Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
Lydia'sMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile What are your best tips/tricks/pieces of advice/encouragement?

I'm sure this has been asked a bunch, but I feel like I am searching for a new boost of encouragement.

What have you learned that you can share about managing life in a large(ish) family?

We have 3, and although DH is content with stopping, I'd be very happy welcoming another one or two. Right now we are bursting at the seams of our TINY 2-bedroom home and are in the beginning stages of having the blessed opportunity of embarking on the journey to sell our home and upgrade to a larger property/house. This, of course, is taking a TON of time, energy, and money especially in the economy where we aren't going to be able to sell our home for what it's worth or in a comfortable time frame. So I am not surprised that it's the furthest thing for DH's mind right now. I also think it would offer new challenges if we were to need to add any other considerations or hurdles at this time. Which brings me to my question.........I really feel like IF the Lord where to change DH's heart and give us another baby sometime in the future I am, in the meantime, called to first pray continually, and second be faithful in the little things. For that, it means I am to work on drawing closer to God myself, and to work on getting better at managing and being a good steward of the blessings and gifts we already have. Meaning I'm looking for ways to be a better homemaker, wife, mother, homeschool teacher, cook, meal planner. How have you found to help you organize, stay on track, and complete all that needs to be done in your home? What has your journey looked like?

: mopping::grouphu g:

Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What are your best tips/tricks/pieces of advice/encouragement?

Managing our family of 6 takes $$$$$$$$. If we didn't have it we would not be a family of 6. More children = a lot more surprise expenses. I suggest finding an amazing financial planner, working as much as possible, & always looking for a new job that pays more.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark
Managing our family of 6 takes $$$$$$$$. If we didn't have it we would not be a family of 6. More children = a lot more surprise expenses. I suggest finding an amazing financial planner, working as much as possible, & always looking for a new job that pays more.
You just made me want birth control.
Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
meesh38
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark View Post
Wow, I guess we all have different perspectives on life! We are a family of 7 with another on the way and I can promise we have never talked to a financial planner. And I don't think I'd want to have a bunch of kids, only to work as much as possible.

As you add each kiddo, your lifestyle adjusts. You stop doing things you can't afford or that become too difficult and you start changing the way you do other things. It's really kind of an adventure! I like your attitude about being faithful with what you've been given. 3 kids is a lot! I'm sure you are doing a great job with them. I guess I don't really have any specific advice but good luck with everything!
Old 02-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
Lydia'sMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do have to say that although DH does most of the financial budgeting/planning/managing. I love him and respect him for all of the work that we've done so far with getting debt free and living within our means. He is very responsible and a great provider and I can't say that we've ever lacked for anything we needed NOR do I ever see us coming close. Yes, maybe we don't take vacations and maybe we live in a small home and maybe we do out to eat only with coupons and kids eat free nights and maybe we drive older vehicles. Financial concerns are not what I'm worried about.

What is kind of a mild culture shock to me is that I'm an only child, who's parents were divorced so there was rarely more than 2 people in my houses. So this whole, cooking for a group, and immense amounts of never-ending laundry and multiple car seats in our van and stuff is all new to me. I feel like I'm navigating virgin lands here. So far, I've found a great homeschool curriculum that is very easy to follow and requires very little prep time for me, that makes things easier. I also use workboxes for the 1st grader so she's learning to be an independent worker. I try to meal-plan ahead but frequently get caught up in the daily demands and behavior concerns and playtime of the day and forget to start dinner on time, or thought I thawed the meat and didn't. Or forgot that we're out of a crucial ingredient.

I try to keep a family binder for daily schedules and goals for house cleaning and such. I was just wondering if anyone had anything else that they've found works great for them.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well I believe money is a part of it but in a way were it is in order--if that makes sense.

Like I believe with the more children you have the more there needs to be a budget and the more there needs to be an emergancy fund and things of that nature.

That said we do not let money run our lives but we get that in order so it does not stress us or prevent us from our family or each other. So we have an open communication about things and we know what goes where and when. No financial planner for us just enjoying learning more and more about our finances together.

As for a family binder--we have one I got a downloadable one off of iheartorganizing and it has helped my scatter brain get focused. It is great for everything--groceries, inventory, babysitter notes, house maintenance and all the things in between that I never thought about. It also has an area for your budget and bills.

Although we will be a family of 6 soon (4 children) our home is not overrun by toys. We organize all our toys into categories so everything has a spot. Sometimes things are "open" that means they can play with them and sometimes things are "closed" they can not play with them until something else gets put away.

I would not call myself a minimilist but there is no cluuter in my house. The kids bedrooms have no toys in them but they are nicely done and look like kids rooms. I Like nice things but I do not like ALOT of things so we do not feel cluttered or overwhelmed. If things do not have a place it is time to downsize what we have. The house is so much easier to clean bc of this.

The kiddos taker care of there cleanup and to be honest if I put something back in the wrong place they let me know about it.

We have a loose schedule--dhs has somewhat of a stricter schedule (bc he has to bc he is very busy) He is very hands on. Our children go to school (pre-k) but we teach at home. I am a former teacher and dh is credits shy of his doctorate in education although that is not the field he is in. We teach all subjects at home and bc we were both athletes (me college dh pro) we teach sports at home as well--in a healthy lifestyle sort of way not a YOU GOT TO BE #1 sort of way LOL! They love it bc they are playing and so are we and it is just fun for all of us. The best is when I do yoga and I have all 3 kiddos doing it with me in downward facing dog. It is so ADORABLE.

For me there is always room for improvement. Nothin will always be perfect but if there is structure it is easier. Sometimes life happens but when things seem to be in order like -house and budget it is easier to deal with outside factors.

Hope my rambling helps.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
Lydia'sMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much for all your encouragement I love to hear how other moms do it. And thank you for the reminder of the toys. Until you mentioned it, I didn't realize how overrun our house had gotten from toys since the B-days/Christmas/Small holidays of the winter than Grandma just uses as excuses to spoil the kids. Today we're going to pair down the toys. If it doesn't fit or doesn't have a home, if there are multiples of something, or if it's been outgrown or moved past, then it's either going to live with the Grandparent that originally bought it for them or it's going to be given away. The kids know it's coming and DH is totally on board. Thank you