Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2016, 04:49 AM   #1
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Homeschool in December? Chat thread

This month is going to be incredibly busy.

How are you balancing? How do you balance school and life during busy periods?

Advertisement

Old 11-30-2016, 12:13 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Homeschool in December? Chat thread

Life is not really any busier this time of year for us. Most of the things going on are going on during normal activity time, so it doesn't change much. We do have family coming in a couple weeks, though. They will only be here about a week, and we will probably try to double up on some work next week so we don't have to do so much while they are here.

As for life, well, I'm not sure how well I balance that ever, so nothing new there. lol

How many of us take a break like the public schools? We won't be. We will have some time off, but not a lot, especially with Christmas falling on a weekend.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:00 PM   #3
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi! I haven't posted in the HS chat threads before. I'm Billie. My DS is 5 and in kindergarten. I also have a DD who is almost 3.

I am currently having a really hard time balancing these busy weeks with school. I try to cover all the once or twice a week subjects, then just push the 3Rs to the next day or week if we are behind. It seems totally backwards, but since reading, writing, and math build on previously learned concepts I feel like it is easier to just pick up where we've left off vs. skipping speech therapy practice, singing songs, reading good books & poetry, FIAR, trips to the library and the park which are more experiential (sp?) and fun.

But whenever I have to skip something I feel so guilty, like we are falling behind. Last week we didn't do any work because I was sick then I cooked Thanksgiving for my extended family and us. This week my mom is moving and I have been trying to help her in the morning and do school in the afternoons, so I'm not getting what I want done. I feel like it's always something.
NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:49 PM   #4
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Life is not really any busier this time of year for us. Most of the things going on are going on during normal activity time, so it doesn't change much. We do have family coming in a couple weeks, though. They will only be here about a week, and we will probably try to double up on some work next week so we don't have to do so much while they are here.

As for life, well, I'm not sure how well I balance that ever, so nothing new there. lol

How many of us take a break like the public schools? We won't be. We will have some time off, but not a lot, especially with Christmas falling on a weekend.
We take a semi break. The kids have off from online courses so they like to just enjoy the time off but this year ds has work and and scholarships so his time off will be limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMommy6111 View Post
Hi! I haven't posted in the HS chat threads before. I'm Billie. My DS is 5 and in kindergarten. I also have a DD who is almost 3.

I am currently having a really hard time balancing these busy weeks with school. I try to cover all the once or twice a week subjects, then just push the 3Rs to the next day or week if we are behind. It seems totally backwards, but since reading, writing, and math build on previously learned concepts I feel like it is easier to just pick up where we've left off vs. skipping speech therapy practice, singing songs, reading good books & poetry, FIAR, trips to the library and the park which are more experiential (sp?) and fun.

But whenever I have to skip something I feel so guilty, like we are falling behind. Last week we didn't do any work because I was sick then I cooked Thanksgiving for my extended family and us. This week my mom is moving and I have been trying to help her in the morning and do school in the afternoons, so I'm not getting what I want done. I feel like it's always something.
:hi: Billie
We have been still going to special programs with a local playgroup even though one son has aged out. Like you I love to take the time for that experiential learning even if it means bumping a subject or two.

I'm thinking of doing a science intensive. I feel like we just haven't been on track with science but we could have so much fun if we just focused on it for two weeks and really took our time with each section.

But there is always something.