Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
passthepickles
Registered Users
Formerly: shannbannan
seller

My Mood:
Anyone wash diapers in ONLY baking soda???

Just out of curiosity... because I do and have been for about a year. I do a cold rinse with nothing, then a hot wash with 2 tablespoons of baking soda and another rinse. Sometimes I use Calgon and/or Oxyclean when I feel like tossing it in, but usually not. I do have a water softener that takes care of most of the "hardness" in our water, so it doesn't seem to affect it. I use dryer balls in the dryer, or sun the diapers on the line when it is nice outside (I live in Michigan.

I have never, ever had a problem with stink or stains on any of our diapers. Everything stays in great condition! Awhile ago, I read an article about how detergent of any kind is a total sham and waste of money. We switched to this wash routine, and use washing soda/borax in the dishwasher with a vinegar rinse. Most people think that I am crazy because I am not disinfecting my diapers... but neither are you unless you are using peroxide or bleach, which most detergents don't include.

I'm just curious if I am the only one? I love this routine and I save so much money (we use it on our clothes too!) The only thing I miss is a strong yummy smell like you get from fabric softener. Obviously, our clothes smell like nothing. Just clothes.

Anyone?

Advertisement

Last edited by passthepickles; 05-02-2011 at 08:40 PM.
passthepickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
mebl0901
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone wash diapers in ONLY baking soda???

Not me but I may think of converting! Glad to hear that it works for you!

I thought of trying an all natural cleaner for the dishwasher but heard that vinegar can leave a film on the dishes. I'm assuming you haven't had an issue with that? How much of each ingredient do you put in your dishwasher?
mebl0901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
passthepickles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just pre-make a big batch of half washing soda and half borax. I use about 1-2 tablespoons in the dishwasher's powder detergent dispenser, and fill the jet dry thing with vinegar. I have honestly never had a problem with film except when our water softener died. It's the hardness in your water that is responsible for not removing the film (or so the dishwasher guy said. Lol... ) Seems to work for us!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
whiteyacht
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Never heard of this. Interesting. We have a softener too, so I'm interested in your dishwasher recipe. I do add bleach with my detergent for dipes... I think I am too chicken to try just baking soda! But I'll think about it if others pipe in.
whiteyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
kathygriffin86
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was using baking soda to help with stink, then i had to strip one day and i fell in love with just dawn. Someone told me that it would hurt the washer to use dawn all the time,so i stopped and went back too my all free and clear. I dont like it....i have to use vinegar often to remove a stink. I might try just this for a while and see because it sounds interesting and alot cheaper! I make my own laundry soap out of washing soda and borax and bar soap for our regualar clothes so why not right?
kathygriffin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
passthepickles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathygriffin86 View Post
I was using baking soda to help with stink, then i had to strip one day and i fell in love with just dawn. Someone told me that it would hurt the washer to use dawn all the time,so i stopped and went back too my all free and clear. I dont like it....i have to use vinegar often to remove a stink. I might try just this for a while and see because it sounds interesting and alot cheaper! I make my own laundry soap out of washing soda and borax and bar soap for our regualar clothes so why not right?
I got nervous for awhile thinking DD's diapers weren't "clean" so I switched back to All F&C for about 2-3 weeks. Everything looked so dingy and nasty, and she stared getting a rash. Yuck. I switched back and I have never had an issue since! I do sometimes use vinegar in the rinse, but someone told me it was bad for the elastic in your diapers, so I don't do it often. I really don't notice a difference either way.

Last edited by passthepickles; 05-02-2011 at 09:04 PM.
passthepickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
countrylivinmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

CRAZY INTRIGUING! I am in the middle of my own washing woes (I have a current post about needing help with my Front Loader HE and SOFT water. Do you use an HE Frontloader? Why do you add borax to the dishes but not the laundry? And no stinkies or rashes for your babes???? WOW! I have a big box of Baking Soda in the cupboard and a load of dipes ready for washing tonight... HMMMMM! Convince me, please! My fingers are crossed in hopes you have a Frontloader!
Old 05-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
passthepickles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylivinmama View Post
CRAZY INTRIGUING! I am in the middle of my own washing woes (I have a current post about needing help with my Front Loader HE and SOFT water. Do you use an HE Frontloader? Why do you add borax to the dishes but not the laundry? And no stinkies or rashes for your babes???? WOW! I have a big box of Baking Soda in the cupboard and a load of dipes ready for washing tonight... HMMMMM! Convince me, please! My fingers are crossed in hopes you have a Frontloader!
I don't have a frontloader. I have a Whirlpool Imperial Sutper Capacity Plus. To be honest, I am not sure why we use different things in the dishwasher than in the clothes washer. It was a recipe I found online for the dishwasher, so we just went with it. Now I am wondering if plain baking soda would work there too???

Try it in your front loader! What is the worst that could happen? If it doesn't work, you aren't out anything!
Old 05-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
Mama_scoutski
Registered Users
seller

this is interesting! How would it do with an HE washer you think? I have hard water though.......
Mama_scoutski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #10
passthepickles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_scoutski View Post
this is interesting! How would it do with an HE washer you think? I have hard water though.......
I am not sure about the HE washer, but if I had hard water with my current machine, I would probably just add some Calgon to it. That is some amazing stuff. We had terribly hard water growing up, and my mom used Calgon and baking soda on our clothes (with a little Tide, though) and they were always super clean!