Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #1
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

C-section or Vbac

I am going to try to keep this short but I would like to know other views than my own and DH's.

The following are details that matter in this decision:

I have had two vaginal births. (First baby 21 week placental abruption, Second baby 35 week induction due to low fluid)

I had one c-section at 31 weeks in an effort to save baby. Her heart was failing and she would not have survived a vaginal birth.

Had C-section around 6pm as emergency. I was put under and woke up freaking out so they medicated me more. Dont remember anything much until the next morning.

Staples removed around 7am next morning and the incision opened back up. I spent the next day with them shoving gauze inside of my incision and taking it back out than repeating several times over. The absolute worst pain I have experienced and that is saying a lot. I have endured some pretty crazy medical stuff.

For this pregnancy we live further away from hospitals with a level III NICU. The closest is 1 hr and the hospital that I am receiving prenatal care and should deliver at is 2 hrs. The closest basic hospital is 30 minutes away but no real NICU to speak of. I doubt they could handle the complexities of my care or baby's

Unless I have a premature labor before I will be induced at 37 weeks. I have complex medical issues that mean I have no choice. I wish I could go longer but its not an option. My only living child was born at 35 weeks with an induction.

With all of these factors WWYD? What is your main focus for the decision? I really want to make the best choice for baby and I but it seems very complicated by all these factors. I have and will continue to talk it over with my Dr's but I need you ladies to add your opinions.

Advertisement

Old 12-09-2014, 11:54 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: C-section or Vbac

In your shoes I would probably go the c-section simply because a planned c-section has fewer complications than an emergency c-section.

Just saying my view is through glasses coated in fear. I have had 3 C-sections. All 3 were unplanned emergencies. 2 serious enough the outcome was uncertain. 1 serious enough they were preparing my husband for a dead infant. The 3rd although baby wasn't in such a serious situation he was still howing signs of problems. Waiting was not an option if we wanted a good outcome.

Maybe without that history I would have a different view on the matter.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

I am really feeling like a planned c-section is best but I feel sad at giving up the chance to have a vaginal birth. I am scared of the pain too but mostly I just want the chance to have a baby, hold it, and breastfeed right away. I know its only one moment and we will have many many more but its an important moment. I will give it up though if its whats best for baby. I also dont want to endure an unplanned c-section ever again. That was hell that I really dont want to endure again.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:31 PM   #4
AlexiaH
Registered Users
seller

C-section or Vbac

I'm a home birth mama and without a doubt I say do a scheduled c-section. Your life and your baby's life is so much more important than how baby gets here <3 I'm sorry for your losses and I pray this pregnancy goes well for you.
AlexiaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
xavibelle
Registered Users
seller

My first was an induction/failure to progress c section. I was given general anesthesia and didn't get to hold dd for hours. I would have liked to try vbac with #2 but md wouldn't consider it, and we've been through a lot together.
All of this to say I understand wanting a vbac, but in the end I would opt for a planned c section.
xavibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #6
Tshebby
Registered Users
seller

I would go for the csection. My first was an emergency csection due to heart decelerations and low fluid after 26 long laboring hours. All medical team members said she would not have survived to continue laboring. I wanted in my heart to try a VBAC but number two did not show signs of growth for the last month in the womb. There was concern for her safety. I cried the entire morning of my planned csection about the "loss" of my birth experience. Sweet baby girl is four months now and I do not regret a thing! Having a planned csection allowed me to make my hearts desire known to my medical team. Just moments after being born, she was brought to my chest for skin to skin. We had planned that I would have her with me as long as we both were doing well. I felt awesome afterward compared to my emergency section and was pretty "normal" by day four.
You will be in my thoughts!
Tshebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

I understand the desire for a v-back. I cried like a baby when my Obgyn told me I was not a v-bac candidate. After baby wound up being delivered a week earlier than his scheduled c-section date due to signs of distress I have even had a resident doctor tell me another pregnancy would positively kill both baby and me. A shock to me since I had always dreamed of a large family. No v-bac in my future. Very unlikely to ever have another baby in my future either.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #8
aliyahsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My first was an emergency C-section and 2nd and 3rd VBAC. Even though VBAC was so important to me while I was pregnant- after I had them I have not thought that much about how they got here. I'm just so thankful they are here and healthy. That is the most important thing. I hope you feel peace about whatever decision you make <3
Old 12-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #9
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and thoughts with me. I truly appreciate all the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I understand the desire for a v-back. I cried like a baby when my Obgyn told me I was not a v-bac candidate. After baby wound up being delivered a week earlier than his scheduled c-section date due to signs of distress I have even had a resident doctor tell me another pregnancy would positively kill both baby and me. A shock to me since I had always dreamed of a large family. No v-bac in my future. Very unlikely to ever have another baby in my future either.
So sorry about the news of that having another baby would be so risky. Did you seek a second opinion? I always wanted a big family too and we will be lucky to have two surviving children. Definitely not the family size of my dreams but sometimes we just have to find a way to live with what is dealt to us I guess. There are plenty of people who would say I shouldn't be trying again but I couldn't live the rest of my life not knowing if I could have one more. I did consult a leading high risk Dr though who said it was still reasonable to expect a good outcome. If he had said no I don't think I would have done it. I would have been crushed though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshebby View Post
I would go for the csection. My first was an emergency csection due to heart decelerations and low fluid after 26 long laboring hours. All medical team members said she would not have survived to continue laboring. I wanted in my heart to try a VBAC but number two did not show signs of growth for the last month in the womb. There was concern for her safety. I cried the entire morning of my planned csection about the "loss" of my birth experience. Sweet baby girl is four months now and I do not regret a thing! Having a planned csection allowed me to make my hearts desire known to my medical team. Just moments after being born, she was brought to my chest for skin to skin. We had planned that I would have her with me as long as we both were doing well. I felt awesome afterward compared to my emergency section and was pretty "normal" by day four.
You will be in my thoughts!
You hit my thought process exactly. I feel like if I will have more choice if I plan a c-section. If I try a vbac I think there is a good chance they are going to want me to give up quickly for fear of exasperating my issues. If I just do the c-section maybe I can get some options of holding baby with free arms or skin to skin. Whatever they are willing to allow. I also want my sister in the OR to take pictures as well as my husband. I am hoping they will allow it but I know if I have an emergency c-section I wouldn't get that.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #10
special.k.marie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerventlyDreaming View Post
I am going to try to keep this short but I would like to know other views than my own and DH's.

The following are details that matter in this decision:

I have had two vaginal births. (First baby 21 week placental abruption, Second baby 35 week induction due to low fluid)

I had one c-section at 31 weeks in an effort to save baby. Her heart was failing and she would not have survived a vaginal birth.

Had C-section around 6pm as emergency. I was put under and woke up freaking out so they medicated me more. Dont remember anything much until the next morning.

Staples removed around 7am next morning and the incision opened back up. I spent the next day with them shoving gauze inside of my incision and taking it back out than repeating several times over. The absolute worst pain I have experienced and that is saying a lot. I have endured some pretty crazy medical stuff.

For this pregnancy we live further away from hospitals with a level III NICU. The closest is 1 hr and the hospital that I am receiving prenatal care and should deliver at is 2 hrs. The closest basic hospital is 30 minutes away but no real NICU to speak of. I doubt they could handle the complexities of my care or baby's

Unless I have a premature labor before I will be induced at 37 weeks. I have complex medical issues that mean I have no choice. I wish I could go longer but its not an option. My only living child was born at 35 weeks with an induction.

With all of these factors WWYD? What is your main focus for the decision? I really want to make the best choice for baby and I but it seems very complicated by all these factors. I have and will continue to talk it over with my Dr's but I need you ladies to add your opinions.
I live at least 30 minutes from a hospital of any form, and 1 1/2 hours from one offering NICU.
My son was breech and a scheduled c section. When we first tried for our second child I had an early term miscarriage. Finally when I was pregnant with our daughter I hoped for a vbac. Due to the previous c section my only option for that was at the hospital 1 1/2 hours away. I had a consultation with a doctor there who said if I went into labor we could attempt it but due to the previous c section they would only do a soft induction if anything. (Break my water if I was dilated to 4 cm or more.)
That never happened. I had a sub chorionic hemorrhage, a low placenta, measured large the whole pregnancy and towards the end they said I had too much fluid. Despite the fact that I would have loved to avoid major surgery and the risks involved, I felt in the end it was safer than attempting a vbac so I had a 2nd scheduled c section.
Breastfeeding was challenging after surgery and I didn't get to hold my children for at least 30 minutes after they were born. But I am still here and both my children are healthy. In the end, that's all that really matters.

Looking for new earrings? Visit my etsy shop and use code DIAPERSWAPPERS20 for 20% off!
SPARKLY STRANDS
special.k.marie is offline   Reply With Quote