats hold the snappi like a glove but any amount of bamboo in the flat leads to some issues when wet with the third leg of the snappi and it sometimes loses it's grip. Maybe I am the only one but that has been my experience. My older girl, as soon as she was able to talk started to complain about the snappi but she would hold still if I pinned so I started pinning more. THere is a learning curve but hang in there. I LOVE my flats . Oh and the pins in the soap trick works great too!
aprilflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:19 AM   #16
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

maybe try with your flips, if your fold isn't tight it really doesn't matter and work up from there. I used snappi and boingos - though I find I prefer my snappi (never tried pins). I tried flats with #2 for the first time and discovered while I don't mind flats I much prefer prefolds for snappi-ing. Though I sewed my flats into inserts and I LOVE them as inserts, so trim.

I'm doing prefolds with fleece (first time really using a non PUL/TPU cover) and I'm liking it.

BTW your child may have just been reacting to the stay dry of the pockets not the PUL itself. Trying the flips will also let you know if you really need the breathablity and/or if you really need it all the time.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 05-01-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #17
DiaperDiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always loved pinning flats, but it's a learning curve. you also want to pull it a little tighter then you want it to be after you pin. once you pin , it relaxes out for a secure but comfortable fit. Also, try flats with a little stretch.