Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2016, 05:32 PM   #11
Misskelsey
Registered Users

Re: Crates for dogs

We used a crate at night for the first year, and now that we trust her to wake us if she has to go to the bathroom she is free to roam at night. We also crate her if we are visiting family out of town and we leave her in someone else's house (just too afraid that even though she's trustworthy at my house, she would change her tune in a new environment!) She never seemed to like the crate or regard it as her den or her safe place. However, I know lots of other dogs that love the crate so maybe mine is the weirdo

Advertisement

Misskelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:03 PM   #12
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

We have the "ugly" wire crates, and I agree - they don't add much to the decor, but our dogs love them. They are required to sleep in them at night, but they have done that their whole lives, so they actually get up off the living room floor when it's late enough and head to their crates themselves. They also will go there mid-day for naps sometimes. We NEVER use a crate for punishment, and at first the dogs got a cookie for going in, but now they are happy to use them.

Now that we have a baby on the way, I'm glad they have their crates - I've read that dogs need a place to get away from the kids - but we'll have to make sure to teach the baby that the crates are not for babies to play in. They are for the dogs, and babies should not be allowed to take over the dog's personal space.

As for the ugliness factor, I've seen some really nice looking wooden crates online that are like coffee tables or end tables. I like them, but they are too expensive for our budget. If your husband is good at making things, though, there are definitely ways you can make crates look like nice pieces of furniture. Look up "crate end table" online or use pinterest to get classy looking ideas.

Good luck!
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:48 AM   #13
UnfluffyBunny
Registered Users

My Mood:

I train professionally and as another poster said, it's very difficult for most adult dogs to train them NOT to do something. They might learn not to do it when you're present, but could still do it when you aren't around. One of my own dogs we've had for 3 years now and she likes to find things to gnaw on. Now she generally goes for her own toys but once in a while may get interested in, say, a coaster or a dish towel. We still crate her as a just in case.

If you can borrow a crate from someone first to make sure your dog is okay with it, if suggest that. Some dogs will show increased anxiety in a crate and become more frantic. Other general tips:
- get or build a crate that is big enough for your dog to stand and turn around in. If you look at general sizes, I usually recommend even going up a size from what you need just to give a bit extra room for a comfy bed - as long as one of the issues isn't house training.
- leave it in a family area and leave it open when you're home.
- if your dog has favorite toys or special treats, toss them into the crate when you give them. Don't close the crate if they stay in to play or chew a toy, just praise them. If they pull it out to go chew it elsewhere that's fine you're just showing them that good stuff comes from the crate
-let it be a safe spot, if the dog is in the crate for example, tell your kids it's like her room and she relaxes in there, so let her be if she doesn't want to come out and play. Ie - don't bother her when she's in her crate of she chooses to go in and hang out

Check out Drs. Foster and Smith website for ideas on nicer looking crates if you want to build one!
UnfluffyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:25 AM   #14
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you so much!
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:42 PM   #15
Ldspeeddemon
Registered Users

I don't personally crate my dogs, but they do have a "safe room" in the house that they go to (e.g during fireworks last night). If you are going to crate a dog, you have to be sure to give it plenty of time out of the crate. I have dealt with people who leave their dogs in crates for excess of 12 hours. This to me is mean to the dog because they need to be able to run around.
Ldspeeddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:08 PM   #16
Chanzy720
Registered Users

I have always crated my dogs. Big or small, them having a private, quiet place when needed is so important for dogs. I have family who doesn't agree and leaves their labs out and about always. They have "lost" several couches this way. My small dogs have got into the garbage any time I have left them out.
Chanzy720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:38 AM   #17
kristinajura
Registered Users
seller

We have a crate for our dog in the living room (so he could see us& not feel isolated) as his safe zone. He hangs out in there a ton. We just leave the door open. It has a blanket over it to make it cozier and not so obviously a cage. And blankets inside. The only times he gets closed up in there is when the kids are being nutty & I need to make sure they don't get tempted to mess with him and also when we have people over that he isn't yet familiar with. If he is familiar with them and it's appropriate to, we put him in there for a bit while they are arriving and settling in or just tell him to go relax, door open, in there til we say it's ok to get out.
He sleeps in there on his own at night. No idea what he does when we're not home; we let him have free roam, but he doesn't ruin anything, so we assume he just is laying in his "house" waiting for us to get back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2017, 08:19 PM   #18
BusyPAMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinajura View Post
We have a crate for our dog in the living room (so he could see us& not feel isolated) as his safe zone. He hangs out in there a ton. We just leave the door open. It has a blanket over it to make it cozier and not so obviously a cage. And blankets inside. The only times he gets closed up in there is when the kids are being nutty & I need to make sure they don't get tempted to mess with him and also when we have people over that he isn't yet familiar with. If he is familiar with them and it's appropriate to, we put him in there for a bit while they are arriving and settling in or just tell him to go relax, door open, in there til we say it's ok to get out.
He sleeps in there on his own at night. No idea what he does when we're not home; we let him have free roam, but he doesn't ruin anything, so we assume he just is laying in his "house" waiting for us to get back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Our experience with the crate is very similar; our greyhound loves his crate. We generally only close him in there during human meals. The rest of the time, the door is open but he chooses to spend a large portion of his time hanging out in the crate, and often takes toys/stuffies in for company. He sleeps in there most of the day while we are out of the house, I know this because when we pull in the driveway we can see the top half of the crate through a window and he invariably stands up in the crate and stretches when he hears a car pull in.