Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2016, 08:06 AM   #1
carlyq12
Registered Users

4 year old homeschooling questions

My ds will be turning 4 this upcoming October. I am thinking of starting homeschooling with him. What is required at this age for them to learn/know? I feel a bit of pressure from others around me (ie. grandparents comparing their friends child with ours as far as development goes...)

I am just wondering what is the best curriculum at this age? Or is it all fun? Do you start teaching them to read? Or is it just all play?

Advertisement

carlyq12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:05 AM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: 4 year old homeschooling questions

Follow their lead. If they are interested in learning to read, then start on it. If not, then wait. It is very easy to fall prey to the pressure of other adults (and ourselves, really). Children learn best when they are ready for what you are teaching.

At 4, we really didn't do anything unless a child was asking for it. Well, nothing formal. If they asked how to spell something, we'd spell it. If they asked why questions (and what 4 yr old doesn't?) we would try to find the answers. We would read books and watch videos that dealt with science and/or history. We worked on some foundation skills, such as problem solving, sequencing, etc. There are a lot of games out there that can be used to teach -- dominoes, Rack-O, Monopoly Jr, Sequence (we did the regular one, but they have junior versions), puzzles (not just jigsaw), etc.

There are workbooks out there if you want to try them, but they really are not necessary. Also, people are going to be comparing your kids no matter what you do. As hard as it is, try to not let them get to you. Homeschooled kids often do not learn things the same way or in the same order as public/private schooled kids. It doesn't mean you are doing something wrong or that there is something wrong with your child. It just means you are doing something different.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:11 AM   #3
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

If you want something for workbooks for reading we like Before the Code. Cheap and take very little time but yeah hands on learning is the best through play still at that age.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:14 AM   #4
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

4 years old is pre k.
In most every state that is not required by you of course can do whatever you want.
Pre k is letters, letter sounds, numbers and fine motor skills mostly.
Honestly there are many states that don't even require Kindergarten.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:10 PM   #5
abh5e8
Registered Users

Yeah.... In our state compulsory school begins when the child turns seven, so definitely nothing required of four year olds!
Old 09-05-2016, 07:41 PM   #6
oneproudmommy
Registered Users
seller

Agreed! My daughter is almost 4 so during school time we work on letters and letter sounds, basic math, beginning handwriting, and whatever else she's interested in (i.e. Butterflies, dinosaurs, space etc.). I definitely wouldn't push anything that they aren't ready for. They don't need to learn everything at once so just do a little at a time in a way that will keep your little one interested in learning more.
oneproudmommy is offline   Reply With Quote