Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2017, 07:28 AM   #1
blueskywoman
Registered Users

Tips for EC from birth?

Hey! Brand new here and I mostly came for the diapers lol but since I have to make 6 posts before I can message, I figured this would be the place. I'm 37 weeks with my first and planning on doing EC from birth. Any tips from mamas who have been there?

Advertisement

blueskywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:25 PM   #2
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Tips for EC from birth?

I would recommend getting a book. I think the one I have is called Diaper Free, it's by Ingrid Bauer. It's really helpful. And keep your expectations low right at first. Focus on observing your baby and making your cueing sound when he/she eliminates, rather than trying to catch pees or poos at the beginning. When I EC with a newborn I don't bother with a potty, I just hold him/her against my chest or belly, facing out, holding under the thighs (knees up), and have him/her pee or poop into our bathroom sink...everything is water-soluble right at first anyway. I transition to a little potty when they can sit up.

Do you have any specific questions? Not sure how much you know, so I don't know exactly what to tell!
Old 10-24-2017, 04:55 PM   #3
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLlama View Post
I would recommend getting a book. I think the one I have is called Diaper Free, it's by Ingrid Bauer. It's really helpful. And keep your expectations low right at first. Focus on observing your baby and making your cueing sound when he/she eliminates, rather than trying to catch pees or poos at the beginning. When I EC with a newborn I don't bother with a potty, I just hold him/her against my chest or belly, facing out, holding under the thighs (knees up), and have him/her pee or poop into our bathroom sink...everything is water-soluble right at first anyway. I transition to a little potty when they can sit up.

Do you have any specific questions? Not sure how much you know, so I don't know exactly what to tell!
I remember the book helped me get a better idea of what EC looked like. I did part time EC (caught after naps and mornings) and being shocked by how quickly they caught on.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:39 PM   #4
Sallystardust
Registered Users

My son just turned six weeks old and we've only made a handful of attempts, we've been so overwhelmed by everything else! Plus it took us a while to feel confident holding him in the EC hold over the sink. Him gaining some neck strength helped. But the majority of times we've tried, he's gone! You gotta hang out a few minutes but it's worked! I think the times it's not were because he fussed before enough time had passed and so I set him down. But it's very encouraging! We haven't even tried the diaper free time for identifying cues yet.

Definitely check out a book!
Sallystardust is offline   Reply With Quote