Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #311
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: January 2019-New Year New chatter

Oh and I love the clothes and diapers!! Gorgeous! I might have to sew some baby clothes after all--finally broke down and bought some on sale from Carters, size 24 months because I want baby clothes that look like BABY clothes and most of my 24 months stuff is distinctly toddler-y. So got the clothes washed and on T today. They fit just right, but he's only 7 months and I don't know if I can find anything bigger that looks baby-y for the next year.

Advertisement

zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:00 PM   #312
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Hey, Jen, I'M "plain" and I second talla - there are so many flavors of mennonite, it's just hard to know what's ok. But, in my experience, almost everyone wears "normal" pjs/sleepers, sweatshirts/jackets, etc. If it looks like the ladies don't all wear the same style of dress, they probably don't have as strict of a uniform, and my guess would be that modesty would be the main thing, and little girl dresses would probably be fine, but don't quote me on that. Also, my very very very plain SIL doesn't dress her babies plain until they're beyond the infant stage, so if you're making smaller sizes, it might not matter anyway.

We had a big family event this weekend (my mom's extended family), and drove home through freezing rain and it was TERRIBLE. The roads were just sheets of ice and I was so sooo thankful DH was driving. I'm also so thankful to be home safely.

I'm sort of doing Ferber, the lite version. I'm not following him strictly, but I have noticed that ds2 prefers to lie down himself. Or at least screams less lying down than when I try to rock him. He doesn't seem, interested in the lovey, so I might put that aside until he's older like zeo suggested. I got the updated ferber book at the library and I haven't read much yet, so we'll see if I'm convinced by him or not. I have no problem rocking him, except he fights it and screams so bad and it frustrates me. He'll rub his eyes and show every sign of exhaustion and just fight me. Also, he was waking up like 6 times a night, and I was just nursing him every time because it seemed easier, but I can't handle that. Already, after a few days of ferber he's gone back to only waking once a night. And...that means I should be asleep now to make the best of it!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

ETA: hmmm it isn't Talla I second...now I don't know who/what i was thinking of!

Last edited by Elchorrito; 02-17-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:17 AM   #313
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Happy late birthday Cathy! I'm glad your family made it nice.

Theresa--I'm so sorry you didn't get your break and you have to come in last all the time. There have been a few occasions when the four youngest were really small and needy and I was overwhelmed that when DH came home I was like....I'm done. You're doing everything tonight. And I would leave--no where special, maybe just the store or even just sit in the car in peace. Ideally DH would step in before that, but everyone needs some time to regroup our catch their breath occasionally and I hope you get yours.

E--i was hoping you would chime in on the clothes because I thought you would be similar in style, so thank you! I'm glad the sleep issue seems to be getting a little better. Rachel never wanted rocked or held to sleep and she would fight like a bear and scream bloody murder if you tried.

I've never read about hanging rabbits in the coop but I have read you can put their poo on the garden without having to let it compost first.

Our church went ahead with the Valentine's banquet we had planned last night but the parking lot was still a sheet of ice. DH and I got 10 out of 10 questions correct, I think we are old and predictable, haha.

I had a lot of contractions yesterday evening and into the night and was starting to worry we were going to need to go in but they seemed to have settled down some now. My homebirth kit came in but I'd have to be three weeks further along to deliver at home and I'd be so sad if I didn't make it.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #314
Tshebby
Registered Users
seller

Happy Belated bday zeo! That day sounds so lovely.
Lilly fell sick yesterday and i am feeling like i am getting it also. STILL need to get to the store. We are out of kids motrin, food, and I need to get stuff for class tomorrow. I am being held hostage by a virus. Praying that DH is in a helpful mood and will watch the big girls so I can get to town.
Tshebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:40 AM   #315
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Happy belated birthday Chirpy and zetowski!

We would see Mennonites at the historical village and they did seem to range in style. They did cover their heads but some were more "modern" for lack of a better word.

I love all the colorful sewing projects. I really wish I was better at sewing.

I would have been frustrated if my dh showed up so late. I feel like just having a short bit of time to get things done on your own can be so helpful for keeping your sanity.

We had the worst coffee social after Mass yesterday that I'm close to just quitting. I hate to make a big fuss but things have to change. Maybe I'll start a thread for suggestions.

We had a young man over for dinner that I've known since he was a kid. He's grown up and preparing to leave and become a monk. I just had such a bittersweet feeling spending time with him. Time does really fly too quickly. I have to refrain from treating him like the child I remember.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2019, 03:00 PM   #316
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry you are sick there, T. We have a mild something going through here. Not a big deal, but there was a little fever, and I'm afraid the place we got it there was also a 2 week old baby, so I hope she's okay.

That's too bad coffee hour is turning into a bad thing, so sad. I saw your other thread, I'll read there. It is so strange seeing kids turn into adults.

I didn't know you were plain, E. Are you a particular denomination? How far plain are you (if that makes sense)? Just curious really. I've been drawn to plain dress and living for a while, well my whole life really, but only the last few years started making some changes and right now am wavering.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:24 PM   #317
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeotwoski View Post
Sorry you are sick there, T. We have a mild something going through here. Not a big deal, but there was a little fever, and I'm afraid the place we got it there was also a 2 week old baby, so I hope she's okay.

That's too bad coffee hour is turning into a bad thing, so sad. I saw your other thread, I'll read there. It is so strange seeing kids turn into adults.

I didn't know you were plain, E. Are you a particular denomination? How far plain are you (if that makes sense)? Just curious really. I've been drawn to plain dress and living for a while, well my whole life really, but only the last few years started making some changes and right now am wavering.
Wavering how? I am a brethren denomination. We have electricity and drive cars, but no TV or radio. We wear a strict uniform once members, but dress our kids as we wish, as long as it's modest and appropriate. I wear a dress with a cape and a head covering. DH wears broadfall pants.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:43 PM   #318
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I feel like my body is failing. :/ I've been having contractions more than I would like and some spotting. This is the first time I've ever had any symptoms of preterm labor (I'm 33 1/2 weeks) and it seems annoyingly stressful. As of right now I'm just on light duty and hoping things don't get worse.

How are all the sick kids/families doing?

Alga--that's such a bummer about the church social. It's a shame children aren't taught better, and guidance from others can help, but sometimes it feels like there isn't much that can be done.

Are you guys out enjoying warmer weather Chirpy? You've been quiet and I think you said it was fixing to warm up. We are in for more ice and snow tonight.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:21 PM   #319
Kelley76
Registered Users
seller

Hey all! I always have so much trouble keeping up with you girls. I need to try and read up morning and nightly. Other wise I feel to far behind. Thatís my new goal starting tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2019, 02:29 PM   #320
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Jen when was your last appointment? Tests for infection etc.

Kelley I agree! When I haven't checked for a couple days I have to have a big time window to read through it all or I'll run out of time to reply and forget to later. (This group is worth it though)

E I'll PM you.

We have a few more sick last night and today. Still just a cold, but the 3 littlest had trouble sleeping with the noses. I was *this* close to celebrating that my just turned 5 year old DID NOT GET CROUPY last night!!!! But now he's napping and barely hanging on...hoping he's better by tonight. They say most outgrow croup by age 5, and the last time he was sick he did croup but not so severely (big help that he is no longer completely terrified to go outside in the dark for cold air) and I thought we might be done. Maybe not quite.