Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
doublebk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help from teachers and homeschool mamas

My dd just finished 4th grade this year. She did really well, except for reading. The stupid thing is she is the best reader in the class, she can read on a 7th grade level, possible more, but they were only allowed to test that high, and that is where her teacher started the test at and she passed. Well, her problem is with spelling, grammar, punctuation, and turning in her homework. Her overall reading grade was an F. Most of that is from not turning in homework. She would do it, just not turn it in. Anyway, I want her to work on stuff during the summer to help. I was thinking maybe book reports, but she has never actually done one and it has been years since I have done one, so I dont know what I should expect from her. Like I said, her spelling is HORRIBLE! She would learn words for the spelling test, then *poof* it was gone from her mind. So, what would be good things for me to have her do? If a book report, how do we do it? Please help! Thanks

Advertisement

doublebk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
sarahrichardson
Registered Users

Re: Help from teachers and homeschool mamas

I teach third grade. I wouldn't do book reports. There is a workbook called Daily Language Review. It has five problems a day and it would work on her grammar etc the most. Book reports are fine, but they focus on her reading, which she's fine in. I would focus on the grammar.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
doublebk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahrichardson View Post
I teach third grade. I wouldn't do book reports. There is a workbook called Daily Language Review. It has five problems a day and it would work on her grammar etc the most. Book reports are fine, but they focus on her reading, which she's fine in. I would focus on the grammar.
Which grade should I get? Grade 4 or 5?
doublebk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
LilyGrace
Registered Users

I don't know how much you can do over the summer, but what about helping her create her own spelling list for next year? As she has work corrected, encourage her to write the spelling of the word in a notebook divided alphabetically. Next time she writes the word, she can look it up in her book first.

Other than that, I suggest adding Scrabble, Boggle, and other word games to your family game night. Go for spelling in a non-schoolish setting.

For punctuation, grammar, and the rest, we've really enjoyed a few series from the Critical Thinking Company:
Editor In Chief
Punctuation Puzzlers

DS gets to correct someone else's work, which is soooo much easier for him than trying to write well and creatively at the same time. The Beginning EIC program (there's the option of book or software) walks them through the different kinds of errors as they go through the stories, focusing on one type of error at a time. He's really grown this year in the structural writing dept., which has made writing much easier for him!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
revolekim
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't know if this would be something you're interested in, but I work at a Sylvan Learning Center and we have a program called Study Skills. It's GREAT at teaching children how to be more organized, their personal learning style, and how to glean the most from their classes and books. I don't know about other Sylvans, but ours is having a special for summer.

Liz , wife to Mike and semi-crunchy mama to 4 little ones: Gehrig the minecrafter (04/08), Logan a.k.a. "Pigpen" (06/10), princess pumpkin Katie Rose (10/12), and chipmunk Lexi (06/14) I've been cloth diapering for 7 years straight!
::www.chipmunkandco.com::
revolekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If its her writing skills you are concerned about....how about having her journal during the summer. There are books out there (I found mine at lakeshore learning) that give prompts (story starters) for each day of the year.

Have her write a paragraph or two, you correct it and then have her re-write it or at least go over it with you. Maybe have goals and rewards for the number of errors in each journal.