Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-01-2011, 06:42 AM   #221
ym mama
Registered Users
seller

Subbing to hear more testimonials...

We have crazy hard water. I think my wash routine is destroying my dipes, so i'm definitely going to try this. But not until I get some Calgon and/or Borax. I'll update in a couple days...

Advertisement

ym mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #222
myk
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Anyone wash diapers in ONLY baking soda???

i haven't done this, but to answer some people's questions:

-if you have extremely hard water, it means that you have minerals, such as calcium or magnesium, dissolved in your water. this can react with soaps to create a nasty soap scum. water softeners bind with the dissolved calcium and magnesium ions to help prevent them from causing buildup, and allows everything to be washed out better. that's why people suggest water softeners.

-calgon powder in the US contains sodium sesquicarbonate, anhydrous sodium citrate, and a couple fillers. it is a water softener that is phosphate free.
-calgon powder in canada contains sodium sesquicarbonate and sodium tripolyphosphate. not sure why they still put phosphates in it here. it works great, for the record, but can't be good to use all the time because of the phosphates going into the waste water..
-washing soda is sodium carbonate. it is also a water softener. it is used in detergents (including rockin' green and tide) and other laundry products (such as oxy-clean).
-borax is sodium tetraborate. again, water softener.

all of them, when dissolved, bind with the free calcium and magnesium ions, thereby preventing them from binding with the soaps and detergents and causing soap scum buildup. which is why, if you have hard water, adding any of the above can produce better results. and also why different things would work for different people, as each person's water composition is a little bit different unless we're washing with distilled
myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #223
ym mama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk
i haven't done this, but to answer some people's questions:

-if you have extremely hard water, it means that you have minerals, such as calcium or magnesium, dissolved in your water. this can react with soaps to create a nasty soap scum. water softeners bind with the dissolved calcium and magnesium ions to help prevent them from causing buildup, and allows everything to be washed out better. that's why people suggest water softeners.

-calgon powder in the US contains sodium sesquicarbonate, anhydrous sodium citrate, and a couple fillers. it is a water softener that is phosphate free.
-calgon powder in canada contains sodium sesquicarbonate and sodium tripolyphosphate. not sure why they still put phosphates in it here. it works great, for the record, but can't be good to use all the time because of the phosphates going into the waste water..
-washing soda is sodium carbonate. it is also a water softener. it is used in detergents (including rockin' green and tide) and other laundry products (such as oxy-clean).
-borax is sodium tetraborate. again, water softener.

all of them, when dissolved, bind with the free calcium and magnesium ions, thereby preventing them from binding with the soaps and detergents and causing soap scum buildup. which is why, if you have hard water, adding any of the above can produce better results. and also why different things would work for different people, as each person's water composition is a little bit different unless we're washing with distilled
Wow! Great reply. Thanks for taking the time to share such valuable info!!
ym mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #224
maieranne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bumping for any updates on longer term use of bs only washes????
Old 11-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #225
mommytoreanne
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ok I am not trying to be mean or rude but I know as of now I would not use just baking soda and I read borax is harsh. I use tide free why because it works for us ahd a splash of bleach my dd has such senstive skin I can't use most baby washs or the apple mango or something like that made by jonhson and johnsons and for wipes we have to use water so it can such at times I do wish I could just throw what ever in and oh to the line one is way to much soap I got so bad soap build up like with in a week.
So for the ones it works for great, And I have no clue what kind of water we have and our water company could not tell me
I have a baby butt in my lap and one long run on sencetice and miss spelled words lol
mommytoreanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #226
bogomomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthepickles View Post
Just out of curiosity... because I do and have been for about a year. I do a cold rinse with nothing, then a hot wash with 2 tablespoons of baking soda and another rinse. Sometimes I use Calgon and/or Oxyclean when I feel like tossing it in, but usually not. I do have a water softener that takes care of most of the "hardness" in our water, so it doesn't seem to affect it. I use dryer balls in the dryer, or sun the diapers on the line when it is nice outside (I live in Michigan.

I have never, ever had a problem with stink or stains on any of our diapers. Everything stays in great condition! Awhile ago, I read an article about how detergent of any kind is a total sham and waste of money. We switched to this wash routine, and use washing soda/borax in the dishwasher with a vinegar rinse. Most people think that I am crazy because I am not disinfecting my diapers... but neither are you unless you are using peroxide or bleach, which most detergents don't include.

I'm just curious if I am the only one? I love this routine and I save so much money (we use it on our clothes too!) The only thing I miss is a strong yummy smell like you get from fabric softener. Obviously, our clothes smell like nothing. Just clothes.

Anyone?
I realize this is a really old post, but had a couple questions. First, you said you use two tablespoons. What size load is that measurement for? I'll have anywhere from a mini to a super load of laundry and would like to adjust this according. And secondly, are you still using this method and would you still recommend? Lastly, what are your thoughts on using washing soda instead? Thanks!
bogomomma is offline   Reply With Quote