Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-12-2017, 09:05 PM   #51
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Back to School Chat!

We had a great school day!!!! Hip hip hooray!

After my dentist appt, (I didn't get home until after 12.) Annley wanted to go home with Granny for a while so I let her. We got right to school and did about 2.5 hours straight. Logan got ahead in math and mastered a new concept by himself.
AB suddenly saw the light on some math we have been working on for a while. AB also informed me that she disliked the story we are working on for literature so could we please hurry up and finish it? So we did. HA!

Advertisement

MamaChirpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:26 PM   #52
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Back to School Chat!

Well, today was co-op day, so some schoolwork got done, but not as much as probably should've. They'll get it done, though.

Jen, I do teach both ways, and make sure they know both ways because in my experience, they will at some point, come across something that will be easier a certain way. Or, if they ever have to take standardized tests (even if it's not until college entrance exams), they sometimes ask for a certain way. As for Writing Strands, we tried it one year and didn't care for it. It seemed too disjointed to me, and the kids didn't care for it. Institute for Excellence in Writing is great, though, and they could do it together. You don't need to get the teacher's manual, if you are able and willing to watch the student video. That doesn't really do grammar or literature, though. We use Rod and Staff for grammar, and for literature, we have used Rod and Staff, but now I just have the kids read quality literature and we discuss things.

Chirpy -- good for Logan!
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote