Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-16-2014, 11:29 PM   #11
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: C-section or Vbac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerventlyDreaming View Post
Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and thoughts with me. I truly appreciate all the input!

I Idid speak to another doctor. She wasn't quite so dramatic. She did however say the risks were greatly increases. Should I get pregnant again I would be very closely monitored and would not be allowed to go past 37 weeks. Since 2 out of 3 of my kids were big babies (one 10 1/2 lbs) it might be even sooner. Unfortunately, one of the issues that greatly increase the risks for baby and me also make conception very difficult.

So sorry about the news of that having another baby would be so risky. Did you seek a second opinion? I always wanted a big family too and we will be lucky to have two surviving children. Definitely not the family size of my dreams but sometimes we just have to find a way to live with what is dealt to us I guess. There are plenty of people who would say I shouldn't be trying again but I couldn't live the rest of my life not knowing if I could have one more. I did consult a leading high risk Dr though who said it was still reasonable to expect a good outcome. If he had said no I don't think I would have done it. I would have been crushed though.

You hit my thought process exactly. I feel like if I will have more choice if I plan a c-section. If I try a vbac I think there is a good chance they are going to want me to give up quickly for fear of exasperating my issues. If I just do the c-section maybe I can get some options of holding baby with free arms or skin to skin. Whatever they are willing to allow. I also want my sister in the OR to take pictures as well as my husband. I am hoping they will allow it but I know if I have an emergency c-section I wouldn't get that.

Advertisement

qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:02 AM   #12
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Planned c-section in a heartbeat. You have medically complex pregnancies & deliveries. I, personally, would want the method that gave the most control. I wouldn't want to not be able to make it to my planned hospital or the other w/ the Level III when I went in to labor. A c-section also gives your doctor more control. In a complicated delivery, that's not a small thing. As I understand, the recovery from a planned c/s is better than emergency. I had a planned w/ my twins & don't have a complaint. They did skin-to skin briefly in the ER, then took the babies away w/ DP while they stitched me up. It took 5-6 days for my milk to come in, so they got formula at the hospitalbut I dont have any formula hangups & we went on to bf for over a year now. My only real recommendation would be that if you have a choice, make sure you're delivering w/ a skilled surgeon. I went to a group practice & chose the doctor w/ extensive training in surgical techniques...the guy had a terrible bedside manner & so did his assisting OB, but both are great surgeons & all my aftercare was done by the hospital nurses & the OB on rotation anyway. I had no complications & a relatively easy recovery.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #13
5Roadies
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had a c/s with my twins (was planned due to breech/transverse presentation, but went into labor a few days before the scheduled date). I had a VBAC with my singleton. I was glad to have the labor/vag birth experience with my daughter, but I wouldn't risk either of our lives over it. I am happy that I have had safe and uncomplicated deliveries, no matter how they came out.

Also, my OB is one of the few in our area who does VBACs, and he said the would not do an induction, because pitocin causes an increased risk of uterine rupture at the previous c/s scar. So I would guess that unless you are in labor on your own, your doc would be hesitant to do a full induction for a VBAC (mine said he would augment with "light pitocin" if needed).
5Roadies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:07 PM   #14
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
Im sorry. It is so terrible to not have the family you want to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
Planned c-section in a heartbeat. You have medically complex pregnancies & deliveries. I, personally, would want the method that gave the most control. I wouldn't want to not be able to make it to my planned hospital or the other w/ the Level III when I went in to labor. A c-section also gives your doctor more control. In a complicated delivery, that's not a small thing. As I understand, the recovery from a planned c/s is better than emergency. I had a planned w/ my twins & don't have a complaint. They did skin-to skin briefly in the ER, then took the babies away w/ DP while they stitched me up. It took 5-6 days for my milk to come in, so they got formula at the hospitalbut I dont have any formula hangups & we went on to bf for over a year now. My only real recommendation would be that if you have a choice, make sure you're delivering w/ a skilled surgeon. I went to a group practice & chose the doctor w/ extensive training in surgical techniques...the guy had a terrible bedside manner & so did his assisting OB, but both are great surgeons & all my aftercare was done by the hospital nurses & the OB on rotation anyway. I had no complications & a relatively easy recovery.
Even with my vaginal birth I did not get to breast feed right away or do skin to skin. So in that sense it wont be much different and might be even better. I only saw DS for a few minutes after he was born and than didnt see him again until the next day. I just pumped every two hours and my milk came in after a few days. We had to use a nipple shield for a month or so but we got there and it wasn't too terrible. If breastfeeding went the same again I wouldnt be too sad about it. I still got to BF for 14 months and that was great give all the other issues we had during pregnancy and delivery.

I am very nervous about the Dr that will do my c-section. I am going to a huge university hospital this time and there are a ton of Drs. I have been to three appointments and have had three different Drs. I will be having a cerclage and I wont even know who is doing it until the day of. I will have to ask if I can get a specific Dr for c-section but I am pretty sure the answer will be whoever is on the schedule that day. I HATE this! I dont even know what to ask to ensure I am getting a good Dr under these circumstances. I mean its generally assumed all Drs at this hospital are good but it all makes me very uneasy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Roadies View Post
I had a c/s with my twins (was planned due to breech/transverse presentation, but went into labor a few days before the scheduled date). I had a VBAC with my singleton. I was glad to have the labor/vag birth experience with my daughter, but I wouldn't risk either of our lives over it. I am happy that I have had safe and uncomplicated deliveries, no matter how they came out.

Also, my OB is one of the few in our area who does VBACs, and he said the would not do an induction, because pitocin causes an increased risk of uterine rupture at the previous c/s scar. So I would guess that unless you are in labor on your own, your doc would be hesitant to do a full induction for a VBAC (mine said he would augment with "light pitocin" if needed).
Yeah have heard no VBAC w/ induction but they said they would give it a trial run. I remember what induction was like though and it doesn't seem very controlled. They just keep upping the meds until I was having super intense contractions and baby came fast once they upped it the last time. I can see how that could be bad with a VBAC. Its just so intense so quickly. If I could just safely to into labor on naturally I would def be doing a VBAC but thats not my reality.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:14 AM   #15
kodiak1704
Registered Users

Hello! I'm about to have my 5th C-section and I feel that you should do whatever is safest for you baby. In your case I think that would be to do the c-section. While it is painful, I agree with the others that it's a lot less complicated than if you had to have an emergency c-section. I had one emergency c-section and compared to the planned ones it was a lot more difficult to recover from. I know how scary this can be for you but when you decide before hand it helps you to gain a little control of the situation. I wish you luck with your delivery and I pray that you have a healthy, happy baby!
kodiak1704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:20 AM   #16
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerventlyDreaming View Post
I am very nervous about the Dr that will do my c-section. I am going to a huge university hospital this time and there are a ton of Drs. I have been to three appointments and have had three different Drs. I will be having a cerclage and I wont even know who is doing it until the day of. I will have to ask if I can get a specific Dr for c-section but I am pretty sure the answer will be whoever is on the schedule that day. I HATE this! I dont even know what to ask to ensure I am getting a good Dr under these circumstances. I mean its generally assumed all Drs at this hospital are good but it all makes me very uneasy!.
I moved & started at a new practice at 27wks. It's a small city hospital & they have only 1 group practiced that handles all the obstetrics there. I had to schedule my section based on the OR rotation...since the doc I wanted has OR time on Thursdays, that's the day I had to go. If I had wanted a different doc, it would have been a different day. B/c of the limitations of the hospital (no NICU) & their policy, I couldn't schedule until 38 wks, but it didnt matter to anybody but me whether I went at 38+0 w/ Dr. A, 38+1 w/ Dr. B, or 38+2 w/ Dr. C, kwim? If I had gone into labor prior to that, I would have gotten whoever was on call, though.