Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2017, 01:50 PM   #21
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Kindergarten homeschool..how many hours?

Depends on what you consider school learning at that age. My kiddo likes being read to, building with blocks, coloring, doing activity books (limited time on this), his math and letter puzzles, etc. All is learning, he is right on target but we don't actually sit him down and say this is school. Not at this age. Maybe a bit more next year. We will see. He will be 6 this summer. So far thougb, play time has answered for his learning. He has been known to go to bed doing simple math problems out loud. Like if I have this many of ? And get so many more I now have.... so I figure he is learning just fine.

Advertisement

qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:58 PM   #22
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinae89 View Post
I'm glad I saw this, I have a 4 1/2 year old who will be starting homeschooling after she turns 5 and being I was in actual "school" you think 8 hour days for homeschooling as well. So I'm glad there are a lot of easy going moms on here about it especially for this age.
Break it down. Public school kids may be gone from home 8+ hours a day. Few if any are actually doing that much school work. In junior high we had 9 'hours' or classes split between 8:15 am - 3:15 pm. The classes were as follows, although not in this order.

P.E.
Study Hall
Study Hall(yes 2 study classes)
Art class
Lunch
English
Math
History
Science

So 7 hour divided between 9 classes. Between each class we had around 3-5 minutes to change classes. Then it was time to settle in before we actually began learning something. Time sat piddling around waiting for others to finish should we finish our work early. And of course just plain old busy work. Like what child really needs to do 40-50 math problems in one day? Anyway, not nearly as much time spent actually learning in public school as many people believe it to be.

I added up the time spent actually doing school work with the last 4 listed classes, not counting art or P.E. it came to 3 hours. Time from which you still have to subtract from. So probably closer to 2 1/2 hours.

Homeschooling cuts through this wasted dead time. Makes the learning day significantly shorter, or longer if you wish. I like to include cleaning and cooking in my 'learning' home economics you know.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 02-07-2017 at 02:15 PM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #23
every.tribe78
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't drive yourself crazy with hours or time limitations. I would stick to a healthy list of things you want to accomplish in that day with him or her, and then keep a record of those lists to hypothetically turn in to the State if asked. There is no way we can stretch one of our days into a full public school day because it's 1:1 or 1:4 or however many children you have in your home (and not 1:26). But if you have those objectives to show, say a planner, plus the work that the child does, then you are covered. Save everything. (Well, the BEST of everything!)
Jessica
every.tribe78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:45 AM   #24
linem24
Registered Users

Best thing about homeschooling is option of being flexible. If there's a bad mood/tired, roll with it. You could regroup on a weekend, in the afternoon or just let it slide since he is little.
linem24 is offline   Reply With Quote