Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
MyM&W
Registered Users
Formerly: maddiesmommy0503
seller

My Mood:
Frequent nose bleeds

Hello all. My 3 year old has been having a TON of nose bleeds lately. Shes had them off and on since she was about 2, we took her to the doctors about 4-5 months ago to have her checked out and her doctor ended up ordering some blood work, which all came back fine (not really sure what he ordered though) but when they called they said she was fine other then low iron, which was fine 2-3 weeks before that blood draw because it was tested at WIC.
So they went away for awhile, well now they are back and happening way more often. Shes had 3 just today, and 2 yesterday and they gush! She gets so freaked out, they are so random too. She gets them during the day and at night..even while shes sleeping, poor thing. I used to get them bad when I was in grade school, but I also knew how to control them. She won't hardly let me pinch her nose to get it to stop. She will let me for maybe 20-30 seconds, the rest of the time I'm just wiping it or trying to stuff a piece of toilet paper up there lol. I don't think the air is dry, we don't have forced hot air plus its summer and we're not using the heat anyway (thats what the doc thought it was..dry air)
I tried to google it this afternoon, which I hate doing because I always find thing that REALLY freak me out, like today I read some common causes of nose bleeds and leukemia was one of them! I'm pretty sure she doesn't have that since she doesn't really have any of the symptoms for it.

Another thing that has been worrying me is for the past couple months shes been telling me that her tummy hurts. She will say shes hungry a few minutes after eating (thinking she will get a sweet snack or something) and I tell her to wait a little bit and she goes "I can't, my tummy hurts!" I've been my head about that one since she started saying that. I always thought maybe it was just a way to get what she wants.

I'm not sure if either of these are related to each other or not. Should I call her Dr. again to make another appointment to have her checked out. I think she has a repeat blood draw at the end of June. Should I wait until then? I just worry to much, and the fact that she will soak a tissue/napkin quickly with blood worries me.

ETA that when we where staying with my mom a month ago dd was always getting sick, she had a fever off and on for 3 weeks, along with other nasty stuff like fatigue and runny stools. I think it was because my brother was sick, but not sure.

Advertisement

Last edited by MyM&W; 06-03-2009 at 09:54 PM.
MyM&W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Frequent nose bleeds

Well, as for the nosebleeds, she may just have naturally dry sinuses. My son and I both do and so have nosebleeds very easily. My son's gush and even with him pinching it, they will often take 15 minutes to stop. He will have clots 6 inches long come out of his nose (he's only 6, so not very big yet). We put vaseline (or un-petroleum jelly) up his nose every 2-3 days and that seems to help. Before we started doing that it didn't seem to matter how much moisture we put back into the air.

As for the rest of it, I don't know. I can certainly see where you could be getting freaked out about things, but I can see where it could be a matter on coincidence, as well. Oh, and as for the stomach hurting, is she maybe thirsty?
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:04 AM   #3
MyM&W
Registered Users
Formerly: maddiesmommy0503
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for your advice mama. I'll give the vaseline a try. Hopefully that solves the problem!

I don't think her tummy is hurting from being thirsty. She drinks tons, I mean tons of water. Shes a water freak. I think she just says it, thinking I'll give her what she wants but I don't want to dismiss it as that until I know for sure lol
Old 06-04-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
ChicanaCoqueta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

my mom had horrible nosebleeds as a child and I got them too... that is until I started going to the chiropractor.
someone would touch my nose and it would bleed, I have a vivid memory of being in kindergarten and getting one and I already knew what to do. I def. recommend chiro.