Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Two story house

When I had my son we still lived in our first house and it was one story, 1350 sq feet. Totally do-able to move around. We just sold that one and bought a larger house in May and it's two stories. A friend at one of my son's classes told me I need to be ready to camp out on one floor for pretty much the whole day because it's really painful to go up and down stairs the first two weeks. Did you find this to be true? I can't recall ever really going down or up and stairs when I came home with my son I just want to be mentally prepared and have stuff concentrated to one story if I need to. I'm not due til late April.

Advertisement

Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I am one of those freak people who recovers from surgery extraordinarily well, so my experience is probably not the same as the average person. We don't have stairs in our house, but within a week of DS1 being born, we visited my parents and I was walking up their stairs. It wasn't easy per se, but it was doable. I'd probably avoid excessive trips up and down the stairs, but I don't think its impossible.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yep my doc said I could only go upstairs once a day so everything had to be on the main level. Anything for baby and you on the main level.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Two story house

My first week was moderately rough & I was glad that our living space is all on one floor. That said, we live on the second floor & we have a long staircase to get upstairs. Within the first two weeks or so, I had 3 pedi appts, 2 ortho appts, & my own OB appt & DP was only able to stay home the week after we got home. No lie, the first week was rough, but I tried to push through w/ minimal meds (I liked NSAIDs better tan opates anyway). By week 2 I felt much better. My babies are 4 weeks today & I get an occasional twinbe, but I feel pretty good!
Old 12-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
ivparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had 5 c sections all in 2 story homes. I went up and down the stairs for all of them, no problem. For my first cs I think it hurt some for maybe the first week. for the other 4, the day I came home from the hospital I was fine. I wasn't running , but it didn't bother me.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
aries416
Registered Users
seller

Yep, it hurt. A lot.

I did pretty much stick to just doing stairs once a day with baby #1 and I think my healing was faster/easier. With #2, I didn't hold myself to the same restrictions and recovery took longer and was more painful.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I didn't have stairs with my first two but did with the third. I was up and down multiple times daily with the baby and didn't find it agonizing. I think by the second week I was carrying laundry from the basement up to the second story (Why? That was unnecessary and stupid!) and didn't suffer any adverse effects even doing that. I skipped most of the painkillers and only took ibuprofen at night, so it's not like I was just masking the pain.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Your Dr will tell you no stairs, so before having the baby, bring everything downstairs you will need and stay on the first floor for the first 2 weeks, then you should be just fine.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
Your Dr will tell you no stairs, so before having the baby, bring everything downstairs you will need and stay on the first floor for the first 2 weeks, then you should be just fine.
I'm really curious about how common that is. All my doctor ever told me was to stop doing something if it hurt. Maybe she doesn't like me very much.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
thealmightyme
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mine said nothing about stairs. I went up and down okay. It took a little while the first few days, then it was fine.
thealmightyme is offline   Reply With Quote