Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
Addicted2Chocolate
Registered Users
seller
seller

Packing a hospital bag....

What does everyone pack in their hospital bag. It's been almost 10 years since I had a c-section and I ended up over packing diapers and clothing when our last was born, it was a pain to haul it out to my van.

I read on here that a standard stay is 3-4 days. I'm leaning towards staying as long as possible just to rest and recover before I have to go home and clean house and care for 4 kids.

Would it be a good idea to pack a "back up" bag with extra diapers, clothes (for me and baby), ect... And leave it at home just in case? I'm hoping to pack light from the get go in just 1 small suitcase.

I also have to pack my own food, how long do they make you wait before letting you eat?

I only got to eat a couple times after my v-bac and a 2 day stay three years ago due to my food allergies and limited menu selection. Now I'm following a diabetic diet too so I am hedging my bet that they won't be able to accommodate my strictly Gluten free, Dairy free, diabetic diet at this MUCH smaller hospital. Well, not unless I want to dine on plain veggies, meat and water for a couple days.

Advertisement

Addicted2Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
aml1676
Registered Users

Re: Packing a hospital bag....

I packed like I was going to stay at a motel with few amenities😉 I took a couple pairs of stretchy pants and a couple of v-neck shirts in case I felt like wearing my own clothes, and also a couple pairs of pj's. I ended up staying in hospital gowns until about 36 hours post-op, which is when I showered and put on my jammies... so much more comfy! I didn't take anything for baby other than going home outfits (2 sizes)... the hospital provided everything else I needed for her. Toiletries for me, including my own pads. I also took my own bath towels, which was very smart... unless you prefer to dry with a scratchy postage stamp!

I wasn't allowed to eat until about 12 hours post-op, but only because the anesthesia made me vomit. As soon as I could keep food down they let me have something solid... it happened to be breakfast time, and scrambled eggs have never tasted better.

All in all, I had 3 bags: a small rolling suitcase, a backpack, and the baby bag. I also took my own pillows; 4, in total, which we were able to moosh into a giant lawn & leaf bag. Oh, and my camera bag, which I totally could have left at home.
aml1676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
imnotacodfish
Registered Users
seller

I use mostly what the hospital provides. I bring my face wash and lotion, toothbrush and toothpaste, but use their soap, towels, pads, and MASSIVE underwear. I bring a nightgown with a robe for when they make me "walk the halls", and nursing bras. I bring newborn jammies for cute photos with family, but I use the sposies they give us for the baby. This time I'm bringing a bunch of stuff to do (books, journal, etc) because I don't want to pay for tv service. Both cameras (photo and video) of course! Everything I bring packs into a rolling carry-on.

After my first there was the whole "no solids until you pass gas" rule. Then when my second was born 5 years ago they wheeled in a full dinner as soon as I got to my room. They said there was actually no truth to the theory that you couldn't have solids right after. Awesome. All those days of Jello... Getting to eat right after really helped with my nausea. The pain meds make me so sick.

My hospital rule is a 96 hour stay after delivery. I bet if you talked to your doctor about your dietary needs they could tell you how long they plan to keep you so that you can know how much food to pack. Also if you would have access to a refrigerator. Mine had no problem with food being brought in. DH brought pizza one night. It was the greatest meal I've ever eaten!
imnotacodfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:20 PM   #4
Addicted2Chocolate
Registered Users
seller
seller

THANKYOU! So helpful. This will definitely help, and I'll be sure to talk to my doctor about how long a stay is standard to her.

And hooray for the stupid no eating rules. I distinctly remember ordering a grilled cheese sandwich in the middle of the night after my first was born and yeah, best grilled cheese ever, with my c-section I don't think i ate for 2 full days.

All 3 of our previous children were born in WA in big hospitals and this one will be born in TX so I'm a little freaked out about that and the whole tiny local hospital thing.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
imnotacodfish
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, they kept wheeling the cart in and I could smell the real food and I would get my tray of Jello and Italian ice.
imnotacodfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #6
Addicted2Chocolate
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotacodfish
Yeah, they kept wheeling the cart in and I could smell the real food and I would get my tray of Jello and Italian ice.
That's just mean. Lol.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:16 PM   #7
emceejee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Stretchy pants and tank tops! I made sure to pack maternity jeans, because they're stretchy but make you feel human.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:03 AM   #8
Jomama2005
Registered Users
seller

I didn't get a c/s but I did make a memo in my phone of a running list of what to pack (I was hospitalized 3 times for preterm labor so I got tons of practice x-/)

-Chap stick
-Rubber bands
-Clips
-Yoga pants
-2 Tops
-socks
-glasses case
-Cardigan/ sweater
-sleep Nursing bra
-Nursing gown
-Q-tips
-Phone charger
-Belly bandit
-Shorts
-face wipes/ wash
-Light robe
Nipple butter
Sm Coconut oil jar (I use as make up remover)
Snacks (food took 60-90min to order)

Baby:
-Warm footies
-Light footies
-Soft bankets
-Socks
-hat
-scratch mitts (not really needed)

Add when ur on the way to the hospital:
Glasses or contacts
Deodorant
Optional:
Makeup bag
Shampoo/ conditioner

ISO: size small pocket diapers (10-17lb range), girly PUL, hello kitty fabric, muslin swaddle blankets.
IHA: Crunchy kissa size 0, poly fleece, girly/ gn baby legs, maternity clothes size medium/ large, bamboo belly bandit (small), gdiapers and pouches, osocozy size 1 prefolds, FABRIC, heavy and light weight interfacing.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry if any are repeats!

Nursing pads

House shoes

Robe, that covers your bottom for the fancy hospital gown!

Extra clothes that are yours!

Change for the vending machine for hubby

Lotion

Shampoo and soap

Bigger the normal undies...usually briefs or granny style to go over incision.

Your own big pads...to change into after you stop bleeding tons those big ones are like diapers!

Socks

Your own pillow

Something to put baby's first footprints on.

Insurance card

Hair stuff

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
Old 07-24-2014, 09:14 PM   #10
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I just packed mine!

For me (VBAC)...I went home in 2 days. stayed in the gown for the first day.
Sports Bra and swim skirt (water birth and I prefer to be somewhat covered during labor)
Towel
1 Nursing Bra
1 Nursing Tank
Supplemental Nursing system
Yoga Pants
15ish pairs of undies? I ended up going through a ton between walking the halls (with a small leak) and the aftermath
hair tie
Brush
Chapstick
kleenex
phone
camera
chargers
snacks for during and after birth (usually crackers, beef jerky, almonds, etc.. stuff that stores and is easy to eat)
water bottle juice packets
Small shampoo/conditioner in 1
tooth brush
bathroom wipes
Pillow

For my C/S...I was there for 5 days. stayed in the gown for the first 2
Towel
2 Nursing Bra
3 Nursing Tank
Supplemental Nursing System
3 pairs yoga pants
7ish pairs of undies? I wore the mesh ones for the first 3 days, but still ended up going through alot the last 2 days.
hair tie
Brush
Chapstick
kleenex
phone
camera
chargers
snacks for after birth (usually crackers, beef jerky, almonds, etc.. stuff that stores and is easy to eat)...DH also brought me food each day.
water bottle juice packets
shampoo conditioner in one
toothbrush
bathroom wipes
pillow

For baby:
2 outfits
1 blanket

DH is responsible for bringing me extra food each day and also the colostrum I have been hand expressing / freezing for the baby. I have breast hypoplasia, and do not have sufficient glandular tissue to EBF...so I express starting at 34weeks to at least delay formula for a couple days.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote