Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2017, 01:32 PM   #1
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Breastfeeding Once a Day?

For reasons I won't go in to, several months ago my baby began refusing to breastfeed. He would only breastfeed overnight or early in the morning. At that time, I began (almost) exclusively pumping, with the exception of the once or twice he would nurse at night/early in the morning. He is now 8.5 months old, and if I continue to pump for 5-6 more weeks, I will have enough to get him to about 13 months. We have been fortunate not to have to use formula because I was able to keep to my supply up with pumping, but I honestly want to throw my pump out the window! I very much look forward to being done with pumping. However, I am happy to continue the nursing sessions that he will still do, as long as he continues to want to do them (especially with winter and cold season approaching!).

My question is this... he is at the point where he occasionally nurses overnight, but usually just nurses once early in the morning. Can I keep my supply just nursing that one time? Or will I still need to pump once during the day/evening? I have nursed my prior three in the mornings and nights (basically twice a day) at some point during our breastfeeding journey so I know I can keep up my supply with twice a day, but I'm not sure about once a day. I would really, really like to stop pumping altogether, but I will still pump once a day if that means keeping up my supply so that he can continue to breastfeed until he is done on his own. Anyone nurse or pump just once a day for an extended period of time?

Advertisement

Old 09-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #2
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Re: Breastfeeding Once a Day?

I did just once a day (right before bed) for about a month and a half (9.5 mos - 11 mos) and it seemed fine for a while, but I eventually ran out of milk. I think if you're down to that infrequently and you miss one nursing or he doesn't nurse well once or something that just ends it. Maybe there's something else to do to keep your milk up. I know at twice a day I had no problem at all, and I could even be somewhat flexible at those times. Could you maybe just go down to pumping once or twice a day and nursing once for a while? I'd decrease slowly and see how it holds up. Even pumping just once a day will help I think.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:36 AM   #3
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Thanks. I really have never had a goal of going much past a year, but knowing this is my last baby makes me want to hold on longer. Maybe I will continue to pump a little... I just want to be free of that thing so bad!!
Old 07-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #4
qiaraau
Registered Users

Yeah its possible to just breastfeed once a day, your body will adjust and will make enough for that feed. In time your baby will see it as part of your daily routine, its a nice calm way to end the day.

Another benefit is once you decide to stop completely your lo will happily drink from a bottle or cup so there will be less trouble.
qiaraau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #5
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've done once a day. Since you're really only doing it for comfort/bonding it doesn't really matter if you do lose supply.

Just make sure you don't quit pumping cold turkey and end up with mastitis. Gradually drop pumping sessions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qiaraau View Post

Another benefit is once you decide to stop completely your lo will happily drink from a bottle or cup so there will be less trouble.
You lost me, can you explain what you mean?
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote