Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2015, 06:49 PM   #1
familygal
Registered Users

Question 3 year old homeschool

Hello just looking for some adviice. I plan to homeschool all our children. My. First is 3 years old. Others what did youi do at this age? Did you start a type of curriculum? Or did you just let them play be kids worry about homeschooling later? Did you do a lot of crafts/learning to write letters and numbers/singing songs/reading books?

Also, has anyone done the ABC Jesus Loves Me curriculum program? If so, did your child enjoy it?

Advertisement

familygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:19 PM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: 3 year old homeschool

We didn't do anything formal at all at that point, we waited until 5. So long as you are interacting with them--reading books, talking about your day, etc--they will learn more than enough at that age without 'school'.

We did do some crafts and such, but not as school, just because they like it. And baking with mom is always a hit. Basically just live life and take them along for the ride.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:35 AM   #3
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten
We didn't do anything formal at all at that point, we waited until 5. So long as you are interacting with them--reading books, talking about your day, etc--they will learn more than enough at that age without 'school'. We did do some crafts and such, but not as school, just because they like it. And baking with mom is always a hit. Basically just live life and take them along for the ride.
What she said. Zoo, museums, library books, some Sesame Street, nature walks, and just family life is all we do. Even Kindergarten is very informal.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #4
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by familygal View Post
Hello just looking for some adviice. I plan to homeschool all our children. My. First is 3 years old. Others what did youi do at this age? Did you start a type of curriculum? Or did you just let them play be kids worry about homeschooling later? Did you do a lot of crafts/learning to write letters and numbers/singing songs/reading books?

Also, has anyone done the ABC Jesus Loves Me curriculum program? If so, did your child enjoy it?
I did a very modified ABC Jesus Loves me. I didn't want to do a whole program but I would do the fingerplays and letter/number recognition.

I also do a modified Five in a Row.

It really depends on the kid. My soon to be four year old is just now ready to sit down and do something structured. My dd was ready at two.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:47 PM   #5
cgrosec
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have been doing some montessori homeschool with my 3 year old- basically involves life skills, reading to the child, using sandpaper letters, hands on number representation, and things like that. I also found a curriculum called The Homegrown Preschooler, that is absolutely amazing!!
cgrosec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:02 PM   #6
dancinmomma
Registered Users
seller

It really depends on the child. My oldest, now 4.5 started asking about letters, shapes, before the age of 2! She was talking before 1! My son, now 2.5 is just learning his numbers and letter, recognizes some shapes. All teaching is done through crafts, play and reading books.
dancinmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:01 AM   #7
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Nothing, my oldest is ASD and we were deep in therapy at 3. Honestly we were still deep in therapy at 5. We didn't start to get things together until he was 7 and he spent a year in a charter school because he had spent the two years before that refusing to do anything for me (it was probably best for both of us considering the 5 years of intensive therapy/alternative treatments we had just been through). With my youngest, I just let him be a kid. I read to him, I read to them both. He is a very active and physical child. He liked to play with play dough, paint, and color. We started learning to read and numbers when he was 5 (right after his birthday in December). He will not tolerate highly structured school work even now (I switched to a modified Charlotte Mason style because of him) but he manages to stay about a grade level ahead of his same aged peers anyway.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:33 PM   #8
Mama2fluffybutt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hs my oldest so my 3yo likes to do "school" too. We do color and shape recognition. Pattern blocks, puzzles. Counting and number and letter recognition. Grouping similar items, matching cards, painting or crafts, story time. We'll do about 1-2 of these a day and story time every day. Very unstructured. When she gets bored with an activity we move on to something else.
Mama2fluffybutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:27 PM   #9
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I knew I wanted to homeschool, so I started early with my first to get my feet wet. I combined the ABC Jesus Loves Me with Brightly Beaming Resources but came up with my own outline based on their schedule/suggestions. I blogged rather extensively at the time, so feel free to take a gander at what we did.

I currently have a three-year-old and don't do anything structured her, unless she wants to join in with the big kids or whatever. Even when I planned things before, I think it's most important for kids to be kids, to learn through play and creativity. Starting early gave me an idea for what I liked and didn't like, but I wouldn't do it again. Also, with subsequent ages, they pick up so much from their siblings and the world around them, I've found that I don't need to teach colors, shapes, etc.
karlitacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:59 PM   #10
cabehlke2
Registered Users
seller

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like just playing isn't enough... I feel like these things you mentioned are things we are currently doing. Shouldn't I start "prepping" him for being able to sit down and concentrate, or something?
cabehlke2 is offline   Reply With Quote