Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
ReadingRenee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question about free and clear detergents

Do you think they are all about the same in terms of performance?

I am as usual on the great detergent hunt. I need a free and clear and Purex F&C which used to work so well in my TL does NOT work in my FL. The diapers get terrible ammonia. If I use more than my FL is in danger of oversudsing.

Is it worth it to try ALL free and clear or even Tide Free and clear or do you think I will get the same results as I get with Purex?

Im just so tired of spending money on detergent to have them not work. My laundry room is full of detergent rejects.

Anyone fail with Purex free and clear but successfully use another kind of free and clear?

Thanks!

Advertisement

ReadingRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Angel89411
Banned

Re: Question about free and clear detergents

I have heard great things about All F&C for CDs and that is what we are planning on using since we already use it. We have a FL and they make an HE detergent. I have been able to fill it to the max line on my machine without any problems.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
DKnightSkye
Registered Users
seller

Unless you have access to the military version of ALL F & C it's not really recommended for cloth dipes. It will likely work fine for a while, but overtime you get build up/issues that stripping tends to not quite fix. I ended up having to bleach my inserts after using ALL for about a year with DS2. And then the problems came back in less than a month.

These two links will take you to charts that rate many detergents:
http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm

http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

Ecos Free and Clear is supposed to be pretty good. Not sure where to get it, I found the scented kind (not so good) at Sam's though so maybe Walmart has the F&C kind?
Old 07-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

I haven't had issues with All Free liquid. I've been washing in it for 11 years now & still have & use fitteds I bought 11 years ago. I've never had build up & never needed to strip anything. I think a lot depends also on your water, washing machine & diaper fabric.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
*LizziesLoops*
Registered Users
Formerly: angelami4
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've used both Purex and All F&C and I like All F&C much better. Purex has a LOT of suds in comparison to All. I used the liquid because I've never been a big fan of powder detergents. I did a hot load with bleach once every other month though with our inserts. It was more preventive than anything else. How well the F&C detergents work depends on your water type though. We have average water here (county water) but my dad's (city water) is slightly harder. I haven't had to run as many bleach washes since we moved out here I've noticed. Recently, I started making my own detergent though. I mix Arm & Hammer Washing soda, Borax, and Oxiclean Versitale Free in equal parts and use a very small scoop from a previous tub of Sun Oxy...Usually I put 1/4 scoop of the detergent mix in for the prewash and 1 to 1 1/2 scoops of detergent mix in the hot wash with some TTO and then an extra rinse with nothing added. It works well, my diapers (and clothes!) smell great...no ammonia!
Old 07-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
ReadingRenee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the reply's.

PP hearing your story about purex having lots of suds and ALL not having tons of suds really makes me want to try all. I used it on my clothes for years and only stopped when I started to CD.

We have moderate water here. Maybe if the ALL is a failure I will check out homemade detergent. I have all the ingredients on hand except for washing soda.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
mama to 2 boyz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just used Tide FC HE tonight liquid for the first time it was on sale.......I don;t like that original tide switched to ultra now it seemed to work good but I did do an extra wash/rinse just to make sure everything was washed out
Old 07-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
ReadingRenee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks mama!

I used regular Tide but it gave DD rashes. I have wanted to try free and clear tide but now everything is Ultra so I have been hesitant. And its only in liquid HE but that is not a deal breaker depending on how it works.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
heatherae
Registered Users

My husband and I did a lot of research looking into detergents. We have a FL. We looked at the detergent charts mentioned earlier but all at consumer reports which rated some of them on cleaning performance. Most recommendations reviewed did not do well on CR because of the lack of enzymes. Our compromise is to use Vaska which we get at target. It got better reviews on both than anything else. BUT most of the CD recomndations are not mainstream enough to have been reviewed by CR. I don't know if this is helpful or not, just throwing in the tiny bit I know...
heatherae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:18 PM   #10
silvermaille
Registered Users
seller

My clothes and dipes never got clean with All F&C. I contacted one of the dipe-selling businesses about the ammonia stink and they said All F&C is notorious for that.

Married to DH for 18 years, Mom to a little miracle queen bee (3/10)
silvermaille is offline   Reply With Quote