Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
trellisaze
Registered Users
seller

Diaper pails

Forgive me if this has been covered before, but I'm not really finding much when I search the forum.

What do you recommend for using as a diaper pail, when cloth diapering? Do you put anything in it to help with the smell? I am new at this - baby bean isn't born yet - and so far plan to dry pail, and wash at least every other day. If we have issues I may consider a wet pail and not totally sure about rinsing yet. We are also going to use cloth wipes, and I plan to EBF. Is there a specific pail liner you recommend? Do I need to get a fancy "diaper pail" or will a lidded trash can work? I have read that metal is better for plastic for the smells, just wondering what works for you ladies.

thank you!

Advertisement

trellisaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Diaper pails

We use an Ikea "bin with lid" and a big purple Bummis waterproof bag. The bag fits snuggly, and we fill it up and do washes every 3-5 days. Having a second waterproof bag is awesome, so we just pull one bag out to take to the laundry, wipe the lid and any exposed surface with a cloth and vinegar (throwing that in the laundry bag), then add the fresh purple bag for the next round. Never had the smell become overpowering with this system (and I'm pg and super sensitive).
MsGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
nasladybug
Registered Users
seller

Location: foothills of the Appalachian Moutains - North Georgia
My Mood:

I prefer wetbags to a pail and have never had an issue with smell.

We Jesus!
nasladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
Stoffmaus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used to use a bucket from Menards with a lid, and just cleaned the bucket out when I washed the diapers. We now have 2 in diapers, so the bucket isn't big enough, and the smell when you opened the lid was just yucky. I now use a blueberry wetbag inside a plastic trashbin with a lose lid. I have it right by the wash machine, and it doesn't smell bad down there. I do wash my diapers every 2-3 days, and I just pull out the wetbag and wash it as well. I do have a second bag I put in while the other washes.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
yellowdog
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use a wetbag to line a 13 gallon trash bag. I love my pail liners from 529 Baby on Hyena Cart (well made, good price, quick shipping, and great customer service). Sometimes I'll sprinkle some baking powder in the bag for smells but overall I haven't *really* needed to do that. I wash every other day.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
trellisaze
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the input so far everyone! much appreciated! Please keep the suggestions coming
trellisaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
romansmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

We use a Fuzzibunz hanging wetbag that loops around a doorknob or dresser drawer knob. It has no closure at the top & unzips from the bottom which is convenient when dumping into the washer. We wash every 2-2.5 days & have zero stink issues. We now have 3 of the same ones and rotate on wash day so we always have 1 in use, 1 being washed or hanging to dry, and a spare just in case I especially like that it doesn't take up limited floor space and DS can't push or pull it over onto himself.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
Xanders
Registered Users
seller

I use a standard kitchen trash can (an old one that we had stopped using) and a pail liner. You could even get a hanging wet bag and just use that or have the wet bag in a place you'd like to change diapers (i.e., where you aren't keeping your pail) and dump them in the pail when you get a chance. I rarely have a smell unless there are diapers completely covered at the very bottom. I keep an open pail.
Xanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
2girlsandacat
Registered Users
Formerly: khailas_mom

My Mood:

i was wondering about this too! newbie as well

the wetbags are just plain PUL right? dont they peel off (the laminate) easily when thrown in the wash just like that?

im leaning towards dry pails as well since it seems less messy. i dont even know how to start wet ones. anyone here use that method?

also, i read about the baking soda thing. got mixed opinions about it. might try it out too.
2girlsandacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #10
lalaura
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I honestly can't see myself spending a ton of $$ on pail liners so I was using a small trash can and I just upgraded to...

a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket. HEY, IT WORKS! I just wash it every time I wash diapers

Proud SAHM to 2 beautiful girls J (03/11/07) and Z (01/18/10)
lalaura is offline   Reply With Quote