Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
placeboeffect
Registered Users

Are cloth diapers worth it at this point?

Is it worth getting a stash of cloth diapers for a 19 month old who is showing interest in potty training?

I had experimented with putting my 19 month old girl in cloth diapers because I was hoping it would help with some irritation she's been having. I thought it did help but it could have just been wishful thinking. Since the irritation had been going on for quite some time I took her back to the doc yesterday to make sure it wasn't something medical. The doc said it didn't look like a UTI or pinworms and that everything smelled fine, which is apparently how they determine if there is a "foreign body insertion." Importantly for this discussion, she also said she didn't really think that switching to cloth would help the irritation.

The thing is, during my trials with CDs I discovered some things about my girls shape. I discovered that she could have a better fit with some CDs than with disposables. She has a big belly but a very short rise and disposables cover and rub on her belly. The disposable is actually a little bulky between her legs since she has a very narrow crotch. I thought this was just how all diapers fit. Imagine my surprise that it's actually possible to get her diapers that fit her body.

So, is it worth experimenting with CDs to find the right ones that fit her properly with her strange shape? I really feel like it would be better for her and she would be more comfortable. But, I don't know how much use we'd get out of them since she's starting to show interest in potty training. The diapers that sound most promising are SoftBums, BottomBumpers, Mutts, or anything made on the La-Di-Da pattern. Are any of these good through potty training?

Part of me really want's to try these out but we are also pretty poor. Since we only have one income right now I'm not sure we can afford to invest in cloth. I know now it would've have been cheaper in the long run if we had started her in cloth. I feel pretty stupid that we didn't. But that boat has sailed. Should I just keep her in sposies through potty training? Or should I try out some of these CDs?

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

placeboeffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
Mama Marsh's Creations
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Are cloth diapers worth it at this point?

it may be a while til she is totally pt'ed (including nights) my older 2 didn't night trained until about 3yo (ds is still not totally night trained.) so it may be worth it to have a few especially at night. GL mama!

INTRODUCING THE NEW LINE! Regular candles, soy candles, and beeswax candles!
Mama Marsh's Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I PL my kids promptly at 24 months, and I would be tempted to but no I wouldn't unless you are planning on having another baby soon and you plan on buy OS diapers.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
KimA
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would say yes if you were planning on having another baby but not if she is an only child.
I wouldn't buy an entire stash though, maybe just a dozen and add from there as needed.
KimA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
ncfjj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think I would buy a few. Buy what you need. Nothing fancy, or just because it is cute. When you add up how much money you will be spending on the disposables that are irritating her so, versus how much money you will be spending on cloth that fits her right, and makes her more comfortable, I'd say there is still enough time to make it work your wild. Once she does start PLing, you can still use those diapers at night, as my 4 year old occassionally wets the bed still, but he's fully potty trained during the day.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
BigZsmommy
Registered Users
seller

I guess it depends, are you planning on having more kids? If so then why not because you'll have them for next time. Also you can always sell them on here if they don't work out or if you only use them for a while and won't lose out on all your money. Also if you buy used on here rather than buying them new that'll save you a bunch. I know there's a online store that you can "try" some before you pay.

http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/produ.../tryclothfor10

http://www.diaperdaisy.com/index.php...t_detail&p=374

http://www.diaperdaisy.com/index.php...t_detail&p=821 (can pick specific diapers)

http://www.momsmilkboutique.com/ClothDiaperTrial.html

http://www.sewcraftybaby.com/store/W.../Pickyouritems.

Here's a few to start with. I would highly recommend this at this stage in the game because it allows you to try many different brands and find the best fit for minimal cost. You could even do trials from a few different sites if you needed to. the best part is that these stores used to just give you store credit as the refund and now you just get your money back which means you can then buy diapers wherever you want once you know what you want. Good luck!
BigZsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
aLittleBouncingSoul
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The trial packages would be a good idea, and I wouldn't buy very many at this point.
aLittleBouncingSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
reese.piece
Registered Users

A friend of mine made the switch just as her DD was starting to PL. But she was only 16 months and tiny for her age, so there wasn't much in the way of regular underwear or disposable pull-ups. She started out buying 2 pull up style diapers and a couple different pockets to try for nighttime. Then once she figured out what worked, she sold what didn't, and bought a few more of what did. I think she might only have 6 daytime dipes and 2 nighttime ones - she just throws them in with whatever wash she has going next and uses sposies as needed.

She didn't buy anything pricey, and she found some of the dipes used on FSOT so that was even better. So it's still saving her money, even though this might be the only LO they use them for.

CJ's BUTTer
reese.piece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #9
placeboeffect
Registered Users

Thanks so much for the advice. Yeah, if I planned on having more it would be a no brainer, I would just go for it. We're not planning on having any more kids. I wouldn't mind but my husband says he's just enjoying this one right now and doesn't need another. The try 'em out seems like it would be a great option. Unfortunately none of these try 'em packages include the ones I want to try.

I'd love to get some here on FSOT but I'm pretty nervous about it. I don't feel like I know enough to make a good decision. Like, if I get one and it didn't work out for us was it because of the actual diaper or did I get one the had some hidden defect. I guess I don't have enough confidence in my knowledge to buy on FSOT.

Are there "pull up" type cloth diapers? Are the ones I'm interested in (SoftBums, BottomBumpers, Mutts) compatible with pt'ing?
placeboeffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #10
thinkingahead
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd consider something like motherease sandy's, you could get 6 (larges?) and a couple of dappi or bummis nylon pullon covers ($3-6 each) for easily less than $100. They would be great for naps or even night (with a doubler). They are side snap fitteds but pull on for training. You can probably find some on FSOT or craigslist. GADs pockets (Green Acre Designs) are another one I hear are good pull on/off/training diapers. Flats are cheap inserts.
thinkingahead is offline   Reply With Quote