Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2016, 05:51 PM   #11
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We do a math page or two (depending on his interest level) and some handwriting/phonics, then call it a day. When I read our history books to the girls, I ask him to sit and listen. He is probably doing school work for 45-60 minutes.

Advertisement

Old 09-09-2016, 12:50 AM   #12
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Kindergarten homeschool..how many hours?

we did about 40-90 depending on our mood. Math Phonics a little handwriting and religion were done daily.. The rest added as it fit. longer days were because we got interested in a project or watched video over something or got caught up in story books.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:44 AM   #13
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmom5 View Post
I agree with everyone else. One thing I also did was tried to make learning about life. So if I cook, they help. Even if its just mixing and I'm talking about something. Cutting up an apple and cutting it in half. Its all learning!!
Very good point. Explain everything as you go.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:13 PM   #14
HelloMama5
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneproudmommy View Post
Agreed! We do about an hour of school time but my kindergartener spends time reading or playing games so they're really learning a lot throughout the day when it's not officially school time. Just make sure they get plenty of play time ��
Same here
HelloMama5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #15
erinofgod
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it varies by state as well. In SC I'm expected to do 4 hours a day and 180 days a year. I will count outside time, chores, getting dressed, cooking etc. as school time too. There's so much to be learned from every day life that I don't see why we can't count that into our education time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
erinofgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #16
Brinae89
Registered Users
seller

I'm glad I saw this, I have a 4 1/2 year old who will be starting homeschooling after she turns 5 and being I was in actual "school" you think 8 hour days for homeschooling as well. So I'm glad there are a lot of easy going moms on here about it especially for this age.
Brinae89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:26 AM   #17
goMamaMel
Registered Users

This is our first year officially homeschooling as my oldest is in kinder this year. I went into the year with high expectations for myself, and from the start began drilling sight words and math facts. this felt so unnatural for me and my little guy, and it totally wasnt fun!
Due to this realization and various other life situations that changed, we stopped this approach. Instead of sight words we got the book "teach our child to read in 100 easy lessons" which apart from it being such a scripted program, has worked really well. We do one lesson from that book each day (and try not to stress when we skip a day!) which usually takes 15-20 mins. Other than that I try and have any learning and lesson time be through play activities. We live on a farm so a lot of our learning is hands on. Usually we don't spend more than 30 mins on "official" lessons. We do art almost every day, and while they learn so much through this, I don't necessarily consider it lesson time.
As PP said, they learn so much through normal life-- cooking with me, counting eggs from the chicken coup, watching seeds sprout-- I wish starting out the year i had not tried to do so much. I would have been less stressed if i hadn't!
ETA: We also read a lot of books! silly books, poetry, picture books... anything that interests my kids. My hyperactive 5 year old surprises me often when he wants to sit still on the couch and continue to read more stories.

Good luck to you in your homeschool journey mama. It has been such a blessing to me, and I know i have tons more to learn myself!
J- 4/2011 & E- 4/2013 & L- 6/2014 & baby #4 4/2017

Last edited by goMamaMel; 02-06-2017 at 09:28 AM.
goMamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:08 PM   #18
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinae89 View Post
I'm glad I saw this, I have a 4 1/2 year old who will be starting homeschooling after she turns 5 and being I was in actual "school" you think 8 hour days for homeschooling as well. So I'm glad there are a lot of easy going moms on here about it especially for this age.
My high schooler doesn't spend 8 hours a day doing school.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:49 AM   #19
reecesmommy
Registered Users
seller

Remember 8 hour school days aren't all learning...they have to fill time because the school day is based on parent working hours not how much learning time they need....I agree with the above who said they count everything as school time, we do the same and my 3rd grader spends about 1.5 hours actually sitting at the table doing work....we read aloud and listen to school books outside of that and chores, helping in the kitchen, grocery shopping, field trips, reading to her sister all count. We also leave Friday for catching up so we operate on a mostly 4 day school week : )

My Kindergartener listens to the read alouds and audio books with us and I sit down with her most days for some phonics and simple math but otherwise she learns through playing and being a 5 year old.

Charlotte Mason has many good writings on how much to do at any age (she didn't start anything before the age of 6) and I was encouraged by many veteran homeschoolers to only worry about the 3 Rs for 1-3 grade. K should be fun and at their own pace, they have 12+ years of school after that....

reecesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:21 PM   #20
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecesmommy View Post
Remember 8 hour school days aren't all learning...they have to fill time because the school day is based on parent working hours not how much learning time they need....I agree with the above who said they count everything as school time, we do the same and my 3rd grader spends about 1.5 hours actually sitting at the table doing work....we read aloud and listen to school books outside of that and chores, helping in the kitchen, grocery shopping, field trips, reading to her sister all count. We also leave Friday for catching up so we operate on a mostly 4 day school week : )

My Kindergartener listens to the read alouds and audio books with us and I sit down with her most days for some phonics and simple math but otherwise she learns through playing and being a 5 year old.

Charlotte Mason has many good writings on how much to do at any age (she didn't start anything before the age of 6) and I was encouraged by many veteran homeschoolers to only worry about the 3 Rs for 1-3 grade. K should be fun and at their own pace, they have 12+ years of school after that....

This! Exactly!
MamaChirpy is online now   Reply With Quote