Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
MacMama
Registered Users
Formerly: PaisleyandLaylasmommy
seller

My Mood:
Update post 7 ! Introducing myself so you'll know who keeps asking for help...

So..... I'm Heather, and I'm expecting my third baby in 2 1/2 weeks. I've never successfully breastfed for more than a couple of weeks, and it's something I am SO sad about, and determined to do this time. We're having an entirely different birth experience this time. My first 2 were at hospitals, this one is a planned homebirth, and I have an awesome midwife to help me this time. My mom is also staying with us to take care of my girls, so I can focus on breastfeeding. I also have a friend that made it through similar trials, so I'll have her for a resource (which I didn't have before)

But.... in the middle of the night if I'm having a really hard time I might need to vent/ask questions of you ladies, and I'm so thankful in advance for any help! My real challenges before in breastfeeding have been intense pain and cracked and bleeding nipples, as well as severe thrush. I have big babies who are powerful suckers, and I read all about breastfeeding (as well as had help from the semi-trained lactation consultants in the hospital) but it was just soooo painful. I think I have really sensitive nipples, so besides reading up on it some more, I made a couple of changes this time: First, I didn't use lanolin in my third trimester like I did with my other two. Instead, I've been expresing some breastmilk several times a day and letting it air-dry. Second, I bought wool breastpads instead of disposable to try to ward of thrush (and I won't be on antibiotics this time, so it should be less of a problem) Third, (and I know this isn't recommended) I've been rubbing my breasts/nipples with my hands (not a washcloth or anything rough) just to try to make them a LITTLE less sensitive, and it really seems like it's worked. At first I could barely touch them, and I had to cover them in the shower, but now I can rub them without much sensitivity at all, and the shower is fine. Don't worry, I was careful to be gentle, and not cause any harm that would make nursing worse.

So, after that novel, if anyone has any suggestions of what I can do for the last 2 or 3 weeks, or after Thatcher is born, I'm all ears! I'm sure I'll be frequenting this board soon!

Advertisement

Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs

Last edited by MacMama; 10-04-2009 at 08:04 PM.
MacMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Introducing myself so you'll know who keeps asking for help in a few weeks... :)

Def have someone check your latch when baby is first born so hopefully you can avoid cracked and bleeding nipples.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Introducing myself so you'll know who keeps asking for help in a few weeks... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mOmof3 View Post
Def have someone check your latch when baby is first born so hopefully you can avoid cracked and bleeding nipples.
I agree!

DS1 was on the only baby I had pain/bleeding/cracked nipples ... it was because he had a bad latch.

You can do it and everyone is here to help!
Old 09-20-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Hi, and welcome to breastfeeding support!! I'll be sure to notice any of your posts, because macmama is actually my screen name on another forum!

There are so many things about homebirth that are conducive to getting nursing off to a great start! You can get Thatcher latched on even before you've delivered the placenta. You won't have an IV to cause edema. No antibiotics to cause thrush. No inadvertent pacifier or bottle usage in the nursery. The list goes on and on! You're going to have a totally different experience this time around.
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
MacMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas! And yes, my midwife is going to be very sure my latch is correct the first few times to avoid any problems later.
Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs
Old 09-21-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
Dewberri
Registered Users
seller

and Congrats on your new LO!

I went through the whole bleeding, cracked... constant painful nursing with DD (my first - and only ) so I feel your pain!

I know it sounds super weird but my mom told me (after I confided in her about the problems I was having) that she took an old bra and cut the nipple area out of each cup so that she could wear it at home to desensitize her nipples!!

It's great that you will have someone you are comfortable with who can really help you hands on in those first few feedings.

Also, I love that you named your daughter Paisley!! I think that is just too cute!

My hobby: Fluff-n-Stuff -> Temp. on hold while I rebuild my stash for the newbie
Dewberri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #7
MacMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Update post ! Introducing myself so you'll know who keeps asking for help...

So... I had Thatcher on Tuesday, and things went as badly as they did with my first two. It pinched pretty badly from the start, then by 48 hours I was cracked and scabbed. I made an appointment with an IBCLC the next day, and she changed my latch just a little bit (I wasn't making him open up quite wide enough, and my nipple was too centered in his mouth instead of being at the top of it) The next day things were going great-- not much pain at all. Then my milk came in at about 36 hours, and my nipples got injured all over again. I called her again today, and she told me to depress the ariola around my nipple so I wouldn't be too swollen for him to get a good latch. It helped a lot, and I bought nipple shields so I could "air out" my nipples without being naked all of the time. They are fantastic-- now my nipples don't get smushed against my bra, and my scabs don't stick and peel off. They are slowly healing-- and my latch is pretty good-- if I'm very careful it is fairly pain-free on one side and only a little painful on the more injured side. My whole boobs are very sore from engorgment, but hopefully that will pass soon. I'm doing salt water soaks to speed healing... and I think that's all of the gory details. But on the bright side-- the last nursing session was my most comfortableone in the last 24 hours, and this is my 6th day nursing-- which is the longest I've ever made it!
Old 10-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
Oakleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: t***om
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Update post 7 ! Introducing myself so you'll know who keeps asking for help...

Keep hanging in there!!!
Oakleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #9
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

Re: Update post 7 ! Introducing myself so you'll know who keeps asking for help...

great job mama!
Old 10-05-2009, 07:38 AM   #10
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

That's great, MacMama! Hope you're having a good day today. Have you tried the biological nurturing position? It's awesome for getting a good wide-open mouth. There are two how-tos here: http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/Pages/howtodoit.html
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote