Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #31
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

January 2019-New Year New chatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLlama View Post
I'm pretty sure TN has some conservatives living there too. Isn't it the home of country music? No idea about the homeschool laws. I may never leave AZ because homeschooling is SO EASY here. (And other reasons too. We love AZ.)

Have any of you used All About Reading with struggling/dyslexic readers? My daughter *can* read but her retention is almost nil. So I'm not sure if it would fit our situation or not. But I like the idea of already-planned daily lessons. (Her spelling is awful too. And I've just realized all her math is based on skip-counting...so we have lots of work to do.)

I think AAR is fantastic for struggling spellers and readers.

It has worked well for my son also. He is not a struggling reader, but he didn't pick up reading fluently quite as fast as my daughter. (But, to be fair, she is a superstar reader.) He is getting more and more fluent every day. He completed Level 1 and is now on Level 2.

My daughter is the superstar reader and I tried Level 3 AAR with her. To make sure she knew all the rules and such. It was a waste of time. It was just busy work so we stopped after the first two lessons. I do use All About Spelling with her. She used to have some trouble spelling but not anymore. She can spell very well now and we aren't even finished with Level 1. I don't know that the program helped that much? Maybe it did or maybe she just matured very quickly in that area. She can spell all the words in Level 1 AAS but we still use the book to go over the rules. It helps in that respect for sure.

Advertisement

Last edited by MamaChirpy; 01-09-2019 at 01:15 PM.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:18 PM   #32
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Re: January 2019-New Year New chatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
I am sure parts of Tennessee are full of liberals, but not everywhere. As for the homeschool laws, I think you have to go through an umbrella school, but I'm not positive. Go check out HSLDA.org and see what it says. I know there are Facebook groups for homeschoolers in Tennessee.

Where in Tennessee would y'all move to?

I think we would have a range of places that would be acceptable. I'm not sure exactly where that range would be yet. I know anywhere close to the MS line would be fine. But that's all I know for now.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #33
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh I remember you saying that about the crotch strap now. My kids tend to be tiny which probably makes some of that easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
Jen-yay for cleaning mode! Me too.

I'm glad you get to use juice for your test. I wouldn't mind the test if that was the case.

Funnily enough, I have always passed it except for this last time with Morgan. I failed it big time. Good luck to you!
My last midwife didn't even make me take the test! I'm very low risk since I've never had it before, haven't ever had large babies, haven't ever gained an unusual amount of weight with pregnancy, and am thin to begin with. But this one says I have to anyway. The juice is a good compromise but she says it quite a bit of juice to guzzle so still not looking forward to it. I can do apple or grape....I said either is fine but if 1 would mean less oz to drink I want that one!

Did you pass the 3 hour test? I did fail the 1 hour when I was pregnant with Keegan....I may have ate a fruit roll up shortly before the test. Turns out you shouldn't do that. Even then I just *barely* missed the cutoff and my 3 hour numbers were fantastic.

I have never tried all about reading/spelling. I am thinking about starting in more with my little crew. Mr 5 and Mr 4 know all their letters and virtually all their letter sounds. We don't usually start school this early but I'm wondering if they would enjoy it and can't decide. I have MFW K stuff, which is nice and gentle, and I have Hooked on Phonics K as well. If I did start something it would probably just be occasionally because I don't want it to be too much for them....or more realistically too much for me!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #34
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Oh I remember you saying that about the crotch strap now. My kids tend to be tiny which probably makes some of that easier.

My last midwife didn't even make me take the test! I'm very low risk since I've never had it before, haven't ever had large babies, haven't ever gained an unusual amount of weight with pregnancy, and am thin to begin with. But this one says I have to anyway. The juice is a good compromise but she says it quite a bit of juice to guzzle so still not looking forward to it. I can do apple or grape....I said either is fine but if 1 would mean less oz to drink I want that one!

Did you pass the 3 hour test? I did fail the 1 hour when I was pregnant with Keegan....I may have ate a fruit roll up shortly before the test. Turns out you shouldn't do that. Even then I just *barely* missed the cutoff and my 3 hour numbers were fantastic.

I have never tried all about reading/spelling. I am thinking about starting in more with my little crew. Mr 5 and Mr 4 know all their letters and virtually all their letter sounds. We don't usually start school this early but I'm wondering if they would enjoy it and can't decide. I have MFW K stuff, which is nice and gentle, and I have Hooked on Phonics K as well. If I did start something it would probably just be occasionally because I don't want it to be too much for them....or more realistically too much for me!

If you start something with them, I would NOT choose AAR. It would be too much at a time for little guys IMO.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:18 PM   #35
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

I was trying to remember about my sugar test too. I think I failed Morgan's 3 hour test also? I am also very low risk, by the way. But now I can't remember. I certainly don't remember what happened if I did fail it.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:27 PM   #36
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
If you start something with them, I would NOT choose AAR. It would be too much at a time for little guys IMO.
Oh I wasn't thinking that, I was just thinking of easing in with something we already have like the MFW K. It was just rambling strung together from that subject to my next one lol.

Quote:
I was trying to remember about my sugar test too. I think I failed Morgan's 3 hour test also? I am also very low risk, by the way. But now I can't remember. I certainly don't remember what happened if I did fail it.
Surely you would know if you failed the 3 hour because then you have to continue to monitor sugar levels for the rest of the pregnancy and watch you diet/exercise. So maybe you passed? IDK, I just hope I pass! The one hour one is enough for me.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:53 PM   #37
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Oh I wasn't thinking that, I was just thinking of easing in with something we already have like the MFW K. It was just rambling strung together from that subject to my next one lol.

Surely you would know if you failed the 3 hour because then you have to continue to monitor sugar levels for the rest of the pregnancy and watch you diet/exercise. So maybe you passed? IDK, I just hope I pass! The one hour one is enough for me.

Yeah, I must have passed it. Maybe it was borderline because I remember discussions about what would happen if I failed it.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:19 PM   #38
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did the juice this last time. It was easier than the glucola to drink. One pregnancy they had switched to EVERYONE doing the fasting 3 hour right off the bat...awful.

My TN folks are all conservative. Moved there because TN was conservative compared to NY. The one family noted that the area is full of transplants from all over the north and south. They are Centerville area. Lots of homeschoolers, but again, coming from NY anything is less strict!

Quote:

I am still sewing like crazy. I am trying to actually use up more fabric than I buy
My SIL says there is an actual word/phrase for yarn, something about if your stash can be used up by the time of your reasonable life expectancy...

Glad your family is feeling mostly better!
Quote:
J. We have a 97 Suburban with the two car seats in the center back and center middle (those are both just lap belts,
Quote:
Researching...I think I may go with the Britax just because it has seat belt lockoffs. We don't have latches in our car so we use the seatbelt, and being able to lock them in place with the car seat would be a really cool feature.
Have you gotten the top tether retrofit? It makes it so you can top tether the center 3rd row. I have a '96 and a '98 suburban. I had old style Boulevards in there no problem.

For the lock offs, do you mean your lap belts don't lock securely? Sometimes the locking latch plate will slip especially if it's close to the opening of the carseat belt slot--you can often remedy that by flipping the male end of the buckle 180* so it is buckling "backwards/upside down." The lap/shoulder belts are switchable locking retractors, activated by pulling the seat belt aaaaalllll the way out then letting it retract; you will hear it clicking as it goes back in.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:01 PM   #39
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeotwoski View Post
Have you gotten the top tether retrofit? It makes it so you can top tether the center 3rd row. I have a '96 and a '98 suburban. I had old style Boulevards in there no problem.

For the lock offs, do you mean your lap belts don't lock securely? Sometimes the locking latch plate will slip especially if it's close to the opening of the carseat belt slot--you can often remedy that by flipping the male end of the buckle 180* so it is buckling "backwards/upside down." The lap/shoulder belts are switchable locking retractors, activated by pulling the seat belt aaaaalllll the way out then letting it retract; you will hear it clicking as it goes back in.
I have not gotten the top tether retrofit, how do you go about doing that?
Our lap belts don't lock securely--at least I'm not totally confident in them. I'll have to try the backwards/upside down buckling and see if it helps. The other belts lock, but none of my other kids are in harnessed car seats so I prefer to let them have the shoulder belts. Locking seat belts are so nice for car seats though! Back in the day we had a locking clip to put on the seatbelt (13 years ago) and it was a pain. Locking seat belts seemed like such a luxury after that!
Old 01-09-2019, 05:38 PM   #40
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeotwoski View Post
I did the juice this last time. It was easier than the glucola to drink. One pregnancy they had switched to EVERYONE doing the fasting 3 hour right off the bat...awful.

My TN folks are all conservative. Moved there because TN was conservative compared to NY. The one family noted that the area is full of transplants from all over the north and south. They are Centerville area. Lots of homeschoolers, but again, coming from NY anything is less strict!

My SIL says there is an actual word/phrase for yarn, something about if your stash can be used up by the time of your reasonable life expectancy...

Glad your family is feeling mostly better!

I have known so many people who fail the one hour to pass the 3 hour with flying colors, I am not surprised a doctor would switch everyone to just the 3 hour. It seems to be a more accurate reading. I always failed the one hour, but was never even borderline for the three hour.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote