Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
newmommy929
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Need a breathable nighttime option...

So I think that I want to use a more breathable option for night time on my 15 month old. Currently I am using a OS FB with a tri-folded organic flip insert in it with another hemp insert on top of it. It holds his urine fine never completely soaked, but I am just thinking that a more breatable option at night time would be better for him and his skin.

So I am basically looking for more breathable options to use on him at night and thoiht this would be the best place to go. So what do you mamas use for diapers and covers that are more breathable. Please tell me your positive/negative experience with it. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
Formerly: Lilymomma
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need a breathable nighttime option...

WOOL! You could use a hemp or bamboo prefold or flat, or a fitted under a nice squishy soaker. That was ALL I could use when we were still using cloth at night when my ODD was 2.5. She had THE most sensitive skin with strong toddler pee that would burn her bum if she didn't have wool. PUL just was not breathable enough for her. If wool intimidates you, I would just give it a try. Caring for it is not that hard, and if you have, say, 3 night time woolies, you have one for his bum, one to be washing and one back-up in case you have an explosion over night or somthing like that.

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
find me on Facebook or Etsy
Whimsy Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
YiddleDoppers
Registered Users
Formerly: mama2lumpynoodles
seller

Another wool lover here! While I think wool works much better, I usually suggest fleece if you haven't "studied up" on wool. It's cheaper and not at all high-maintenence. Try one, then if you like it, spend the extra $$ for wool ... that's just my
Around our household, we like fitted diapers for overnight. I think cotton and bamboo are soft, work great, and don't have the stink issue and rough texture that hemp seems to get.
Good Luck, Mama!
"Mandie" wife to one awesome dude and Mama to a brood of active boys. Also the heart and hands behind Yiddle Doppers™ on HC and Y.Woman™ on Etsy. Looking for OOAK, rare and HTF items? Stalk us on Stalkerazzi Congo
YiddleDoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

We also use Flip organics in a cover. My favorite covers are Imse Vimse wool and Nikky cotton. They work pretty well and are breathable.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
ldsmom06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For a breathable option I always use a lana or aristocrats style wool diaper cover(pull on) with a organic cotton fitted( I use clovers but I don't think they make them anymore). I don't use a stay dry liner but that hasn't bothered any of my kids
Old 07-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
Ecomoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wool or fleece
Old 07-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you like pocket diapers, the there are three brands you might want to try b/c they have (or offer) breathable fleece outers instead of PUL. Fleece DryBees, breathable fleece or breathable minky Preston's Pants, or breathable fleece Green Acre Designs. I prefer fleece b/c handwashing really isn't my thing, but wool doesn't usually have to be washed too often (once every week or two...if you are on top of things LOL)

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
northknoxmomma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
If you like pocket diapers, the there are three brands you might want to try b/c they have (or offer) breathable fleece outers instead of PUL. Fleece DryBees, breathable fleece or breathable minky Preston's Pants, or breathable fleece Green Acre Designs. I prefer fleece b/c handwashing really isn't my thing, but wool doesn't usually have to be washed too often (once every week or two...if you are on top of things LOL)
ITA! I would love to use wool, but have a lanolin sensitivity and just can't make myself do the wash routine. My favorite is GAD fleece, but will also use Drybee's, but mildly tolerate velco, I lurv snaps!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #9
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northknoxmomma View Post
ITA! I would love to use wool, but have a lanolin sensitivity and just can't make myself do the wash routine. My favorite is GAD fleece, but will also use Drybee's, but mildly tolerate velco, I lurv snaps!
Have you tried breathable minky Preston's Pants? They have snaps and I think the fit is trimmer than GADs (though I really love both).

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
newmommy929
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilymomma View Post
WOOL! You could use a hemp or bamboo prefold or flat, or a fitted under a nice squishy soaker. That was ALL I could use when we were still using cloth at night when my ODD was 2.5. She had THE most sensitive skin with strong toddler pee that would burn her bum if she didn't have wool. PUL just was not breathable enough for her. If wool intimidates you, I would just give it a try. Caring for it is not that hard, and if you have, say, 3 night time woolies, you have one for his bum, one to be washing and one back-up in case you have an explosion over night or somthing like that.
What brand of wool is good to use? Also, what brand of fitted did you use at night? Did you find since she had sensitive skin that having the wetness right next to her skin would irritate her...or would you lay a stay dry liner inside?

Last edited by newmommy929; 07-20-2011 at 12:52 PM.
newmommy929 is offline   Reply With Quote